Skip to main content

Hi Guys,

It has been a very long year, but my 408C is finally back in the Cat. Hilborn replaced everything in the injection and with some good advice from Dan Jones, have had a stout motor
built with a lot of good hipo parts.we haven't started it yet, but will let you know how it sounds when we do. After having many hot rods, boats and race cars, I have found it is more fun to drive a Panterta then work on it. Man is it tight in the engine bay!!
Thanks too to everyone that has submitted to the various forums, they were an incredible source of info.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pantera_408-DSC01642
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the interest in this motor. I found a pristine 4 bolt main 351C block that was hot tanked and magged to insure integrity and then added a scat/probe 408 stroker kit with flat top pistons. After talking with Dan Jones ( what an amzing guy) and reading about his stroker results, went with his suggestion to use the 4V CHI heads so I could reasonably go with a 10:5 compression ratio using California's 91 octane fuel. The heads were ported and ISKY ground a custom hydraulic roller cam that spece'd out at 621 int and 631 exh lift and 298 and 304 duration respectively. Lobe seperation is 110, which should help with the compression ratio. Also, from what I saw in similiar 408 stroker motors using CHI heads, they flow so well that you don't need alot of ignition advance, which also helps deal with poor gas and 10:5 C/R. All the machine
work and balancing was done including using the oil restritor kits, an extra oil line from the front of the motor to the back and drilling an extra oiling hole right above the cam/distributor gear. It was the lack of these precautions ( and poor oiling of the crank and bearings ) that the 393C stroker, formerly in my car, threw a rod at 6700 miles.
As far as the Hilborn injection, it is the same unit that was in the car and has a small box for adjusting about 8 differnet settings, from idle to WOT and is very user friendly. It worked great, even with multiple vacuum leaks in the hoses.
As far as power, I'm expecting ( from what similiar motors made in Dyno testing ) 540-550 hp at the crank. I've also bought the Big Throat Mufflers fom Jerry at PIM to reduce exhaust restriction, so it should sound really mean. A special thanks goes out to Dan Jones, Marlin Jack, Jerry at PIM, Tommy at Extreme Pantera,
Dennis at Perf Pantera and all the great contibutors to the Detomaso Forum threads that added so much help. I can't wait to get back on the road.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Mike's_Pantera100_0197
Carlsbad Car Guy I am also in the beginning stages of building a 408C. I am very interested in the additional external oil line you added. Can you give me more details? Sizes? Where to drill? Etc. I will be building this engine myself. I have sucessfully built two strokers in the past (347, and 432W). This will be my first time with a Cleveland so any advice you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks
quote:
here is an old pict of the 365. I can not figure out how to attach more than one file at a time.

Gorgeous! And it's PLY yellow too (Pantera Light Yellow)! Big Grin

You can post multiple pictures if they're hosted elsewhere online, then use the image icon to add the link tags, and the images will appear in one post. If attaching the picture ot the post, you need to make multiple posts.
quote:
Originally posted by coupe3w:
Hey Mike, I'm the guy that sold you the heads (Jim). Car looks awesome. Are you going to dyno tune it? Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Jim. I plan to have it dyno'd soon after I have few miles on it. By the way, thanks again for your follow through when the postal service screwed up the shipping. Also, the heads were everything you said they were... nice to do business with an honest person !
Link copied to your clipboard.