Skip to main content

...I understand that these Restrictor Plates; that press into the pocket, in the 351 Cleveland Block, just under the Themostat; are near impossible to find!! My Solution: I just finished Reverse Engineering, Drafting, and Machining a Matching 'Punch and Die' Set, to produce these in numbers large enough to meet everybodys needs. I have the Brass Sheet and we are turning them out as You read this. The Material is Pure '260' Yellow 'Cartridge Brass'. Highly Resistant to Corrosion. Beautiful!, You'll hate to hide it down inside the Engine Block. The Same Dimensions and Thickness of Brass. ALL the Proper, and Correct Fillets and Funnel Shapes are there. I create Them Better than the original! Different only because the word 'TOP' is NOT Stamped into the metal. If You know what these are, and How they are Installed; You already Know which Side goes UP!. I am selling them for $35.00 Each. Plus $4.55 for Shipping to the US ONLY. Sure Beats that arodited steel piece of junk, some poor soul paid $79.00 for on Ebay, last week! Contact Me at: pantera1974@verizon.net Thank-You!...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

the restrictor plate was installed by Ford in every 351C they manufactured. The cooling system cannot operate as designed without it. However, replacements have not been available for years. OEM restrictor plates sell on ebay for unreasonable amounts of money because they are so scarce.

If you are building a new 351C motor, or rebuilding your existing motor, the advantage is you now have a source for a oem quality new restrictor plate to install in your new or rebuilt motor. In the past you either had to search the wrecking yard for a usable used one, manufacture one yourself or redesign the cooling system.

Love your new member name!

cowboy from hell
It is the Weiand pump that has the blocked recirc passage, not the Edelbrock pump.

Think for a moment. If the recirc passage is blocked, and the thermostat is closed (the motor is cold) how can the coolant pump circulate coolant? It can't, you have dead-headed the pump.

If there is no coolant circulating, what is happening to the coolant within the cylinder heads? It is turning into steam, forming steam pockets, the head is developing hot spots.

Then to make things worse, hot coolant finally migrates to the thermostat, the thermostat opens and allows a slug of cold coolant to circulate through the block, when the cold coolant hits the thermostat it slams closed again.

So you have a cylinder head with hot spots, then you thermally shock it with cold cooolant. And this happens over and over until the motor reaches operating temperature. and this happens every time you start the motor.

Sitting in the cockpit, you watch the needle on the temp gage stay at the far left of the dial instead of gradually moving up the scale. Then the needle pulses suddenly towards full scale stays there for a moment, and then swings back to the left end of the dial. It pulses over and over like this until the motor finally warms up.

cowboy from hell
Link copied to your clipboard.