Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by schwamiii:
This car came with the Ghia logos on the front bumperand wheel centers so i am trying to restore it to original.

Do you have a photo of what you're referencing? Most of us here are familiar with the deTomaso emblems in the places you mention. There were 'GTS' emblems for wheel centers if you're restoring one of those.

The weatherstrippping bits are readily available from the board sponsors here (PI motorsports) and others.
Although the photo's posted of the car appear period, it has obviously been modified.... sunroof, driving lights & mirrors to start with, so what is to say the remainder is original? Maybe the modifier swapped out the bumper emblem as well?

Is there specific documentation to suggest the car was factory supplied with different emblems?
The particular car shown is one of the "mid-era" prototypes.

DeTomaso built the car as shown, although I suspect the mirror is from a Mustang, like many cars received from the dealer when new.
(Mirrors were not on the Pantera when they left Italy.)

It would seem that the bumper badge is the same as used on the (USA) GTS variant.

As to the wheel centers, perhaps one can source them from other cars that Ghia built.

With one-off cars like this, finding parts can be very challenging.

Good Hunting!

Chuck
FWIW, I believe the hood and decklid were first used on the Pantera 270 and Pantera 290 show cars. Their s/ns were 02306 and 02363. These so-called 'entry level' Panteras were powered by Capri V-6 engines, and after lukewarm reception at the Turin cars show, the cars were returned to DeTomaso, the non-stock parts stripped off and the machines rebuilt and sold as 'normal' Panteras. The 270 is now in England with a 351C in it.
My guess is, when the factory dissolved and the parts all were sold off, someone bought them and reconstructed a 'custom' Pantera. For more on such one-offs within the production cars, see the Nov.2010 POCA Newsletter.
quote:
My guess is, when the factory dissolved and the parts all were sold off, someone bought them and reconstructed a 'custom' Pantera.

I doubt it the photos are period, long before the factory closed... This car was documented as being produced for a Ford Executive IIRC.

Julian
Pete,

(schwamiii) I just received your direct e-mail, and replied, but your e-mail bounced see:

"This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed:

<SCHWAMIII@aol.com>"

This is REAL common with crappy AOL (O'hell).

If you can contact me from another e-mail address, I can help with your questions.

Chuck
Link copied to your clipboard.