Skip to main content

I plan on running 8 stack E.F.I. on my car and I'm looking for opinions on what is the current state of the art available today. Holley seems like the way to go for ECU but I'm not sure who makes the best Manifold and throttle bodies. I'm looking at Borla, Inglese, and Hillborn but are there others I should consider? Do any of these companies cast their own manifolds...if not then who does? How do you determine throttle body size? The engine is a 408 cleveland with iron 4v heads, it made 500 H.P. on the dyno with a 750 Holley on an Edelbrock manifold. I also intend to run 180 headers if that matters.

Thanks, Randy

Last edited by George P
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Randy, “state of the art” has more to do with controls and ignition than it does with hard parts. As always, the big question will be which manifold to use. I believe there are two readily available Weber manifolds: the Hall Pantera IDA manifold and Australian IDF manifold. Most throttle bodies have an IDA flange but I’m pretty sure they’re available for the IDF manifold from Jenvey in the UK. Once you’ve decided on a manifold, the rest becomes a matter of selecting parts and an ECU. Holley is an excellent choice. 

Thanks David, I thought I heard somewhere that the Borla manifold is a copy of the Hall manifold but has a built in vacuum plenum. Does that sound right? From their website:

"Cast in A356 alloy and machined in precision CNC equipment the manifold has cast-in plenum facilities for the MAP sensor and the Idle Air Control"

Are the Hall manifolds still being produced or are they selling old stock? The pictures on the Borla website and the Inglese website look to be the same manifold. 

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Redline of Australia is the original manufacturer of the IR manifold with the built-in vacuum box. Its a 2V manifold with enough "flange" around the runners to seal-up around the ports of a 4V head. It uses intermediate adapters allowing it to be configured for either IDA or IDF bolt patterns. For that reason, its a tall manifold.

Redline_Manifold 1Redline_Manifold 2

The Borla manifold below has a similar box, but its not the same manifold.  I'd guess they've designed their own manifold. You can see a corner of the box which has been added in the middle of the valley.

borla

Below is the Aussie Speed of Australia IDF manifold, which like the Redline manifold is a 2V manifold  with enough "flange" around the runners to seal-up around the ports of a 4V head.

Aussie Speed IDA

Below is the Hall manifold being used for IR fuel injection.

Hall Pantera mnaifold 2

Below is the Hilborn "3 piece" EFI manifold for small block Fords. It provides manifold and throttle bodies all-in-one. Each bank of throttle bodies has a one piece shaft for the butterflies. Only linkage is that connecting one bank to the other. This gets my vote.

Hilborn manifold for SBF

Attachments

Images (6)
  • Redline_Manifold 1
  • Redline_Manifold 2
  • Aussie Speed IDA
  • Hall Pantera mnaifold 2
  • Hilborn manifold for SBF
  • borla
Last edited by George P

KINSLER FUEL INJECTION          Date: 02-15-2019

1834 Thunderbird

Troy, Michigan 48084 USA

Tel: (248) 362-1145

Page #1 of 2               Fax: (248) 362-1032

www.kinsler.com

KINSLER FORD CLEVELAND SMALL BLOCK V8 with EFI FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

Description                      Dealer Price

Kinsler injection manifold assembly for Ford Cleveland head           4,569.85

on V8 block with 9.2”, or 9.5” deck. 3-piece design aluminum

castings with 2.25” diameter lower angle throttles.

Bronze throttle shaft bushings, throttle shafts, billet spring

screw linkage, butterflies, Kinsler bolt-on TPS boss for

throttle position sensor, and universal boss adapters for EFI injectors.

Manifold assembly stands ~ 10.7” tall with a 3.5” ram tube.

“Swing Set” Linkage kit; for attachment to the valley plate.             588.45         

Includes billet ‘U’ stand with ball bearing shaft supports

in each upright leg, throttle shaft, shaft stop, throttle rotational

stop, throttle arms at each end with (2) hex rod assemblies that

connect to arms on the manifold end shafts.

(This linkage allows equal opening of counter rotation throttle shafts

and a linkage pulling point parallel to the crankshaft)

Pair of KFI extruded aluminum fuel rails with mounting stanchions             557.30

With hardware and 6AN adapter fittings.

Manifold Absolute Pressure Reference Log System, (for use on           344.20

individual runner manifolds), consists of: blue/black anodized billet

log, barbed adapter fittings for log and runners of manifold, and

connecting hose. Includes labor to machine manifold for fittings.

Add $ 39.15 for quick release fittings and tubing.

Electronic engine management system, includes: Electronic Control     2,309.20

Unit (ECU) Model: Holley HP with fuel and spark control.

Standard OEM style wiring harness with power relay, and fuel pump relay.

Air temp, coolant temp, TPS for I.R. manifold, 1 Bar MAP sensor, 

Bosch Wide Band O2 sensor, software, and USB PC to ECU interface cable.

Base program EFI system for customer’s engine.                 644.00

The system will require fine tuning when installed.

Dual Hall Effect trigger (Speed/Sync) ignition distributor.            349.95

(8) EFI injectors, #10160, 40 lbs./hr. @ 45 PSI. Injectors will         680.00

support a 600 HP engine when operated at 55-60 PSI fuel rail pressure.

Bosch Fuel pump; 12-volt, in-line model #10211 with 10AN inlet and         357.70

6AN one way outlet adapter fitting. Capable of fueling 725 HP @ 50 PSI.

Continued on Page #2

File: EFI_SB_Ford_Cleveland_Holley_HP_600HP_19.DOC

KINSLER FUEL INJECTION         Date: 02-15-2019

1834 Thunderbird

Troy, Michigan 48084 USA

Tel: (248) 362-1145

Page #2 of 2           Fax: (248) 362-1032

www.kinsler.com

KINSLER FORD CLEVELAND SMALL BLOCK V8 with EFI FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

Description               Dealer Price

Adjustable pressure relief valve, K-140 model with vacuum reference     514.25

and 8AN fittings. #12104, ~34-80 PSI adjustment range.

“Monster Mesh” Pump Protector inlet filter, 25 micron stainless mesh     159.70

element, Blue or Black anodized aluminum housing with 8AN MF ends.

Fuel filter, model: “Monster Mesh”, 10-micron disposable paper element,   193.30

Blue or Black anodized aluminum housing with 8AN male flare ends,

stainless steel mounting clamp, and spare element.         

Idle Air Control log system; includes special 3AN x 1/16 pipe          590.65      

fittings, billet aluminum distribution block, GM style stepper

motor, remote high flow housing, K&N air filter, and labor to drill,

tap, and install fitting into manifold runners.

(Custom hose assemblies ordered separately).

Total: $ 11,858.55

OPTIONS:

Add Fuel and Oil Pressure Transducers for EFI system monitoring.          267.90

Upgrade exhaust gas sensor to NTK brand for improved accuracy.          99.00

Optional Imron paint finish, Silver, Red, Blue, or Orange.               130.00

Triple layer screen filters for 180 degree bell ram tubes.          499.20

UPGRADE: to billet aluminum inlet radius plates, replaces ram tubes    938.45

and ram tube adapters. Allow 8-10 weeks for delivery.

Remote thermostat housing, cast aluminum body, accepts GM style stat.     126.95

and has added 3/8 NPT port for coolant temp sensor.

Add $12.00 for painted or polished housing.

*** NOTE ****

Fuel requirements rated at ~.5 Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC)

Polishing of manifold and ram tubes available, also anodizing of ram tubes.

These systems are custom constructed for the customer's engine and application.

DELIVERY TIME WILL VARY!

PRICES SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

File: EFI_SB_Ford_Cleveland_Holley_HP_600HP_19.DOC

davidnunn posted:
osofast posted:
davidnunn posted:

I don't think they do. The only source I know of, for a high quality single TB, is Jenvey in the UK (https://store.jenvey.co.uk/thr...s/sf-individual-body). Frankly, I don't see the benefit for a V8 application. 

http://www.wilsonmanifolds.net...egory&path=79_93

I couldn't see anything there that's suitable for an 8 stack EFI intake. 

Ok, my bad. I was thinking through this stupid cold!!

Jeff

Randy, 

For your consideration, attached is a picture of a "cross-ram" EFI IR intake that Lance Nist brought to a recent Pantera Club meeting here in So Cal.

Lance also has his own line of "Pantera EFI" ECUs.

Cross Ram Intake

Haven't seen many of these intakes on Panteras, but could be an option to have both longer runners *and* visibility out the rear. (Although may not fit w/180 deg headers.)

Dave

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Cross Ram Intake
Last edited by davek
davek posted:

Randy, 

For your consideration, attached is a picture of a "cross-ram" EFI IR intake that Lance Nist brought to a recent Pantera Club meeting here in So Cal.

Lance also has his own line of "Pantera EFI" ECUs.

Cross Ram Intake

Haven't seen many of these intakes on Panteras, but could be an option to have both longer runners *and* visibility out the rear. (Although may not fit w/180 deg headers.)

Dave

Is this the Borla/Kaase 351W intake or the infamous Australian intake? Have you actually seen one on a Pantera? 

Last edited by davidnunn

The "infamous Australian intake" you're referring to is, I presume, the system from Morrison. I spoke w/them and have seen their intakes at various trade-shows over the years. And from what I recall, their intake used shorter runners.

So maybe this is the "Borla/Kaase" intake. Lance Nist would know for sure. Reachable via www.panteraefi.com

I recall seeing at least one Pantera with the Morrison intake. Looks like a great way to potentially fit everything under the standard engine cover.

davek posted:

The "infamous Australian intake" you're referring to is, I presume, the system from Morrison. I spoke w/them and have seen their intakes at various trade-shows over the years. And from what I recall, their intake used shorter runners.

So maybe this is the "Borla/Kaase" intake. Lance Nist would know for sure. Reachable via www.panteraefi.com

I recall seeing at least one Pantera with the Morrison intake. Looks like a great way to potentially fit everything under the standard engine cover.

I tried to buy a Morrison intake years ago but discovered they are made-to-order. The lead time is at least 1 year. Maybe things are different now. 

I think the Borla/Kaase manifold could be made to work but it would likely require modifications or specific cylinder heads. 

Keep in mind, a “stack” intake can be made to fit below the deck lid by the careful selection of components. 

David, 

At least a year!?! That would certainly help explain why I haven't seen more of these on other Panteras!

Certainly you could fit upright "stacks" under the standard engine cover, and I've seen some great examples on this forum where that's been done. May be easiest for a race' application where the shorter runner length is tuned towards higher rpms ... and where the engine can be lowered.

I just did a search on this forum under "IR EFI" and found a bunch of examples of low profile set-ups, including a thread on the Morrison intake. Forgot what a great repository of info this forum provides!! (Thanks George!)

Dave

As an update...I spoke to Borla yesterday and their intake with the built in vacuum plenum is not ready for primetime yet. They were very vague when asked when it might be ready and about any details as to where they were being made. I also spoke to Jim Inglese and he relies on Borla for a lot of his parts (the manifold pictured on his website appears to be the same one that is on Borla's website. It's seams both companies are being very misleading about advertising a working system that isn't really available...very frustrating.

davek posted:

If interested in more details on fitment issues, some great info from Kelly Coffield's work on EFI as shared by Dan Jones here:  https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/351c-crossram-efi

I have one of Kelly's intakes and it's well designed but it's made for a 9.5" tall block and C302B or Brodix heads. He also had a version for 9.2" blocks with the same heads. Kelly's throttle bodies are "low profile" so the system, with air cleaners, will all fit below the rear deck lid. I made some modifications to mine, to lift the TB's about 3" and aim the injectors at the intake valve. This gives me an effectively longer runner but still (barely) fits below the deck lid. I'm using a Holley Dominator ECU and Jenvey drive-by-wire.  

IR Intake

Not only did Morrison tell me it would take a year or more (possibly much more) to manufacture an intake for me, they wanted 50% up front...non-refundable! I suggested putting funds in trust or a "ship-by or provide a refund" deadline but they would have none of it!  

It seems to me, for a 351C, the only readily available IR intake manifold is Hall's. Hilborn and Kinsler have intake systems with the manifold and throttle bodies integrated. They are both great companies and their stuff is awesome but their markets are more race than street. That being said, I seem to see lots of their stuff on street cars; mostly high end hot rods. If you don't mind going overseas, there are the Redline and Aussie Speed manifolds but I'm not sure of availability. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IR Intake
Last edited by George P
davidnunn posted:
davek posted:

If interested in more details on fitment issues, some great info from Kelly Coffield's work on EFI as shared by Dan Jones here:  https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/351c-crossram-efi

I have one of Kelly's intakes and it's well designed but it's made for a 9.5" tall block and C302B or Brodix heads. He also had a version for 9.2" blocks with the same heads. Kelly's throttle bodies are "low profile" so the system, with air cleaners, will all fit below the rear deck lid. I made some modifications to mine, to lift the TB's about 3" and aim the injectors at the intake valve. This gives me an effectively longer runner but still (barely) fits below the deck lid. I'm using a Holley Dominator ECU and Jenvey drive-by-wire.  

IR Intake

Not only did Morrison tell me it would take a year or more (possibly much more) to manufacture an intake for me, they wanted 50% up front...non-refundable! I suggested putting funds in trust or a "ship-by or provide a refund" deadline but they would have none of it!  

It seems to me, for a 351C, the only readily available IR intake manifold is Hall's. Hilborn and Kinsler have intake systems with the manifold and throttle bodies integrated. They are both great companies and their stuff is awesome but their markets are more race than street. That being said, I seem to see lots of their stuff on street cars; mostly high end hot rods. If you don't mind going overseas, there are the Redline and Aussie Speed manifolds but I'm not sure of availability. 

David, your system is just beautiful. If I understand this is a "one off" manifold? I came across another manifold from a company in Australia called EFI Hardware. It also has a built in plenum. What are everyone's thoughts on this one?

https://www.efihardware.com/pr...leveland-4vIDA-2vIDF

manifold-Ford-Cleveland-4xIDA

Attachments

Images (1)
  • manifold-Ford-Cleveland-4xIDA

My intake manifold was manufactured by Kelly Coffield. He and I were in the same boat: 9.5" tall block and C302B (Brodix BF300 in Kelly's case) heads but no IR manifold for our combination. Lucky for me, Kelly decided to cast his own manifold. He did one run but last time I spoke with him, he wasn't planning to do any more. 

That EFI Hardware manifold looks great but do they really have them on the shelf? Also, don't make a cast-in MAP plenum your primary criteria. There's room in a 351C to hide a plenum below an IR manifold such as Hall's.    

The "EFI Hardware" manifold looks like an identical casting to the manifold in the Borla picture.

You don't need the vacuum box.

There are 8 port "distribution blocks" on the market that are perfect for the PCV plumbing … or MAP sensor . Tack it to the bottom of the manifold, plumb it to all 8 runners from underneath, and one connection for the PCV valve or sensor. The whole assembly is out of view. This one is Edelbrock #76578.

edelbrock

Another neat trick for individual runner induction is a separate electric powered vacuum supply for the brake booster. It eliminates the power brake vacuum plumbing as an eyesore or a plumbing issue.  Providing vacuum to the booster this way is common these days for electric cars, turbo & super charger applications, customs, and drag racing. 

A few OEMs have small, quiet, electric vacuum pumps. Add a small tank for volume & a vacuum switch to turn the pump on & off. I think there are some all-in-one units too; as I remember Audi has one that is popular.

Mount this vacuum "assembly" below the car, immediately under the brake booster. All that is needed is a 12 volt wire for power, and a short vacuum hose to the booster.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • edelbrock
Last edited by George P

George, with the advent of electric cars, vacuum pumps that are designed to supply power brake boosters are common. As they are designed for a power brake booster application, they are usually a self contained unit with the appropriate pressure switches. I use one of these OEM vacuum pumps and stealthily hid it behind the driver's side headlamp.  Hella makes a good one, which I believe is the same as the Audi pump. Summit has them in stock! 

Last edited by davidnunn

David, your system is just beautiful. If I understand this is a "one off" manifold? I came across another manifold from a company in Australia called EFI Hardware. It also has a built in plenum. What are everyone's thoughts on this one?

Randy,

Thanks for the comment. Indeed, the carbon x-ram is a "one off". Built for the Panoz racecar from the late 90's. They did lots of experimentation on the injector placement as this can have a significant effect on performance. The intake is, as you'd expect, amazingly light!

(And the engines are from the ex-Le Mans ADA Pantera. So a big pile of interesting history there!)

As George points out, there are simple and clean solutions to provide a common vacuum signal. Personal preference, but I think these would have a better aesthetic vs the chamber cast directly into the intake. Also lighter - if that matters. Here's the vacuum set-up I use on a Ford 341:

341 Kinsler EFI

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 341 Kinsler EFI

IMG_7976Here's my vacuum "chamber". It's the little black box with 4 hoses going into it. Not very noticeable! Since I have four two-barrel throttle bodies (made by IPSCO), I only have four vacuum hoses. The thing with the connector on the left side of the black box is the MAP sensor. The silver thing to the right is the drive-by-wire unit. 

What would make me nervous about a cast-in plenum is, who decided what volume it should have? There's a bit of science there. The volume can have an effect on how the MAP sensor reads. If you're just running a MAP sensor, the plenum doesn't have to be very large. If you're tapping into the plenum for an IAC and/or for a power brake booster, you need a larger plenum.    

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_7976
Last edited by davidnunn

Thanks everyone for the info...I'm trying to learn as much as I can before deciding on components. Dave, are those spacers with integral injector bungs under your throttle bodies? My car is apart (and was apart when I got it) so I don't know what the dimension is between the block china wall and decklid. It seems as though Hilborn is the only available "system" but it also appears to be one of the tallest? I'm also not sure I like the concept of the throttle bodies cast into the manifold. I am willing to cut the decklid if necessary but would be happier if I could avoid it. Is the Hall manifold still being produced or are they selling old stock and is it actually available?

Yes, those are spacers that the injectors plug into. These are not off-the-shelf items; they are custom made per application. In my case, they go between the manifold and the throttle bodies. I don't see why you can't have a similar system put together using a Hall Pantera manifold vs my Kelly Coffield manifold. Keep in mind, mine is a 9.5" tall block vs. your 9.2" 351C.

This is not the way my intake was intended to be used. Normally, the throttle bodies attach directly to the manifold, then a tall K&N filter mounts on top of the throttle bodies with velocity stacks inside the filter. My EFI guru (Dave at Autotrend EFI in Northern California) suggested the configuration change and had all the custom machining done. I kept telling him it would never fit below the deck lid and he kept telling me not to worry; it'll fit! It sure helps to have a full machine shop next door! 

As an aside, Autotred EFI had an orange '74 at the shop, just before my arrival, with a Hilborn system. The system had been installed by another shop (or the owner, can't remember). They fixed the installation problems and tuned it. 

I believe Hall Pantera has new manifolds in stock. They are listed on the web-site for $900. 

Yes, depending on how tall the throttle bodies are. The way it's been done many times in the past, which will surely fit, would be to install injector bungs in the manifold, then use a "bungless", low-profile TB. That will fit for sure. That's the way my system was configured initially. Here's a photo. I think the air cleaners were about 2" tall. The velocity stacks are below the air cleaners. 

Coffield air filters

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Coffield air filters
Last edited by davidnunn

Thanks David, do you happen to know the dimension from the block china wall to bottom of decklid? Is the height of your throttle bodies + spacer shorter than a throttle body with integral bungs? If I used throttle bodies with the injector bung on the inside it seems like there would be a straighter shot at the intake valve. Do you happen to still have those air cleaners?

Randy, I don't know that dimension and my engine's not in the car right now, so I can't measure. I'd swear I've seen that dimension mentioned here, at some time in the past. You should be able to find a short throttle body that will work as you mention but I'm not aware of one. I seem to recall, the place in Australia that you mentioned a couple of days ago, had some. 

Yes, I still have the air cleaners in the photo. They are new and have never been used (other than to take the photo). 

davidnunn posted:

Randy, I don't know that dimension and my engine's not in the car right now, so I can't measure. I'd swear I've seen that dimension mentioned here, at some time in the past. You should be able to find a short throttle body that will work as you mention but I'm not aware of one. I seem to recall, the place in Australia that you mentioned a couple of days ago, had some. 

Yes, I still have the air cleaners in the photo. They are new and have never been used (other than to take the photo). 

Private message sent

I do not use an IAC. Drive-by-wire controls my idle speed. Even if I did have an IAC, I’d still use a MAP sensor only my plenum would likely be larger, so the two sensors wouldn’t interfere with each other. Some people feel that Alpha-N (no MAP sensor) is a better strategy to use with IR intakes. Others feel a blend of speed density and alpha-n is the way to go. The Holley Dominator will let you use Speed Density, Alpha-N, VE or an unlimited blend of SD and A-N. The Dominator also uses dual O2 sensors; one per side. If you want to save a few bucks I’d look at the specs for the Terminator and Terminator Max very carefully. Make sure there’s nothing you may want to incorporate in the future (eg. drive-by-wire) that one will do and the other won’t. 

Thanks. The cam is a solid roller with 280/288 duration, .636 lift and 110 LC. The rockers are 1.70 ratio T&D shaft rockers and the lifters are the new Isky EZ-Roll. The compression ratio is 11.25:1. I’m also using a poly-composite distributor gear from TriTec Motorsports. It’s supposed to be stronger than steel but more forgiving than brass/bronze. All the NASCAR teams run them and Comp Cams swears by them. It’s still plastic to me so I’ll be keeping a close eye on it! 

I've been waiting for someone to ask or mention this system that's been up on Ebay for a year or so.

It has some interesting features such as individual throttle adjustment, various head adaptability and 51mm throttle bodies.

I know of no one who has used them and the lack of mentioning the set up here kind of confirms that.

Personally I tried to get tech information on them from the seller and their response is basically, "here it is, this is it".

I presume no one here has tried it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/fits-...a:g:4vwAAOSwmPFchvCB

351c fuel injection

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 351c fuel injection
Last edited by George P

There’s a guy on the POCA e-mail forum who bought the system. I think he lives on Maui. Haven’t heard anything since he bought it but there was a lot of pre-purchase discussion. I also know a “pro” who was hired to tune one of these systems that was installed by an owner. If I recall, he had trouble with the “made in China” throttle bodies. I’m sure there’s lots of info if you Google it. Probably not much on 351C systems specifically but the Speedmaster systems in general. Other than the throttle bodies, my concern would be the ECU. I don’t believe any self tuning ECU can be expected to work on an IR intake. It may make the engine run but that’s about it. 72panterasteve has an IR intake and one of these Fast ECU’s. He eventually wound up taking the car to Blaine Carmena to have the system tuned. 

Last edited by davidnunn

I would have cautions about it also. It's one of those items I suspect that you can't know the issues until you have one but I don't think that is going to be unique to anything available?

I remember considering what is now the Borla IDA lookalikes. I got a PM from someone in the UK who said he was a distributor of them and to avoid them.

What he said was pretty much the same thing. You couldn't idle the engine down because the idle screws would stop responding. He thought that was because of the lack of tolerances in the throttle bodies themselves.

I don't know how accurate that is since I stayed away.

I do know that the IDA's in a sense are like that. They stop responding at a certain level. It really is not a lack of close enough tolerances in that case, it's just the limit of the design of the carb and the effect the IR manifold has on them.

Remember those were adapted to American v8's on IR manifolds. Not completely designed from inception for them?

I've never used any of the aftermarket CPU's so I'd have to rely on good advise from previous experiences of similar applications. School of hard knocks teaches you quickly and hopefully you don't repeat the same mistakes again and again?

I'm not necessarily defending or condemning anything made in China. No matter where it is made, you get what you pay for and certainly the Chinese are quite capable of building high quality and high precision pieces. They are also quite adapt at borrowing others technology. I suppose if you borrow something and never pay for it, that is one definition of stealing?

As I mentioned, the Borla's supposedly were having tolerance issues and they were being machined here in the US.

I'd like to actually see the Speedmaster manifolds in person. Looking at those slots they are using for mounting to the heads raises some questions to me?

Nice engine David. How many cubes is it?

Last edited by George P

Doug,

427 cubic inch. I bought the block from Joe Fontana. It was from his last production run before he sold the business to Shelby. They (Shelby) modified the Clevor tooling to remove all the 351C parts and replace them with 351W parts. Now it's just an "Or"! 

I think Borla's cleaned-up their act and now their TB's are OK. Unfortunately, you're still on your own with them because their tech support is terrible. Also, if you need parts or an ECU they can't supply, you'll be referred to the dealer that buys the most stuff from them, not the one best suited to help you out.

Jenvey Dynamics in the UK makes great stuff but their IDA style TB's only go up to 50mm, which may not be large enough for a "built" Cleveland.  

I think that carburetion and fuel injection on an IR manifold are going to be very similar.

I do know a few things on throttle size from working with IDA's.

It was Shelby's Cobra team that spec'd the 48mm throttles. They raced them with 42mm auxiliary venturis, aka, chokes on the 289's. They were talking that they thought that set up became restrictive at about 6,700rpm.

The race 289 heads were called "GT40 heads". In race ported form, they flowed about 230cfm at about .600" lift.

Knowing those numbers, in late 1964 when the "light weight 427" was being released to Shelby and other factory sponsored race teams, 58mm IDA's were ordered. It's thought that less then 10 complete sets were made.

As I understand it, the testing was disappointing. None were put into production.

Testing on the 351c's for IDA's was originated for the Group 4 Panteras. The manifold was "designed" and manufactured in test form by Hollman-Moody. Ford was the customer. It was said that the molds were given to Detomaso.

The size that they determined to be optimal for that engine was 51mm. If you measure the diameter runners on that manifold, I believe that you will find they are all 51mm.

I can't tell you where restriction would be with 48's on a 351 because I'm busy holding on and the only safe way to determine that is on a dyno.

I would think that for "optimal" performance, i.e., WOT horsepower, your 427 likely would test highest with that number, 58mm? What the power curve would look like I suspect would be pretty disappointing. You would have to talk to someone like Blaine about the combination and what he could do with "tuning". That I wouldn't know. I'm a carb kind'a guy...although I did marry an "uptown girl".

Your engine is making nice numbers. If it was mine, I'd leave it alone. It certainly is pretty. I'd just worry about breaking the ZF.

Last edited by panteradoug

Hey, I hear you. I'm not going to change anything. I have a special lifting bracket that lets me lift the engine back into the car without removing the TB's or the linkage, so I'm not going to! 

Re: ZF - that's one of my biggest concerns. I have an M1 ZF, which Lloyd Butfoy says is a bit stronger than a regular -2 ZF, but like -2 ZF's, it doesn't like to be shocked. No side stepping the clutch! I also have a smaller clutch assy. than most Panteras. I have a 157 tooth aluminum flywheel and 10.5" McLeod diaphragm pressure plate with an aluminum friction ring. It revs like crazy but gets off the line fine. I use a good old fashioned organic disc with full marcel and a sprung hub. Engagement is beautiful but I know I'll "cook" it if I get too crazy!     

Last edited by George P

Pantera engine

I picked up a Hall manifold now it's time to start shopping for throttle bodies. Is there any advantage/disadvantage other than overall height to having the injector bosses in the throttle body vs the manifold?  EFI Hardware has some nice looking  billet throttle bodies that have a tapered bore. These also have injector bosses on both sides and have a built in vacuum port. https://www.efihardware.com/pr...d-bore-throttle-body I'm also wondering if there is a better vacuum signal in the throttle body or the manifold. The manifold I bought has holes in only two of the runners so I would need to drill the others if necessary along with having the bosses welded in before I have the manifold powder coated.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pantera engine
Last edited by George P

Randy, congratulations on the manifold purchase. I think the EFI Hardware TB’s look great but I don’t know anyone that’s used them. I hate to see you be the guinea pig! If you decide to use them, you want the smaller ID units. Have you spoken to Borla about their new billet TB’s? If I were you, I’d probably plug the holes in the manifold and use the vacuum ports in the TB’s. I’d start off by trying to use the injector pockets in the TB’s too. Only move them to the manifold if you have a good reason to move them. Injector placement is a bit of a black art. There are many variables. Talk to experts and Google “fuel injector placement”. Also, get your system totally mocked-up, including linkage, before you powder coat anything! 

davidnunn posted:

Randy, congratulations on the manifold purchase. I think the EFI Hardware TB’s look great but I don’t know anyone that’s used them. I hate to see you be the guinea pig! If you decide to use them, you want the smaller ID units. Have you spoken to Borla about their new billet TB’s? If I were you, I’d probably plug the holes in the manifold and use the vacuum ports in the TB’s. I’d start off by trying to use the injector pockets in the TB’s too. Only move them to the manifold if you have a good reason to move them. Injector placement is a bit of a black art. There are many variables. Talk to experts and Google “fuel injector placement”. Also, get your system totally mocked-up, including linkage, before you powder coat anything! 

Thanks David... good advice. I will contact Borla about their throttle bodies. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices out there...Borla, Jenvey, or EFI Hardware. Am I missing anyone other than maybe some Chinese knockoffs?

davidnunn posted:

Hey, I hear you. I'm not going to change anything. I have a special lifting bracket that lets me lift the engine back into the car without removing the TB's or the linkage, so I'm not going to! 

Re: ZF - that's one of my biggest concerns. I have an M1 ZF, which Lloyd Butfoy says is a bit stronger than a regular -2 ZF, but like -2 ZF's, it doesn't like to be shocked. No side stepping the clutch! I also have a smaller clutch assy. than most Panteras. I have a 157 tooth aluminum flywheel and 10.5" McLeod diaphragm pressure plate with an aluminum friction ring. It revs like crazy but gets off the line fine. I use a good old fashioned organic disc with full marcel and a sprung hub. Engagement is beautiful but I know I'll "cook" it if I get too crazy!     

Too crazy? "Mrs. Teacher, it's not my fault. The guy in the Corvette laughed at me and made me do it!" Restraint. Sure. Where have I heard that before?

Randy, Borla’s new billet TB’s look great but they also look tall. Here’s a little know source for TB’s,  that we all know: IPSCO. Don’t know if he still makes them but it’s worth a phone call or e-mail. That’s what I have and had zero tuning issues. Isn’t that half the battle: just finding TB’s that you’ve actually seen running on an engine? 

Thanks David, I will contact IPSCO. I haven't seen any billet throttle bodies from Borla, they all look cast to me. Did IPSCO ever make any TB's with the injector boss in the body? The more I think about it I'm probably not going to be too concerned with keeping everything under the decklid. From what I have seen it's a pretty small cutout that is needed and if I save the piece it could always be returned to stock if needed. I'm also wondering about linkages...what did you use to join the IPSCO throttle shafts, and what did you use for lever arms, throttle stops etc...? 

Randy, IPSCO only made the low profile TB’s because Dennis Quella wanted to offer an under-deck system. I don’t think they ever made tall TB’s with injector pockets. I’d ask Borla about their billet TB’s. I think they were called “Pro” TB’s.? Not sure why I keep forgetting to point you towards Jenvey in the UK. Their TB’s are a proven product. 10/10. They have distribution in the USA too. If I’m not mistaken, most of my linkage and little hardware bits came from Kinsler but anything related to the drive-by-wire is custom by Autotrend EFI in Diamond Springs, CA. Kinsler told me that’s where they turn when they have a problem. Hint: Autotrend EFI is also a Holley EFI dealer. Their prices are the same as Summit but you have help when you need it, and you will. 

Last edited by davidnunn
panteradoug posted:

I've been waiting for someone to ask or mention this system that's been up on Ebay for a year or so.

It has some interesting features such as individual throttle adjustment, various head adaptability and 51mm throttle bodies.

I know of no one who has used them and the lack of mentioning the set up here kind of confirms that.

Personally I tried to get tech information on them from the seller and their response is basically, "here it is, this is it".

I presume no one here has tried it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/fits-...a:g:4vwAAOSwmPFchvCB

351c fuel injection

I looked at this system a few years ago and received the same response from the seller.  I asked for names of other customers or testimonials of people that have used them on a 351C's and they could not provide any. 

I did find some people using the 289 & 302 versions that were very pleased with it. There are some videos on Youtube of a guy running one in a kit car cobra if I remember correctly. 

I wouldn't automatically dismiss it as junk. It is obvious to me that there is knowledgeable engineering present. The issue is that it's highly likely you are going to need some technical assistance setting it up.

Unless there is an encyclopedia that is supplied with it, that system you just are going to have to figure out for yourself? That's really a shame. It looks very promising. Most of the right boxes seem to have been checked in designing it.

Last edited by panteradoug

EA642C34-B92E-425E-B984-8788E10161DFSpotted on Instagram, May 28, 2019. Looks like a Holley ECU, Borla “Weber style” TB’s and a Borla IR intake manifold with cast-in MAP/IAC plenum. In fact, this is the prototype of Borla’s 351C IR intake manifold. The owner of the car says the EFI system was finished on May 24 and believes the manifold will be available very soon, if it isn’t already. 

C0F4E00B-A85E-455D-A24F-3928280B3061

Attachments

Images (2)
  • EA642C34-B92E-425E-B984-8788E10161DF: Borla
  • C0F4E00B-A85E-455D-A24F-3928280B3061: Borla2
Last edited by davidnunn

A few thoughts- D Quella used to sell both a tall and a short  8-stack EFI for the 351-C using separate left/rt intakes & a valley cover.  That led to complications in at least one engine with alloy heads: engine fully warmed up, the intakes expanded away from each other and 'pulled' on the throttle connector link, which changed the idle speed. Tricky to find, too as it was temp dependent. I expect the problem to be worse with all-alloy engines. Call Dennis- he doesn't do email & Becky retired.

Coupling vacuum lines from all 8 stacks into a plenum sometimes equals zero vac. I had better luck using a single plain rubber vac hose about 12" long, rather than all-steel, braided steel or other shiny overkill joined together. The rubber seemed to introduce a 'delay' that allowed vacuum sourced from one TBI time to actually move a vacuum advance. Worked for years.

Finally, whatever 8-stack assembly you buy including Webers, do yourself a favor and purchase a fiberglas rear decklid to trim for rear stack clearance & put your stock lid on a shelf for the next owner who will have different ideas. A  perfect steel decklid is almost irreplaceable now, and a few years ago, you couldn't give away a cut lid for scrap. The glas lids are 50% lighter and cheaper, too.

davidnunn posted:

EA642C34-B92E-425E-B984-8788E10161DFSpotted on Instagram, May 28, 2019. Looks like a Holley Terminator ECU, Borla “Weber style” TB’s and a Borla IR intake manifold with cast-in MAP/IAC plenum. In fact, this is the prototype of Borla’s 351C IR intake manifold. The owner of the car says the EFI system was finished on May 24 and believes the manifold will be available very soon, if it isn’t already. 

C0F4E00B-A85E-455D-A24F-3928280B3061

Well that's interesting, I'm still thinking about what you said about the plenum size and what or who determines how big it should be. I am not planning on running power brakes on my car as I believe a properly sized manual system should work well. Hopefully I will be able to piece together something that works well using the Hall manifold. If not it's great to see more choices available to Pantera owners. Those Weber style throttle bodies seem much taller than some of the others I have been looking at and most likely would require cutting of the decklid.

bosswrench posted:

A few thoughts- D Quella used to sell both a tall and a short  8-stack EFI for the 351-C using separate left/rt intakes & a valley cover.  That led to complications in at least one engine with alloy heads: engine fully warmed up, the intakes expanded away from each other and 'pulled' on the throttle connector link, which changed the idle speed. Tricky to find, too as it was temp dependent. I expect the problem to be worse with all-alloy engines. Call Dennis- he doesn't do email & Becky retired.

Coupling vacuum lines from all 8 stacks into a plenum sometimes equals zero vac. I had better luck using a single plain rubber vac hose about 12" long, rather than all-steel, braided steel or other shiny overkill joined together. The rubber seemed to introduce a 'delay' that allowed vacuum sourced from one TBI time to actually move a vacuum advance. Worked for years.

Finally, whatever 8-stack assembly you buy including Webers, do yourself a favor and purchase a fiberglas rear decklid to trim for rear stack clearance & put your stock lid on a shelf for the next owner who will have different ideas. A  perfect steel decklid is almost irreplaceable now, and a few years ago, you couldn't give away a cut lid for scrap. The glas lids are 50% lighter and cheaper, too.

Good advice Bosswrench, as mentioned I plan on running manual brakes and timing will be handled by ecu. The only need for a vacuum signal will be for the MAP sensor. As for the decklid I think any good sheet metal fabricator can make a cut decklid look good as new fairly easily.

Randy, here’s a pic of some standard Borla throttle bodies. You’ll notice they are significantly shorter than the Weber style TB’s. Car is a ‘56 Lincoln. 

1E351C20-40D4-4DDF-9091-CA52EF39FC6B

Re: non-boosted brakes - I tried simply eliminating the booster but my pedal was just too heavy. I believe the problem was, the Pantera’s brake pedal is too short to give adequate leverage. SACC has a Wilwood pedal kit which gives the correct leverage for non-boosted brakes. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1E351C20-40D4-4DDF-9091-CA52EF39FC6B: Borla3
Last edited by davidnunn
davidnunn posted:

Randy, here’s a pic of some standard Borla throttle bodies. You’ll notice they are significantly shorter than the Weber style TB’s. Car is a ‘56 Lincoln. 

1E351C20-40D4-4DDF-9091-CA52EF39FC6B

Re: non-boosted brakes - I tried simply eliminating the booster but my pedal was just too heavy. I believe the problem was, the Pantera’s brake pedal is too short to give adequate leverage. SACC has a Wilwood pedal kit which gives the correct leverage for non-boosted brakes. 

Thanks David, those do look much shorter. I'm still trying to find the measurement from the block china rails to the bottom of the decklid. As for the brakes, I have already adapted Wilwood pedals to my car using a universal mount I picked up from Speedway Motors. I had to do a little surgery but I think it will work.

pedals8pedals5pedals4pedals2

pedals

Attachments

Images (5)
  • pedals8
  • pedals5
  • pedals4
  • pedals2
  • pedals

Wanted to update this thread,  after a lot of research I decided to go with the Borla throttle bodies. My initial impression is they seem to be high quality pieces...time will tell.

Pantera engine

Next up was to tackle the linkage and come up with a way to handle the vacuum signal for the map sensor. I purchased Borla's linkage and fabricated this vacuum block so I could bolt the linkage to it.

20191204_13503820191204_135550

I also drilled and tapped each runner in the manifold in order to collect vacuum to my plenum.

20191205_153340

Next up I had to take the Hall manifold to a machine shop and mill the existing pedestal off as it is not in the center of the manifold. I can only assume the Weber carbs needed an offset linkage. After milling the manifold I made a 1/2 inch aluminum plate to seal the hole in the manifold and provide a place to mount my vacuum block/linkage. 

IMG_20200512_142559

The linkage is now mounted and centered properly. It is solid and seems to operate perfectly.

IMG_20200512_145124

Next I have to fabricate my own fuel rails...nothing is ever easy on these cars.

Attachments

Images (6)
  • Pantera engine
  • 20191204_135038
  • 20191204_135550
  • IMG_20200512_142559
  • IMG_20200512_145124
  • 20191205_153340

Wow did this thread bring back some memories. I re-read it over my morning coffee. I made a dozen or so systems and quickly learned every engine/system was a snowflake with its own unique requirements and nuances. The other thing I learned was 9/10 customers were not tuners and were buying the appearance of the system and had a zero probability of success without the assistance of a pro tuner, who will all have their own opinions, none of which will matter if they have never built and tuned IR EFI and Carbed systems. Those 9 customers expected me to virtually tune their unique combo from my keyboard and there’s just no way anyone could do that so I became very selective about who I would offer hardware and eventually lost interest.

Picking out some of the thread’s topics I think most relevant:

Hardware: Fit of throttle plates matters but most manufacturers have that covered. Can’t speak for the import stuff. The important thing is good linkage. It needs to open the throttle plates symmetrically and I preferred counter rotating banks for that reason. You also are well served with progressive linkage that opens the throttle plates more gradually for the first inch of pedal travel or it will run like WOT or nothing. Beyond that it just needs to be easily adjusted and stay put when tightened.

For control schemes, its already been said…..Alpha-N, Speed Density, or combos thereof. Mass Flow is a possibility but you need a complicated and very well sealed airbox and most of the people that are buying aesthetics wouldn’t consider it because it will obstruct the view of all the pretty IR hardware. For speed density, the one thing I always ask people is what do you think your trying to accomplish with the MAP signal? The short answer is a signal that’s a good proxy for engine load. In an IR system, it won’t mean a thing except down low because the instant you crack the throttle the vacuum signal goes to zip! Then the size of the vacuum plumbing and plenum is just lag. It’s true through trial and error you can find a combo of plumbing and plenum size that’s gives a more stable and representative signal. I suggest plumbing to a common vacuum junction block and then run a line to a remote plenum and vary the size of the remote. Now there is another aspect to communication ports. The overlap in cam profile will create a reversion pulse and it will stand a fuel plume that will confound tuning. This is worse in short runner systems. Even more so in non-EFI carbed systems because the boosters will add fuel no matter the direction of flow and can even soak filters and create a fire hazard on backfire.

Injector position: Yah in theory (and I love theory!) and very high states of tune it makes a difference but for a street car I’d tell you it doesn’t make a hill of beans difference. The fuel rails in the middle does look a little cleaner but makes accessing the linkage a lot more difficult. There are literally millions of street cars with the “unfavorable” injector position and they run just fine. Quella’s race car had the injectors on the outside of the runner and put down 750HP and was a beast. Same with Kirby Schrader’s GT40 albiet at more modest power level (Sorry Kirb)…..and for anybody that tells you that Weber IDAs are too small for 400CI and 600HP+ just go take a lap with Kirby’s Pantera track car or any engine Mike Trusty set up.

One thing about EFI is everything can be tuned, it just takes a lot of sensors and patience. The reality of that is everything that can be tuned must be tuned and that is one hell of a lot of work.

A couple other random thoughts:

I had my one of those Morrison intakes a long time ago. It was a work of art but I have never seen so many socket head cap screws in one place in my whole life and if they would have built very many I would have bought stock in Loctite. I actually still have a set of just the throttle plate assemblies.

DaveK, I have the aluminum version of the CF Panoz intake you posted. It is a TIG and metal forming masterpiece for C3H heads on an 8.2 block with staged/dual injectors. I’ll never use it and need to sell it someday but every time I take it out of the box I can’t bring myself to do it. I had two and sold the other. I was told they had problems with the CF versions failing and made the aluminum versions for replacements. I never confirmed that and the aluminum versions may have just been the development mules for the CF versions.

Happy tuning fellas. Kelly out!

@panterror posted:

Wow did this thread bring back some memories. I re-read it over my morning coffee. I made a dozen or so systems and quickly learned every engine/system was a snowflake with its own unique requirements and nuances. The other thing I learned was 9/10 customers were not tuners and were buying the appearance of the system and had a zero probability of success without the assistance of a pro tuner, who will all have their own opinions, none of which will matter if they have never built and tuned IR EFI and Carbed systems. Those 9 customers expected me to virtually tune their unique combo from my keyboard and there’s just no way anyone could do that so I became very selective about who I would offer hardware and eventually lost interest.

Picking out some of the thread’s topics I think most relevant:

Hardware: Fit of throttle plates matters but most manufacturers have that covered. Can’t speak for the import stuff. The important thing is good linkage. It needs to open the throttle plates symmetrically and I preferred counter rotating banks for that reason. You also are well served with progressive linkage that opens the throttle plates more gradually for the first inch of pedal travel or it will run like WOT or nothing. Beyond that it just needs to be easily adjusted and stay put when tightened.

For control schemes, its already been said…..Alpha-N, Speed Density, or combos thereof. Mass Flow is a possibility but you need a complicated and very well sealed airbox and most of the people that are buying aesthetics wouldn’t consider it because it will obstruct the view of all the pretty IR hardware. For speed density, the one thing I always ask people is what do you think your trying to accomplish with the MAP signal? The short answer is a signal that’s a good proxy for engine load. In an IR system, it won’t mean a thing except down low because the instant you crack the throttle the vacuum signal goes to zip! Then the size of the vacuum plumbing and plenum is just lag. It’s true through trial and error you can find a combo of plumbing and plenum size that’s gives a more stable and representative signal. I suggest plumbing to a common vacuum junction block and then run a line to a remote plenum and vary the size of the remote. Now there is another aspect to communication ports. The overlap in cam profile will create a reversion pulse and it will stand a fuel plume that will confound tuning. This is worse in short runner systems. Even more so in non-EFI carbed systems because the boosters will add fuel no matter the direction of flow and can even soak filters and create a fire hazard on backfire.

Injector position: Yah in theory (and I love theory!) and very high states of tune it makes a difference but for a street car I’d tell you it doesn’t make a hill of beans difference. The fuel rails in the middle does look a little cleaner but makes accessing the linkage a lot more difficult. There are literally millions of street cars with the “unfavorable” injector position and they run just fine. Quella’s race car had the injectors on the outside of the runner and put down 750HP and was a beast. Same with Kirby Schrader’s GT40 albiet at more modest power level (Sorry Kirb)…..and for anybody that tells you that Weber IDAs are too small for 400CI and 600HP+ just go take a lap with Kirby’s Pantera track car or any engine Mike Trusty set up.

One thing about EFI is everything can be tuned, it just takes a lot of sensors and patience. The reality of that is everything that can be tuned must be tuned and that is one hell of a lot of work.

A couple other random thoughts:

I had my one of those Morrison intakes a long time ago. It was a work of art but I have never seen so many socket head cap screws in one place in my whole life and if they would have built very many I would have bought stock in Loctite. I actually still have a set of just the throttle plate assemblies.

DaveK, I have the aluminum version of the CF Panoz intake you posted. It is a TIG and metal forming masterpiece for C3H heads on an 8.2 block with staged/dual injectors. I’ll never use it and need to sell it someday but every time I take it out of the box I can’t bring myself to do it. I had two and sold the other. I was told they had problems with the CF versions failing and made the aluminum versions for replacements. I never confirmed that and the aluminum versions may have just been the development mules for the CF versions.

Happy tuning fellas. Kelly out!

Hi Kelly, thanks for chiming in I value your input. I would be lying if I told you I'm not worried about tuning this thing when done. My hope is the software has come a long way in the last several years. I was pretty set on the new Holley HP ecu but recently was advised by someone that has tuned a lot of I.R. systems that a Motec is superior. I need to make that decision in the near future. My linkage is spot on, opens each bank symmetrically, and is solid mounted although it is not progressive...I could probably change the bellcrank if I had to. I do plan on hiring a pro to tune but I am also interested in learning to do so myself. I know it's not impossible as there seems to be a lot of Cobras and GT40s out there with I.R. systems. I welcome everyone's input.

Randy

Edit: I believe a bellcrank linkage is progressive by design and can be adjusted via the length of the turnbuckles. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by randy37

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.