Reply to "Goose Starter"


Since you have the motor out, look at the ring gear and see if the teeth are at the edge of the flywheel closest to the engine. IF they are closest to the edge where the clutch mounts, then you will need the automatic flywheel.

I would LOVE to have all the numbers on your engine when you get a chance, both casting numbers and date codes.

There is a casting number on the flywheel too, as well as perhaps a stamped number in about 1/4" letters. Also dated...

I would like numbers from: Cylinder block, heads, intake, distributor, carb, flywheel if available. Also the casting number on the harmonic balancer too. (May need to pull off the pulley to see these.

While you are at it, if the crank and water pump pulleys are Ford steel items, they may also have numbers. If can get them, it would verify a source of easy to get (relatively!) pulleys rather than the hard to find cast iron DeT versions!!

Reason I ask, is that I have only ever seen early car #508, and it would be interesting to compare numbers with it! It indeed is a hipo.

Car #760, which I sold to the UK, had a steel Ford pulley on the crank and I'm guessing a matching water pump pulley.

My car, $878, has cast iron pulleys. Why DeT would choose to machine new odd. Not necessarily for ol' Alejandro...but odd. Smiler

Also, do you have a full sized block plate (behind the flywheel) on the motor, or a cut one to just cover the lower part of the exposed flywheel?

Any chance you have the bracket on the RH side of the intake that is supposed to hold the spark plug wires off of the jackshaft? I sent one to the UK without copying it....stupid me!

Hope this helps!