Skip to main content

"I also have some other goodies like the new Wilwood brakes to put on as well, and carbon fiber side mirrors"

If you are considering glass mounted mirrors like I have on my car, I would suggest sitting in the vehicle and have someone hold the mirror to the glass where it would be mounted. Make sure that you are comfortable with the angle of the mirror glass.

I personally like to have my mirror glass angled more to the outside then is allowed on my mirrors.

footnote edit: WOW everybody-sorry about the big pic...this computer stuff is hit or miss for me sometimes Smiler

Attachments

Images (1)
  • outside_rear_view_mirror
quote:
Originally posted by MacMan:
Yeah, you're right. I push my mirrors out really far, compared to what most people (and manufacturers) expect. Fortunately I am going with a set of mirrors that will adjust as far as needed:

Mirrors Link

I have a set of these in black with an extra set of convex lenses if you are interested, I bought them for the GT40 and decided to go with something else.

Ron
quote:
Originally posted by tajon:
Oh Brooke is back! I'm still waiting to hear those 180's.

Not back, just lurking and drooling! Cool
Unfortunately still no progress. Still very busy with getting the business back on track.

This is why I love reading about other peoples progress and projects. Although my P car sits in the corner of the shop waiting for my free time, 4NHOTROD and MacMan are getting it done.

MacMan has created quite a animal here, its come a long ways from the car it was when I saw it here in Utah years ago. I love the color and all the subtle mods he has done to personalize it while keeping it true and identifiable as being a Pantera.
Love your car. Beautifull color and body work. I like the side rear view mirrors out really far also. I found some testarosa mirrors that reached out far enough to see past the group 4 flairs and pretty much eleminated any blind spot. This picture doesnt look that great but they give the car that low-wide look.
Rick

Yeah, you're right. I push my mirrors out really far, compared to what most people (and manufacturers) expect. Fortunately I am going with a set of mirrors that will adjust as far as needed:

Attachments

Images (1)
  • front_view-copy
quote:
MacMan has created quite a animal here, its come a long ways from the car it was when I saw it here in Utah years ago. I love the color and all the subtle mods he has done to personalize it while keeping it true and identifiable as being a Pantera.

Wow, thank you so much! That's crazy that you saw the car in Utah! Here it is the day that I first saw it. Awe...

Lots of work still to do, but things are quickly coming together. Got the carbon fiber hood and decklid back from Paint. The sides were painted body color, leaving a carbon fiber stripe down the middle. The stripe will be continued over the roof, and down the front and rear of the car with fake (but very convincing) carbon fiber vinyl.

Last edited by macman
quote:
Originally posted by r mccall:
Car looks amazing!! The brushed look on the rims looks spectaculer!! WAY better than than the polished look!!!

Glad you think so. It sure seemed like a big risk when I broke out the sand paper. Smiler "Am I sure I want to do this?" Heh

Got lots of comments on the wheels this morning at Cars and Coffee. Everyone loved the finish, so I'd have to call it a success.
StickerCity just came out with a new vinyl that has a 3Dimensional surface so that it catches the light like carbon fiber does:
http://www.stickercity.com/pro...d=21813&cat=0&page=1
It should be a better match than what I have at the moment. I'll probably switch to that stuff soon. I was using their older stuff, which is simply printed. Looks acceptable at a distance, but that's it. Doesn't stand up to a closer look. I'll still grab a pic for you, but I'm pretty sure the new stuff is the way to go.

-Chris
April 2nd, 2011
After a long break, I’ve come back to the Pantera for another round. This time the focus is on finishing the interior and engine compartment. This is the new lump of iron and aluminum which is going in. After literally years of thinking about the motor, I ultimately went with my gut and I am really excited about the end result. This is a Windsor stroker motor with Webers that just put down 592hp on the engine dyno. I think it’s beautiful.

April 24th, 2011
Jaime and I have been working on the Pantera dash. It’s the last piece of the interior that needs to be redone. Once it was out of the car and stripped, most of the holes were fiberglassed over. We won’t be using the old factory vents and such, so we made new holes, sanded, prepped, etc. Today we covered the dash in dense foam padding. I just manned the spray adhesive while Jaime made patterns and trimmed. Tomorrow the upholstery work begins. We have some very cool ideas in the works, so hopefully all goes to plan! Pardon the low res photos, but I left my fancy camera at work and shot these with the iPod.

April 30th, 2011
More photos to show from the Pantera.

Pic with the dash removed and the new Vintage Air unit:

The electronics are moved to the right side of the engine compartment for easy access.

The gas tank was rusty inside. I always had to run fresh fuel filters to keep the gunk out of the motor. Since the motor was out, it was time to freshen up the gas tank. It was boiled out and re-sealed.

Extra holes welded up in the engine bay. Everything is removed and ready for paint:

And here is the engine bay back from paint. Looks nice, cleaned up, and the semi-gloss black will keep the focus on the motor and trans.

May 14th, 2011
Check it out! Jaime and I finished up the Pantera dash this morning. Would have finished last weekend but we ran out of adhesive. I visited five stores on Sunday, looking for more but nobody carries it. We gave up and had to order it on-line. At any rate, the dash is done now. It’s not perfect, but that’s how these things go. Still looks impressive overall, and much improved over the 39 year old vinyl that it replaced.

The material is Alcantara up top to reduce windshield glare, and Ultraleather on the rest. Blue contrast stitching follows along the top edge where the two materials meet.

Thanks to Jaime for working so hard on it. Next step is to get it into the car.

May 25th, 2011
The dash is back in the car and the electronics are hooked up. Seats, center console, various bits and pieces still need to be put in. The Vintage Air system really blows! Looks nice. I gotta see if I can change the air control knob lights to blue so they’ll match the rest of the interior.

The transmission is back from its rebuild and polish. Looks amazing, and it should, considering what it costs to rebuild a ZF. :P

May 18th, 2011
Everything is still being hooked up, but it’s sitting in place on motor mounts. Yay! I don’t think the engine and trans could “pop” much more against that semi-gloss black engine bay.

The deck lid has to be cut a little bit so that it can close and we will need to find a solution for the engine cover. I am also going to get taller velocity stacks so that they are slightly taller than the deck lid.

June 4th, 2011
Mmmmmm, Forgeline wheels. I have waited soooooooo long for these (17 weeks to be exact). This is the first time they’ve done nickel plated deep dish lips of this magnitude. Big Grin Satin black, center-lock centers. Titanium fasteners. This is pic taken while the wheels were being assembled. I’ll post new pics soon.

More progress in the engine bay too. Axles are back in. Chassis brace is polished and installed. New motor mounts, pulleys, belts, etc. AirCon condenser and new fan in place. I thought I had new velocity stacks, but the company sent me steel stacks instead of the aluminum ones that were advertised. Uh, no. Ordered another set from a different company. Fingers crossed.

July 6th, 2011
I worked with Josh over at PIMotorsports to come up with this design for the new engine cover. Webers always require a little trimming of the deck lid, and that’s where most Pantera owners leave it. Cut a hole and call it good. But I wanted it to look finished, as if the car was designed to have Webers from the beginning. I wanted something that would sit flush with the top of the velocity stacks and we also needed the engine cover to remain rigid.

So this new engine cover evenly wraps around the velocity stacks (not pictured) and ramps up to their max height. It ramps down and sits flush with the deck lid at the back. It’s seen here in bare fiberglass, but it’s off to paint this week so we should see the finished product next week. So exciting!

July 22nd, 2011
We are very close to being able to drive the Pantera home. Looks like next week everything will be buttoned up and ready to go. I have some new pics of the engine cover for you. Once I get it home I’ll smooth and paint the trimmed pieces of the deck lid, and get to work on a bunch of other little bits and pieces.

August 15th, 2011
Two years ago this month we were putting fender flares on the Pantera. How crazy. It seems like just a few months ago.

I’ve been working hard on the Pantera for the last two weekends. Nothing terribly visual, just a bunch of important odds and ends. I have a good number of cuts, scrapes and bruises, and I think a separated rib.

Swapped in a new 100 amp alternator. Got the timing and fuel pressure set properly. Have the carbs pretty close. Put the rest of the interior back together. Painted the under side of the decklid and cleaned up the cut-outs around the webers. Re-painted the engine cover semi-gloss black. Moved the throttle cable to a higher position on the gas pedal, etc, etc.

Drove the car around all weekend to put some miles on the motor. The ol Pantera gets tons of attention and drinks plenty of gas. Every time I parked the car people were taking photos or asking questions about it. I took a couple quick pics myself to show the finished engine cover and decklid set-up.

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Price:
MacMan,
Are you just going to run w/o an air cleaner? Doesn't that shorten engine life?

Real men don't need air cleaners! Smiler It gets parked in the garage, it doesn't rain in SoCal and I don't put a ton of mileage on it, so I don't expect it'll be an issue. Whiplash has never run filters on his either, and I got a ride in it a month or two back, and the thing still screams. Smiler

I just put screens on them to keep anything big out.

I'll keep an eye on the oil and see if I can get a sense of it getting dirty more quickly.
quote:
Originally posted by pantera2077:
As with everyone else you car came out amazing.

I too was wondering about which vingtage air unit you used like ktmike asked?

Are the electronic controls for temp and flapper setting part of the vintage air unit or sourced seperately? Looks like a good solution to eliminate those pesky sliders.

Thanks!!! I'm still gonna dig up those part numbers for you. All the AC related parts, the vents and the controls are all Vintage Air stuff. That was my big concern for the AC, was getting rid of the cable sliders. :P
quote:
Originally posted by MacMan:
quote:
MacMan,
Are you just going to run w/o an air cleaner? Doesn't that shorten engine life?

Real men don't need air cleaners! Smiler It gets parked in the garage, it doesn't rain in SoCal and I don't put a ton of mileage on it, so I don't expect it'll be an issue. Whiplash has never run filters on his either, and I got a ride in it a month or two back, and the thing still screams. Smiler

I just put screens on them to keep anything big out.

I'll keep an eye on the oil and see if I can get a sense of it getting dirty more quickly.

Please let us know how it goes. It doesn't rain that much here in Utah either, but we definitely have dust... I was under the impression that air cleaners can be a fire hazard if the webers aren't tuned correctly.

It does look great, by the way!
Wow, beautiful build. I really like what you did with the fiberglass Weber plate -- looks factory.

The carburetor inspired dash ducts look nice too -- did you make these too? I am interested in what you used for the Vintage Air unit as well. Does it interfere with your A/V equipment? Do you have any A/V stuff in your car -- I cannot remember from the photos I just looked at 2 minutes ago; scary.

Looks Great!

Mark
So we used the Compac Gen II system. It has heat/cool/defrost. Part number is 68000-VUZ-A.

Those carb inspired vents are optional Vintage Air bits. I love em. I really want to take the blades off and have them brass plated to complete the look. Smiler

I don't currently have any audio equipment in the car (besides the mufflers), but my center console has plenty of room. I have a pocket where the radio would go.

We DID loose the glovebox. That was the only sacrifice. The dash was totally smoothed over there. I don't have any gloves anyway. Wink
I've been watching this thread and don't know where to start on my comments.....the original car was nice to start with... then it started to transform into THE DREAM. Where do you start your compliments: the paint, the flares, the engine, interior? I can only imagine the time you have spent on the car. Absolutely outstandingly beautiful work!

Isn't it illegal to run an air cleaner on Webers! Well maybe immoral, the horns look way too cool. LOL The sound they give is amazing. You can run a screen to keep the big pieces from going in the engine or a screen and a foam dust catcher. I've seen full blown air cleaners run on Webers but that kills the look. I ran the foam dust catcher type and it was pretty good protection, maybe not for dirt roads but I don't think they'll be driving much of that.

What size chokes are you running? Is it dialed in? I remember it was an experience dialing it in.

FOAM air cleaners are dangerous on Webers regardless of tune, but paper ones are fine. K & Ns are maybe OK. What happens in IR intake manifolds is, very strong air pulses go back and forth from carb tip to intake valve, and carburetors are dumb devices: they will meter gas in either direction. So at resonant rpms, you get a small cloud of gas hanging above the carb ram tubes (sometimes called 'reversion'). The cloud soaks foam air cleaners; now all you need is a small backfire on starting and the whole thing bursts into flame. ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher when running Webers! I've had 2 Weber-fires and my a... was saved the first time by a passing trucker with an extinguisher; the second time I had my own... The nice foam cleaners wound up in a ditch.
Next thing that happens if you don't get the fire out pronto is, the 8 small aux venturis that are in the middle of each carb throat are made of pot-metal, which melts at low temp in the fire and runs down the short intakes to the cylinder. If an intake valve happens to be open, molten metal runs into that cylinder and hardens on the piston. Guess what happens when you try to restart the motor? Time for a couple of new pistons!
FWIW, EFI does not meter fuel in reverse so this doesn't happen; just another little-known advantage of EFI.
quote:
Originally posted by Bosswrench:

FOAM air cleaners are dangerous on Webers regardless of tune, but paper ones are fine. K & Ns are maybe OK. What happens in IR intake manifolds is, very strong air pulses go back and forth from carb tip to intake valve, and carburetors are dumb devices: they will meter gas in either direction. So at resonant rpms, you get a small cloud of gas hanging above the carb ram tubes (sometimes called 'reversion'). The cloud soaks foam air cleaners; now all you need is a small backfire on starting and the whole thing bursts into flame. ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher when running Webers! I've had 2 Weber-fires and my a... was saved the first time by a passing trucker with an extinguisher; the second time I had my own... The nice foam cleaners wound up in a ditch.
Next thing that happens if you don't get the fire out pronto is, the 8 small aux venturis that are in the middle of each carb throat are made of pot-metal, which melts at low temp in the fire and runs down the short intakes to the cylinder. If an intake valve happens to be open, molten metal runs into that cylinder and hardens on the piston. Guess what happens when you try to restart the motor? Time for a couple of new pistons!
FWIW, EFI does not meter fuel in reverse so this doesn't happen; just another little-known advantage of EFI.

WOW! I can see that happening, I had lots of backfires with the Webers but thank god never a fire. I guess I lucked out. Thanks for posting.
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Charlton:
WOW!

I would only make two changes to that car:

1) black out the chrome trim on the Group4 tail light frames

2) change the ownership into my name

Amazing detail on your car. Those wheels are perfect.

Mark

Hahah, awesome. Yeah, I should black out the tail light trim. That'd be easy.
There are quite a few nice cars out there for sure, many members here have beautiful looking cars. But your car is probably the most unbelievably spectacular car I can ever remember seeing. The car reflects your great taste for what looks good and what works well together. Beyond your highly developed artistic eye, which is not so common, you have the talent to put it all together. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Breathtaking.

I happen to agree with Mark Charlton, I think if you black out the chrome around the Grp4 tail lights, the car comes together as one nice symetrical whole. The chrome tail light border looks slightly loud compared to the rest of the car and brings your eye to it...maybe more than what you want. It's just a small detail, but IMO I'd black it out.

But either way your car is a marvel to behold.

Take care,

David
quote:
Originally posted by 4NHOTROD:
I lost a race to a guy that won't race me again and now claims to be the local Pantera king.

burn rubber

Will, it WAS a surprising upset. Even I didn't expect to beat you by such a large margin — especially with my totally-stock car, but I NEVER said I was the "local Pantera King".

Mark
roll on floor
quote:
Originally posted by DeMopuar:
MacMan,

What did you have to do to the hub to get the Centerlock wheels to attach properly? Can you give some details on how you got this done? I really like that on your car -- don't see centerlocks very often on street cars. Looks great!

Mark

Thanks!!! The centerlocks use a hub adaptor. No modification required. I talked to Forgeline at length about strength, etc. and they are extremely confident. The car made 600 hp and I have drag radials out back. No problems. I believe that any of their wheels can be made for the centerlock conversion.

Check out Forgeline's page on the conversion:
http://www.forgeline.com/produ...lock-conversion.html

It's very much worth mentioning that we had to use the "tall" hub adaptor for the front (as well as the rear). The first set of wheels came with the short adaptor that wouldn't clear the spindle.
quote:
Chris,

Wow, I just looked at the Forgeline wheels. Eeker

Looks great. How are the Webers?

I sent you a PM a while back, too.

The Webers are doing great! I think the intake has a slight oil leak so I'll have to re-do that at some point, but everything else is perfect. Having a lot of fun driving it on the weekends. Starts up easily and idles immediately. Good stuff.
I've never seen any reversion issues. Didn't even know what that was honestly. Had to look it up just now. No fire or fuel out of the webers as far as I have seen. I have aluminum mesh screens on the top of the stacks and they are still nice and clean. No signs of anything unwanted. No popping, back firing, etc.

Got the webers and intake from Pierce Manifolds. Good prices. They asked for some details such as the rev range, displacement and cam specifications. They sent everything pre-assembled so that I wouldn't have to figure out the linkages or anything. They were late getting the plate for the underside of the intake manifold so the machine shop fab'd one instead. Had an issue with the linkage popping off but that was easy to fix with a couple fender washers.

The webers had a nasty flat spot 2500 to 2800 rpm's. Everything else was good. I tweaked and tuned the mixture and reset and tuned to try to fix it. Couldn't get it. Finally called Augie Delgado, who is a Weber wizard. He gave me larger idle jets and whola! Runs like a champ now. Very smooth.

I would be interested to see how the car would run with a more traditional set up, but I can't imagine that I'd ever swap out the Webers long term. Just too cool and too much fun.
17x9.5 in the front. 3.25" backspacing.

18x12's in the rear. 3" backspacing.

Could easily go with wider wheels, but I went with sizes that would give me good tire options. I love the new meaty rear tires and short fronts that I have on there now.

I sent the measurements to Forgeline. Looked at the old wheels I had on there, measured them, and corrected the numbers so the new wheels would be perfect.

I'll be sure to take pictures of the adapter next time I pull a wheel.
I still have a small list of things that need to be done to the Pantera before I’d really consider it “finished”, but I’m happy with the outward appearance so it seemed like a good time to get some real photos. I contacted Jens Lucking, photographer extraordinaire, and asked him if he’d be interested. We planned for a day spent driving around Long Beach and LA. Jens scoped out the locations ahead of time. All I had to do was drive.

It was a long day but Jens was amazing. He is a true car lover and I think it shows in his work and the amount of effort he puts into every shot. He even pushed the ‘ol Pantera across three lanes of traffic on I-5 when the headers apparently overheated the MSD ignition system.

Anyhow, he’s awesome and affordable. Can’t thank him enough. If you need anything photographed, give him a shout! http://automotivephotographer.us/

Here are some of my favorites:

quote:
Originally posted by SN8K ETR:
I first saw your car the PIM event and was blown away. Now that I've seen your posting on the build, I have a deeper appreciation for your vision and craftsmanship. You did say, "I want a Mangusta one day." Right?! Smiler

Very cool. Smiler
Oh man I would loooove a Mangusta! One of the most beautiful cars ever built in my opinion. Definitely on the wish list.
Chris, I hope you have those shots framed and on your garage wall. My favourites are the tunnel bridge shots. I love the blues of the tunnel wall picking up the blue in the stripes (and your shirt). The juxtaposition of the oil rigs to the Pantera is great. The shoot looks like it could use more drama. This probably went too far, but...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pantera_JLP959sm2
Link copied to your clipboard.