Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wilkinson is doing the install. Engine was $33749 delivered from Summit last Summer. The list price is now North of $38k from Summit. Various bits and pieces such as computers, air cleaners, forged axles, spicer halfshafts, brakes, installation of axles, shipping, degas bottles, intercooler pump, vapor purge tank, etc.. probably were another $10-12K. Spare block was $2700 but I'm not counting it in the total as well as some other spares purchased.. When it is done I'll total up the bits and pieces and post them as a rough guide to anyone wanting to do something similiar. There is still a lot of bits and pieces left to be purchased. The car is a 72L that I parted out a lot of the pieces I can't use last winter. It was running and roadworthy before I decided I needed a more modern powerplant.
It looks like a crate motor from a Ford GT. I saw one on eBay a year or so ago bidding up over 15k and I thought it was getting a bit high. Looks like I was wrong, I guess it was a bargain!

The Ford GT guys are getting an additional 50-100hp with just computer tweaks. Moreso with smaller blower pulleys and exhausts. You can really pull alot out of that motor! It seems 750hp is attainable with bolt-ons.

It's going to be a great installation! I can't wait to hear how it performs in a Pantera.

Michael
Yes it is a Ford GT crate motor. I'm adding the Ford Racing Pulley to it for an additional 100-150 horse power. I'll see how that works before deciding on going to a larger supercharger. The GT folks are getting ~550 RWHP with the stock motor and around 800-850 RWHP with the larger supercharger. I think that Accufab put one on an engine dyno at about 625 FWHP. The GT folks seem to be totalling out a car every couple of weeks.

I've heard that Ford's cost for the engine is $11K. The following is the link to the SAE paper describing the GT engine.

http://www.roushind.com/news_downloads/tech_papers/2004-01-1252.pdf
Last edited by George P
quote:
Yes it is a Ford GT crate motor.

I believe I have spoken with Steve about this swap. That is if you are also the owner who is using the Ricardo six speed? And adding ABS and traction control?

I was very concerned about the serious hacking of the wheel house in the photos, but Steve had said he basically sliced away the rear frame of the car and started over. I trust Steve and his work, and figure when it is all finished, the concerns raised by the photos will have been successfully addressed.

Is your car the one I've talked to Steve about?

Larry
The car with the Ricardo I believe belongs to a guy named Mark. It's going to be very expensive :<) but also very slick and much nicer than my car since it is having every nut and bolt taken out and freshened. The Ricardo is much larger than the ZF and causes additional surgery to the car. I'm the second car with a GT engine that Steve is doing and I'm sticking with the ZF. The amount and difficulty of the work required and Steves reputation for quality is why I'm having him do the work. So far it looks like I need far less frame work than the previous car. Steve says that he has several other inquiries about using the ZF with the GT motor. I imagine if Steve gets a workable traction control system developed he can sell a few to the Ford GT owners. I'd want one too for my car since the car may have too much motor and not enough driver!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.