Best Fixes for under $20
by Larry Finch, posted to the DeTomaso Forum on June 17, 2003
The following maintenance should also be the first order of business for any new Pantera owner...
- Add an emergency front hood release cable.
- Make sure your engine oil dipstick is the correct length. Early cars showed "Full" but were actually a quart low.
- Add Zerk grease fittings to your ball joints.
- Replace stock ceramic/aluminum-strip fuses with GBC glass fuses and clean all fuse holders.
- Make sure throttle linkage has two return springs.
- Make sure water temp sender is moved from surge tank to engine block.
- Change ZF gear oil.
- Change brake fluid.
- Change clutch fluid.
- Make sure distributor gear shear pin is upgraded to stock pin with a second smaller pin inside for added strength.
- Drill drain holes in rust prone areas, if not already done on your car.
- Remove stock spring spacers if they are still there after thirty years.
- Make sure cooling system has all air bubbles removed.
- Re-route overflow tank vent hose to exit behind rear wheel.
- Add two heater hose shut-off valves to assist the A/C in actually cooling the cabin.
- Buy a fire extinguisher
I just wanted you to know that I have printed your punch list of suggestions and I am going to follow each and every one.