Keeping with originality, I replaced my compressor with a YORK 209210. It's identical except for the clutch, it protrudes about 1/2" too far and the pulley is about that much larger in diameter than original, so the belt doesn't line up. Now I'm thinking I'll just have my original unit re-manufactured. Does anybody know of a good place I can send it to?

I thought about changing the clutch from my original to the new unit, but I think they are pressed on and require special tools. Anybody know anything about that?
Original Post

Assuming your new compressor is the same as the old York compressors used by Ford, there's no special tool required. There are 3 steps to remove the clutch:

(1) Remove the belt, energize the clutch
(2) Loosen & remove the clutch mounting bolt & washer
(3) Install a 5/8-11 bolt in the drive shaft hole, tighten the bolt which will bear against the compressor shaft until the clutch pops loose from the shaft.

Likes (0)