Skip to main content

Finally was able to get up to Superior Auto Engineering in Anaheim and get on their dyno.
These guys do all the tuning for Hilborn, especially for the racers.
Impressive place, they are all serious racers themselves and great to work with.
Did 4 pulls, only turning to 6K rpm since I have 2 hours on the motor. Started with 418 rwhp and tuned it to 456 rwhp on the 4th pull. The hp graph was still going straight up at 6K rpm and the dyno guy ( Joe ) said there was probably another 25-30 hp avialable if I wanted
to rev it higher.
By their calculations the motor put out 547 bhp
from the 456rwhp, which is about what I had hoped for.
I plan to put some freeway miles on it this weekend.
I also want to thank Dan Jones for his help and coupe3w for the great CHI-4V heads. Oh yes, Marlin Jack, for getting me the pilot bearing so quickly.
Most importantly, John Buckman ( jb1490) for working his butt off ( every afternoon for weeks )when nothing seemed to fit or want to go together. He didn't even know me prior, just as a memebr of the San Diego Pantera Club and yet there he was. Says alot about Pantera owners
and their generosity.
Lastly, this forum has been an amzing source of
really helpful info and I sure appreciate everyones input.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pantera_408100_0275
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you all for the kind words, it was a long process with lots of help from some talented car
guys.
To answer a few questions; the torque curve was
340ft lbs @ 3k rpm to 428ft lbs at 5.5K rpm @ the rearwheels.( the graph I got was from 3k rpm to 7K rpm only)
The CHI-4V were ported and the exhaust ports exit widened and then port matched to the Hilborn intake. Because of the higher flow numbers ( couldn't find the paperwork from the machine shop, but remember somthing in the high 300's.) which is why I went with a custom ground hyd roller cam from Isky. Those numbers were 621 lift int. and 631 lift exh with 298int and 302 exh duration. We went with 110 lobe seperation to help bleed off the 10:6-1 comprerssion so it wouldn't rattle ( which it doesn't at 36 degrees total advance) What was surprising is the lack of cam lope, which I'm told is from the tall Hilborn stacks. It sounds real good but nothing like you would expect from a cam that big.
I was told to put a couple humdred miles on the engine and bring the car back to Superior for additional tuning. They expect bigger numbers
especially if they can rev it closer to 7K rpm. I'm not convinced ( hesitant really ) that I should to do that. It's too bad that I've built a motor that makes a ton of horsepower between
5,500 and 7,000 rpm and is in a block that can't take much of that. Oh well, it sure sounds good and I know its there on occassion. Also, I have a bunch of good parts that will be posted for sale soon, including excellent closed chamber 4V heads, crane hyd roller cam, P&J's quiet gear drive,and 6 childs & albert rods with carillo (sp?)flat top pistons for a stoker.I'll try to get those posted in the next couple of weeks.
I would imagine any differences in HP or torque would purely come from manifold designs of carb vs EFI manifolds and their airflow characteristics. I hardly think the engine cares where its fuel comes from. Benefits of EFI would be a much higher resolution of fuel delivery for various engine conditions. If equipped with a system to control spark it could also free up some power in some areas as well.
Mike your motor sure is pretty, good job, congrats on the results.

Advantages of Fuel Injection compared to Carburetors from a performance perspective:

(1) Better fuel atomization at low engine speeds. About 15% more torque & BHP below 2000 rpm, lessens or eliminates cylinder washing.

(2) Port injection offers better fuel distribution over a single four barrel carburetor when used with a common plenum manifold. This is not an advantage with independent runner systems.

(3) Not affected by G-Forces during acceleration, braking and cornering. Fuel sloshing in the fuel bowl of a carburetor affects the carburetor worse and worse as G forces rise.

(4) Not affected by rough terrain (off-road racing)

(5) No reversion, which has been a stumbling block for engine builders installing independent runner systems employing carburetors.

(6) Easier to design torque enhancing long runner intake manifolds for fuel injection. The tightly curled manifolds that are so common today would not work with carburetors. The fuel mixed with the air by a carburetor mounted on the inlet of such a manifold would be thrown out of suspension by centrifugal force.

(7) Tuning with a lap-top is faster than changing jets.

-G
Last edited by George P
Hello Mike.............. very nice ride, If you are running electronic injection make sure the shop gives you a copy the latest configuration file on a USB drive. Having it could be of big help down the road. If you don't mind me asking, how did you mount the front Air Dam on your car. It looks removable to me. If so, it must make getting the car on a trailer alot easier? How is it mounted ?

Regards............ Doug.H #6434

Attachments

Images (1)
  • JeffsGroup4FrontFrame
Last edited by George P
Hi Doug,

I ended up taking the air dam off as it was hitting eveything. Worse yet, I have an inclined driveway and there wasan't any way
to get in or out without scraping the front.
It bolts right to the front of the car, so it comes off pretty easy.
I recently bought a smaller metal spolier from P.I. Motorsports and am in the process of putting that on as we speak.
Link copied to your clipboard.