Skip to main content

Jerry at PIM showed me how to modify my stock light buckets to work with the GroupIV lenses that I bought off ebay. I did a lot more than necessary, but the end result is that the lights look great at night, as well as the day. I also blacked out the chrom trim on the lenses so that they'd match the rest of the car.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Looks good! Want to fill us in on the steps to modify stock light buckets?

Mostly it involves making four short flatbar pieces, about half an inch wide by however tall the lense is. These are used as adaptor plates, since the GroupIV lenses have screw holes in slightly different places. They will screw to your stock buckets, and then the new lense will screw to the plates. Then pieces of bent aluminum sheet metal are also rivited to those flatbars, to direct light to the proper lense area, since the lightbulbs in the stock buckets don't line up with the new lenses.

You can get away with just the flat bars and sheet metal, but I guess I'm a bit picky so I went a few steps further. I sealed the sheetmetal dividers to the housing with some epoxy, to keep the light in the right places. I also cut away some of the stock bucket plastic with a dremel. This allows light to travel the full height of the lense, instead of being in just the upper, or lower area. And last, I cut some sheetmetal vertical dividers that protrude into the lenses to keep the light in the right areas.

It was a lot of work... the larger portion of a full day for me to do, but I think it was worth it.

If anyone is really interested, give me a shout and I'll take some close up pics of the modified buckets. Or you can head down to PI. They have a couple examples there. They'll even make everything for you if you'd rather spend money instead of time.
No idea actually on the tail lights. I bought em off Ebay and they didn't specify. I'm totally happy with them though.

And I'm not sure about the license plates. It's just something that I've been warned to do when posting pics on the net. And yeah, has something to do with getting info from the DMV... something like if you give them a plate number, they'll give you the addy where it's registered. Doesn't make sense to me that the DMV would do that, but I figure better safe than sorry.

-Chris

quote:
Originally posted by DOES 200:
Nice tail lights. Altissimo or Carello? Just curious why some delete out the lic plate. Is it that easy to hack into DMV and get info on a person or a car from the lic plate?
No idea actually on the tail lights. I bought em off Ebay and they didn't specify. I'm totally happy with them though.

And I'm not sure about the license plates. It's just something that I've been warned to do when posting pics on the net. And yeah, has something to do with getting info from the DMV... something like if you give them a plate number, they'll give you the addy where it's registered. Doesn't make sense to me that the DMV would do that, but I figure better safe than sorry.

-Chris

Not much difference in the tail lights, but it will say the name on the lense if you are interested. Also see links below. Not sure if that is true with the DMV as it doesn't sound right as it would be that easy to get a persons address from a plate. So much for nice persoanalized plates if someone wants to hunt down a $2 million hemi Cuda from a car show or something.

Carello:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61629084/76952032NWJNJg

Altissimo:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/61629084/76952113NxDxse
Here are a few pics. The first one kind of details out what was cut, etc. The other two are different angles. I turned the lights and flashers on and snapped a photo of them turned on. Night time pics of lights never really work very well, but you get the idea. You can tell that the driving/brake light bulb is high, but it still looks good (better than the pic suggests). The turn signals and back-up lights look perfect though.

That came out pretty good. I've got Altissimo GP4 lights and buckets on my Pantera...and the only exterior difference I notice is the brake/taillight on the Altissimos illuminate as a circle in the center of the lens.

NICE carbon fiber rear bumpers!! Is that a PIM product?
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
That came out pretty good. I've got Altissimo GP4 lights and buckets on my Pantera...and the only exterior difference I notice is the brake/taillight on the Altissimos illuminate as a circle in the center of the lens.

NICE carbon fiber rear bumpers!! Is that a PIM product?

Thanks, I'm really happy with them. Considering how hard it is to find real GP4 buckets, it's a good option. Smiler

Yes, the bumpers are PIM's and they're just beautiful! They fit well too.
quote:
Originally posted by MacMan:
The lenses actually say "SUPERREFLEX" on them. That's the only readable text that I can find. Gonna take some pictures now...

Probably aftermarket lenses if Altissimo or Carello is not stated on the lense. Nothing wrong with that however as they look real good. Nice work on the buckets too...looks like lots of work, but pay off looks good.
Link copied to your clipboard.