Skip to main content

For Sale - Rare �71 �pushbutton� Pantera

These early cars had many unique features. This is the 3rd Pantera imported into the U.S (S/N 1288)! Original owner sold it to me in �86. (Photos at http://mysite.verizon.net/res0q9zn ) Lots of upgrades:

Body

- Completely stripped to bare metal during restoration
- Repainted PPG 9300 black
- Engine bay finished smooth and painted to match exterior
- Unmodified body � no flares, wings or spoilers

Engine

- Extensively reworked polished aluminum SVO C302 heads (originally prepared and run on Tom Gloy�s Trans-Am race car)
- Polished SVO spider manifold w/ custom �Stage 3� Holley 735 from Jet Performance
- Solid lifter cam w/SS roller rockers
- Custom 3� exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers
- Complete exhaust system ceramic coated w/polished silver finish
- Dual remote oil filters
- All oil and fuel lines braided stainless w/AN fittings.

Cooling

- Stainless coolant bottles relocated with aluminum mounting bracket
- Heads modified with air-bypass return lines (self-bleeding system)
- Aluminum radiator
- All hoses blue silicon

ZF

- Rebuilt & Safety wired by RBT
- Taller 5th gear
- Spicer half-shafts

Interior

- Corbeau racing seats & Sabelt 4-point harnesses (also included are stock belts & seats recovered in leather w/original pattern & in perfect condition)
- Custom 4-point roll bar
- Original radio delete plate
- Personal steering wheel

Wheels/ Tires

- Front 8� rare (original) single slot Campis
- Rear 10� one-of-a-kind custom single slot Campis to match the fronts

Brakes/ Chassis

- Dual rear calipers and larger master cylinder w/adjustable proportioning valve
- Modified pedal and fulcrum point for removal of vacuum booster
- Powder coated A-arms w/Delrin bushings and zerk fittings
- Sphere-bar and polyurethane sway-bar mounts w/ 7/8� rear sway-bar
- Modified upper rear A-arms for improved roll center / geometry (adjustable)
- Aluminum shocks w/Eibach springs
- Aluminum engine bay brace
- Polished stainless steel firewall
- Custom strut brace attached directly across front shock tower mounts
- Bump steer kit

Electrical

- All engine bay wiring redone with mil-spec teflon wire
- Gel cell mounted in rear behind passenger seat (as shown on original Pantera cut-away drawing)
- Polished aluminum single wire alternator
- New Hi-torque gear reduction starter

Misc.

- Lots of original parts including toolkit, spare, luggage tray (with custom removable satin liner), engine cover/screen, seats, misc.

This is not a project car. I've owned it for 17 years and made many improvements and upgrades over that time. It�s ready to go and lots of fun to drive. To quote Don Byers after driving the car - �When it launches it�s fast � eye opening fast!� Located in Southern CA.
Price: $39,500
For additional information or photos please contact: Dave at detomaso.pantera@verizon.net, (310) 372-9467

[This message has been edited by davek (edited 12-30-2003).]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Fire & Isis

That�s a very nice car shown in PI issue 113 (pages 16-18), but no, this is not the same car. Some of the differences I see from looking at the pictures:

- The car in PI is a European model. This is a U.S. car � the third one.
- Externally the bodies look the same e.g. all the correct trim for a �pushbutton� car, but my car has mufflers and tips that angle upwards rather than straight out. Also the wheels on the car in PI are aftermarket. Mine are the single slot Campis (2 sets included � a one-off set w/10� rears and a stock set of single slots).
- The engine and engine compartments between the cars are very different (please see description above).
- On the interior I don�t have a stereo installed or any cutouts added for speakers. I have installed racing seats, but the car comes with the stock seats recovered in leather, which appear the same as the car pictured.

Clicking on the link above includes the �)� at the end. Sorry about that. Try either a cut-paste with just the URL � and without the �)� - or click on this: http://www.pim.net/garagesale1102e.jpg

Regards,
Dave

[This message has been edited by davek (edited 07-01-2003).]
This car is back on the market!

Buyer backed out and decided that he's not a Pantera kind of guy and now wants a Corvette.

Interestingly, he was the first person to actually look at the car, and offered to buy it after looking at �about half a dozen� other Panteras. This was despite the fact that I still hadn�t reinstalled the exhaust so we couldn�t even go for a ride! (It was removed to install a new gear-reduction starter.)

The entire exhaust system is now ceramic coated to his specs (polished silver finish). I�m making further improvements and plan to have the car at the Concorso Italiano in Monterey next month.

I hope to see many of you there. And please e-mail or call me if you have questions about the Pantera before then or would like to see photos.

Regards,
Dave
detomaso.pantera@verizon.net
(310) 372-9467

Hi Dave

The car sounds interesting. If you notice the above post cars wanted zero1. I am looking for a straight example to ship here to New Zealand as I am living here now for a while. Under NZ transpotation laws the cars now to be imported must be almost to manufactures specs and converted to right hand drive. early models are exempt from RHD conversion. The cars all have to go through a compliance manefest So a modified Pantera will not due. Send me your photo's if the car hasn't been sold campaul1@xtra.co.nz thanks Randall
Hi Randall,

I've posted several photos of the Pantera at http://mysite.verizon.net/res0q9zn. While the car appears original from the outside, the engine is not original (see - http://mysite.verizon.net/res0q9zn/id7.html ).

If there are any specific photos or information you need to verify compliance with your manifest please let me know. I also have many of the original parts not shown in the photos such as the seats, engine cover, etc.

Also please note that I've updated my e-mail address in the above posts.

Thanks for your interest.
Dave
detomaso.pantera@verizon.net

Link copied to your clipboard.