Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depending on what type of DOT fluid you are using, you can do one of two things. If you are using DOT 5 silicone fluid, you cannot mix it with any other type of fluid.

If you are using the more traditional DOT 3 or 4 fluid, you can use ATE brake fluid in either blue or amber. Clean out the master cylinder as Ron states. Add the new fluid to the master cylinder, and when the fluid comes out in the new color, you are done. With the amber and blue colors, you use the other color the next time to know you have the right fluid coming out.
Once again thanks to all,
I own a motive bleeder and have used the ATE colored fluids with a BMW of mine. The master cyl. brass block and equalizer have been removed and reinstalled for a trunk over-haul. I believe the Ford shop manual states to start with the left rear wheel and to proceed to the right rear-right front and left front last?
quote:
Does anyone know if there is a adapter for the power bleeder to accommodate the after market U. S. style master cylinder or does one have to made from an extra cap?

1. Make one from an extra cap, or...

2. Make a universal cap - Get a rectangular piece of 1/4" thick aluminum (slightly longer and wider than any of the master cylinders you will want to use it on), drill a hole in the center to install brass fittings or the bleeder hose, and line the inside with some rubber gasket material. The use small clamps or bungie cords to affix the universal cap/bleeder plate atop any master cylinder you wish to bleed.

One more tip...
Extend the hose/nipple on the inside of the cap about 1/2" down into the master cylinder. This will be the level to which the master is filled when bleeding the brakes and will save you the trouble of removing excess fluid from the reservoir when you're done.
Link copied to your clipboard.