Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No guys, I'm serious. For me it's time to move on car wise. I will always be a lover of Pantera and those that own them. I'm not really going anywhere, I'm just moving on to a different platform of a car. I still intend, with George's blessings, to be the Advertising & Events manager for PI. George and I have talked and this is what we both want. But.......

I look at what it costs to go fast, the limitations of the Pantera and what I have into my Pantera and the cost of going faster. I can do better for the money I spend. I'm not going to spend 13+ grand for a motor that produces 600+ HP that will only tear the Pantera apart, and never mind the gearbox B/S that goes along with it, or be held up any longer by Pantera vendors. I'm not into show cars or a couch kind of guy. I drive hard and fast, that's who I am. I take the I-17 interchange into the 101 interchange at 110 mph looking for more. Just isn't there with the Pantera. With the Pantera, I feel like I'm just wagging my tail.

I've decided to join the younger generation that really goes fast, has fun doing it, parts are plentiful, that you don't have to take a loan out to buy or kiss anyone's ass along the way. These are the guys that really drive their cars. I meet them everyday, race with them, eat with them and see what they're doing and it works. I'm going there too.

I'm going to build an NSX, 550 HP car which is truly a race car with formula 1 technology and will run circles around my, or any Pantera no matter who builds your motor for 13+ thousand dollars. I'll build a car, all said and done, for $65,000.00 that will do exactly that.

This is where I need to be. Maybe in another 20 years, I'll need to be nostalgic, sit on the couch and talk about yesterday having spent 100,000+ dollars on a Pantera that is nothing more than a show car, but not now, now is reality for me, for tomorrow I may be dead.

It's not personal guys, it's just time to move on and live in today’s world for me. I'm tired of throwing my money into a car of yesterday, to me it's a pit of no return for the desired performance, the costs are far too much for what is achieved.

The Pantera is for sale......
This is what I'm going to build.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 4319nsx01
Last edited by George P
Jim & I talked a long time this evening. I understand the many factors that have lead to his decision. I agree it is the right move for him to make, under the circumstances, at this juncture in his life. Jim is looking at the big picture, and has his family's needs at heart.

So yes, I support his decision 100%. That's what friends do.

I'm personally thankful that he will continue to help me with Pantera International. He and I have already discussed planning another track event, and what we have to do to run it successfully next time. He'll just be there with an NSX, instead of a Pantera.

cowboy from hell
Frowner Eeker

I hear ya, Jim. I have always liked the NSX styling.

I know you've owned a string of cars before the world's most beautiful mid engine sports car.

For me the Pantera is the fullfillment of the lifetime car dream, so I'm happy and in no need to move on. Can't afford to anyhow...

If I join the NSX forum, will I hear you talking about selling it in a few years? Wink

Friends always,

Larry
quote:
Originally posted by Coz:
After long and hard thought, I have decided to sell my Pantera. It's time for me to move on.

I want $50,000.00 for it.

If anyone is interested, contact me off the board.
...........JIM, i'm sure your decision was WELL THOUGHT OUT, despite all the little quirks the PANTERA may have,i'm sure it is still VERY HARD to part with an old friend ! Frowner........., you are a TRUE ENTHUSIAST, and have helped many people here on the board.........GOOD LUCK JIM on your NEW BUILD,....it doesnt matter if its a volkswagen bug or a 550hp nsx,.....as long as it makes YOU happy!!!!...............keep us posted....................your friend.....DAVE
quote:
it's just time to move on and live in today’s world for me. I'm tired of throwing my money into a car of yesterday, to me it's a pit of no return

Ouch! I resemble that. %^((

Seriously though, cars s/b fun. Follow your heart. No need to justify what you want to do. It will be fun hearing about your progress with that "foreign" car. Kick ass! %^))
Thanks one and all for the understanding and support. Believe me, I'm not going anywhere. This was not an easy decision to come to as this Pantera and the people around it have been a major part of my life for the last 7 years. In a way, it's like parting with a loved one car wise.

I've had this Pantera longer than any other sports car I've ever owned, since 2000. I know every inch of this car, god knows I've been through it many times from bumper to bumper. Just spent 9 grand over the summer on the ZF and Wilwood brakes. Been a member of PI for 8 years now and have made a lot of friends a long the way. Cars come and go, real friends are here to stay. Besides, I'd miss you guys if I ventured to far from home.

Letting the Pantera go is 2 fold. I need to free up some money for the time being and I want to start again with something different. I've thought hard about another Countach, but that's another money pit unless you have lots of money to throw away, thought about a GT-40, but that's way over my head money wise.

I'll buy a 91-92 NSX for 20 to 25,000.00, be able to drive it and start putting parts together as time goes on. I figure maybe 2 years to complete what I have in mind at a cost of about another 30 grand. No big deal since it's taken me 7 years to get the Pantera close to where I want it and have spend well over 65,000.00 on it, not to mention all the time and effort I have in it.

The after market for performance parts for the NSX have come a long way over the years. I have always loved the styling of the car but always felt they were way under powered which is why I've never owned one. Now with the Comp supercharges & the forced induction systems one can attain 550 HP if you wanted to for a cost of 12 to 15,000.00. And it's an Acura, probably some of the best engineering in the world. Not something I'll be able to do right away, but it will happen. The cost of the car for a 91-92 which is the best year to start with is priced right and a very drivable everyday car for now so I can drive it while making the changes as I go.

At anyrate, thanks guys for the support and most of all, the friendship.....it means a lot to me.
It's a sad thing to see you part with the car but only you know when its time. I with all your other brothers will support your decision. I only hope that you will continue to be a part of our community.

Its a beautiful car that will never come around again, so make sure that your decision is what you really want and not out of frustration.

Of course you know that you will be the butt of jokes and harassment with the "brand X" car!

Best wishes brother!
You bet I will, not going anywhere Dennis.
It's just something that has to be done right now....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4NFORD:
Of course you know that you will be the butt of jokes and harassment with the "brand X" car!

Ok, lets get it started now then....The only butt the Pantera's will be seeing when I finish the NSX will be the butt end of the NSX out of their windshield....LOL....
Coz,
I'm just sorry I've never been able to get out West to an event and meet you personally. I've always enjoyed your wit & technical help in your posts to the BB. Glad to hear that you'll keep monitoring all the "bad boys" here & help keep them in line! Great choice in the NSX, I've loved their style since they came out & with 500+ ponies I can only imagine the performance you'll get. Best of luck & have FUN!
Jim,

Sorry to see that you are selling your Pantera.If you think that a GT40 is over your head, you should check out Race Car Replicas.
http://trackoholics.com/RCR/index.html
Give Fran a call.You can build a bad ass(2100# 450hp) GT40 fopr less than the $65,000 you'll spend on the NSX. He can set it up for a Porsche G50 trans that will take all of the power and then some and you won't have to worry about the whole ZF thing.
Let me know if you would like to discuss it further.

Ron

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 126_2622_(Medium)
Most of us here are car lovers. Some like different flavors. I love the Pantera but just do not drive it.

The main reason is I have an STi with around 10k worth of mods and it is a rocket on the road course. It is the most fun you can have with your close on.

FYI I have driven an NSX with a Comp SC and it took care of the underpowered issue. Good luck.
Coz,
No one can say what is best for you but you. If you feel it is time to let the Pantera go as you have seen everyone is supportive of your decision. Although this group has a common theme its not the Pantera that makes it special. Its the comradarie and support given by all here. Whether it be a DeTomaso,Acura or an Isuzu for that matter you know you have made a bunch of friends who will be here whenever you want to have a place to hang out. Not to mention there is still a lot of knowledge you can continue to give. Best of luck with the NSX. They are awesome cars that have enormous potential. For me the Pantera is my dream car and thats where I'll stay. Look forward to seeing that NSX at a future event.

Blaine
Thanks Ron, I very much appreciate the thought. The problem is with a kit car would be the financing of it. I need to pull some of the money out of the Pantera for some other things.
With the NSX I can finance some of it. But I do very much appreciate your thoughts brother.

quote:
Originally posted by r mccall:
Jim,
Sorry to see that you are selling your Pantera.If you think that a GT40 is over your head, you should check out Race Car Replicas.
http://trackoholics.com/RCR/index.html
Give Fran a call.You can build a bad ass(2100# 450hp) GT40 fopr less than the $65,000 you'll spend on the NSX. He can set it up for a Porsche G50 trans that will take all of the power and then some and you won't have to worry about the whole ZF thing.
Let me know if you would like to discuss it further.

Ron
Just to let everyone know. My car has been sold and is now Julian's (Joules) car.

This is by far one of the hardest things I've had to do by selling it, but I know it's going to a good home and will be well taken care of.

I'm not feeling that great about it right now and I'm sure it won't get any better for a long time to come. But sometimes we have to do things not because we want to but because we have to.

Thank you guys for all the interest & support throughout this. I appreciate you guys more than you'll ever know.
Last edited by coz
quote:
Originally posted by Coz:
Just to let everyone know. My car has been sold and is now Julian's (Joules) car.

This is by far one of the hardest things I've had to do by selling it, but I know it's going to a good home and will be well taken care of.

I'm not feeling that great about it right now and I'm sure it won't get any better for a long time to come. But sometimes we have to do things not because we want to but because we have to.

Thank you guys for all the interest & support throughtout this. I appreciate you guys more than you'll ever know.

Rice Burner!, Rice Burner! Hey you know I still love you man! Wink
Well at least now he won't have to worry about the price of gas going up. He will get sixty or seventy miles per gallon. What he would have spent on an engine will now go to replacing that hybrid battery pack. But I hear they do have nice steroes to listen to. And he can use a coffee can to replace the muffler. All in all he will be happier with a honda. I had one of their motorcycles years ago and it was a good solid piece of machinery. To each their own I always say. Live and let die.
Coz,

First, thanks for the time you spent on the phone with me while I was still looking. You gave me the confidence to set a maximum price and stay within it, rather than chasing prices upwards.

Every person has their own reasons for having their specific car. Originally, I wanted to have a mid-engine car, for the handling. The Fiat X1/9 and the 914 seemed underpowered, so when I learned the price for the Pantera (US$10,823.00 in 1974), I had to have one.

When I took the racing school in that Pantera, the Formula Fords blew by me like I was a mobile chicane (we were all novices on the track). The following year, I took the school in a very nice mid-engine Lola T340 and the Pantera was sold. I campaigned that Lola for three years, and leaned how to drive. (Best season: 1977, Third in points for Formula Ford, CASC Prairie Region.)

That was 30 years ago. Since then, I have looked at various NSX's and liked them, but never wanted to buy one: no trunk space, and they didn't live up to the memory of my Pantera. I'm no longer interested in maximum performance. What I want now is a good-handling high-performance fast car I can go away in for a week, with luggage for two. Oh, and turnings heads is nice, too. My second Pantera fits this bill rather well.

I'm sure Acura doesn't need any endorsement from me, but we have owned a 1992 Integra GS since new. It has 210k miles (338k km) on it now, and we still like it so much we kept it rather than trading it in 8 months ago. If the NSX is as well-built, it will serve you very well indeed.

My condolences on the sale of your Pantera, and best wishes in finding and modifying an NSX. Hey, if you are ever in Victoria and nostalgic, you can drive my Pantera.
quote:
And i am happy, that i refused the offer of a real gentleman and kept it.

Whew, that was close! Roland, glad to hear you followed your gut on this one.

Somehow, I don't think having the ultimate [race, show, driver, whatever] car is the reason for the Pantera's aura. It's an imperfect but very lovable beast. How else you gonna justify its following?
Your car is beautiful Roland. I would love to see more of it. Even with all the quirks these beasts have, nothing comes close. Your desciption of the passion for your car hit home. It's a perfect explanation why we all enjoy our cars so much - staring at them for hours in the garage; underneath them with our tools; or behind the wheel tearing up some lonely highway.

There isn't a car on the road I would trade mine for - except maybe yours; or DOES 200s burgundy beauty, or the Orange one for sale here; or Blaine's turbo monster; or the Black Group 4 I saw in Monterey; or any of Lazlo Antal's wonderful creations; or...
Passion IS what the Pantera is all about. Pantera owners are passionate about their cars, which is why we bought them in the first place. If they were nothing more than a financial investment, or an accessory to be seen in, like a Rolex watch, we would wash 'em, wax 'em, and keep them stock, take them out of the garage only when we want to be seen "wearing" 'em. Like the owners of certain other marques.

But we modify them, and we race them, and we go up and down emotionally with them, because we're passionate about them, it is almost a requisite for Pantera ownership.

Enthusiasts who are passionate about Ferraris race them and modify them too, they swim against the tide, because passionate people don't own their possessions because its what everybody else is doing. They go their own way!

Charlie Falcone was interviewed on stage at Monterey this year. Mr. Martin asked him why he chose to own a Guara? Charlie replied, "because I like to own things that nobody else has"! Passion!

9178 is not the first Pantera that Coz has owned. He owned one back in the '70s. Jim has owned 9178 longer than he has ever owned any of his sports cars. Why? Because it drew the passion from him. Like a woman that drives you crazy, but you can't let her go. Coz has also developed emotional ties with Pantera owners. Why? Because in us he has found like souls, people with passion.

Jim had to make a decision that all family men have to make from time to time, to put the needs of his family ahead of his own needs. Otherwise he would not be selling 9178. I guarantee you, when things get better, Jim will be back in the market for Pantera #3.

I think I just wrote my next editorial!

lol..................
Last edited by George P
Link copied to your clipboard.