Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by jeff6559:
George,

Could these be adapted for a sequential fuel injection system? Throttle bodies?

Jeff

Yes they can. Go to the TWM web page and see the IDF throttle bodies.

It has the same advantage as a IR EFI manifold as a IDF Carb manifold height.

The IDF manifold is the way to go if you want to stay under the screen, with the exception of the Coefield set up which mount the fuel injectors in the manifold to reduce the height of the throttle bodies. The throttle bodies for that set up are something like 1-1/2 high insted of around 4 inches for the "Weber" throttle bodies.

I don't believe that anyone can yet tell you right now which set up has the performance advantage though. That remains to be seen.
Ok lets throw another wrench into the mix. I am interested in the manifold, but would like to see if anyone has used the 48 IDF, 44 IDF or the 40 IDF on a 351C? If yes, any advantages in going to the smaller chokes and can you choke the 48 IDF down or are you stuck with the 48's.

Does anyone know how they work well on the 351C? I have to assume the IDF is moderately better than the IDA because of the better low and mid range metering circuits?

Also I just noticed on the Weber online site, they are touting a 48 IDA with new/improved low end metering?

Is there still the problems relating to low pulse due to the large cleveland ports?

Dan brought an interest point earlier on this thread about advantages of a plenum carb setup vs. a direct runner setup. Has anyone seen the new Barry Grant inspired inline carb setup using a plenum? There's no cleveland setup yet, and who know if there ever will be one, but they are touting that it is oh so good and on the same level as injection and actually eliminates the idle loping (not necessarily good if you like it) on radical cammed V8's because the fuel metering mixture distribution is so good?
Maybe everyone is tired of hearing from me on the subject but if a 48IDA gets restrictive on a 351 what will happen with a 44 or 40 IDAnything?

A single plenum manifold for this engine would only need something like 800cfm. That's what the engine can use.

Four 2v Webers are around 2000 to 2400cfm. They lend themselves to IR, not single plenum design.

Apparently only the Australians know how the IDF's run on a Cleveland and apparently thier knowledge is largely 2v, not 4v.

My feeling is that you don't restrict an engine to increas the intake velocity.

The Australians haven't reivented the wheel. They just copied the work that Ford did on thier aluminum high port heads and refined it a bit.

As far as what the new improved IDA is, they have added a third transition hole to the carb.
It can be done to an existing carb.

What it does is theoretically eliminated the flat spot in the rpm range in the 2800 tp 3000 rpm area.

Some people say it is effective. I don't see the diffeence. Some days the flat spot is there, other days it is not.
Last edited by panteradoug
Link copied to your clipboard.