Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On the website it looks to me like it should have a restoration or at least some tlc, however it was still a very low price. I believe missing the proper wheels would have hindered it pretty bad. Mecum had it pegged to be $100-$140k. Another 73 with a gt5 body kit on it bid only to $40k but very few pictures. There is also a very very nice orange 73 with under 11k miles on it that will still be coming up.

Those wheels are terrible. That is a deal for sure... even if you have to drop $30K into it. I'd never buy one on Mecum though w/o more info....I hate these auctions b/c you cant really go through the car or have any Hx... by the looks of the bumpers, looks like someone got it going, put a $1K overspray on it and done...I mean if they were serious about selling it, then they would have at least changed the front bumper for a few hundred bucks. If it's cheap, there is a reason adage applies most of the time.

Last edited by USCDOC13

When buying these cars at auction unless it is coming from a very well known seller, one will error on the side of caution I would think.  With that said, I think good cars will always bring good money and cars done to grab money will suffer.  The people buying these cars know what they are looking at.  Not usually a newbie buying Pantera's, usually well educated people on the car and have owned some before.  I own a GT5S with 13,000 documented miles and am not in the least worried about that car only bringing 80K.  People owning these cars will see dips in the market just like you would in the stock market.  Don't get too freaked out, its not like a normal used car..............hand in there, enjoy the car and promote the Detomaso brand and things should stay good for sometime to come.

The car is s/n 9324 so a real GT5.  Listed in the ProvaMO registry and was sold in 2003 for ~$38k.  Appears with the Gotti wheels back then.  The picture on the Mecum site shows it sitting with a flat back tire.  Their ad says "with original Pirelli tires".  So my guess is this has been sitting in somebody's garage with 25 year old tires and was dumped by the owner.  Great buy for the new owner.  Put some Roin Gp IV rims and new tires on it and you are in business.   Next year it will be for sale again at either Mecum or BJ for $150K.

Those prices are with fees. The orange pantera was 95k before fees. I actually thought that car with those miles in that color would have went another 50k.

I still think Pantera's are such a bargain for what you get.

The price on 67-79 ford trucks and 67-87 chev trucks at times is mind boggling to me. If they are a Bronco or a Blazer with a coyote or an ls the price seems to equal or surpass a Pantera regularly.

@otis posted:

The price on 67-79 ford trucks and 67-87 chev trucks at times is mind boggling to me. If they are a Bronco or a Blazer with a coyote or an ls the price seems to equal or surpass a Pantera regularly.

"So what if it's as big as a Subaru and costs as much? This is gonna be with you for the rest of your life! And when you die, they can BURY you in it!"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.