When stopped at a signal, the rate of the turn signal flasher changes when the brakes are applied. It is faster when the brakes are on. The flasher is normal when the brakes are off. I am trying to figure out the root cause of the problem. Has anyone come across this issue? Thank you.
Replies sorted oldest to newest
I’ve always thought the rate of flashing was dependent on the amperage load found in the circuit. That is why old school flashers fail to properly perform when all the bulbs are replaced with LED. With this in mind I have no idea why hitting the brakes could increase the flasher load; The brake circuit and turn signal circuit are not by design connected at any point
do you have an old-school flasher or a newer LED capable flasher? Not sure it makes a difference just trying to gather information
Does the increased flashing rate when the brakes are applied happen with both left and right turn signals?
Have you visually checked to see if the turn signal dims when the brake is applied? Check all four corners.
It could be that you have a bad ground at one or more of the four corners.
Yes, something may be dimming. A while back my wife was following the car during testing and said a brake light or turn signal on one side was dim while braking. I will try to duplicate the problem in the garage and if successful will work on reseating the grounds.
Have you confirmed you have the correct bulbs on both sides of the car. I found someone had replaced one side in my car with the wrong bulb and thus I had a brighter side and dimmer side. It also affected when turn signals were on and off. I replaced them all and cleaned all the terminals and redid the grounds on the back of the car and now all is good.
Steve, I also noticed my grounds to the chassis were coated with paint and I cleaned them well. Made a big difference.
I will add that I notice since John Taphorn rebuilt my turn signal switch, all of the related systems work 100% better. The flashers, green indicator light, and flashers etc. are all very responsive. I believe the switch itself was causing poor performance.