Skip to main content

I just purchased a 1985 GT5. It has a built for track Boss 351. Dynoed at 495 rear wheel HP. Previous owner has had car to 185 MPH. Car did a lot of sitting, and clutch is slipping at higher RPM's. Springs weak I suspect. I am going to replace clutch soon. What are the groups suggestions for parts. This is a hydrolic clutch, and I don't know what flywheel is in car, although I might be able to hunt through old reciepts to see if different flywheel was purchased. Please advise.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a dual disc setup in mine and when the clutch wore out I decided to just have it rebuilt, clutch and pressure plate and had the flywheel resurfaced. Then two weeks later the clutch slave cylinder went out all told I spent less than $400. That was I think two years ago, no problems since. While you have the tranny out its not a bad idea to check the ring gear and see if its been safety wired.
Jeff
quote:
This is a hydraulic clutch,

Well, of course it is. Wink All Panteras had a hydraulic clutch versus mechanical.

I presume what you mean is you have the internal (inside the bellhousing) hydraulic throwout bearing?

I also have this type of throwout bearing. Made by McLeod (Weber). In the days before long throw slave cylinders became available to us, these were a somewhat popular option. Mine was installed, as many were, by Dennis Quella using some adapter pieces.

When they work, fine. They work. But when they don't is the problem. No external adjustments like the stock slave cylinder. You MUST remove the ZF to begin to do any adjustments, or to replace any of the o-rings; which are in fact square sided rings, not round.

Their proper operation requires very precise set-up for proper operation. Perhaps no more than a stock unit, but it must all be done with caliper measurements prior to final assembly.

So, instead of jumping to the conclusion your clutch is slipping as a result of its own problems, it may be a question of the throwout bearing not fully releasing.

I do actually think this is probably not what your issue is. I suspect, with that much horsepower,you do have a clutch issue.

But the hydraulic throw out bearing is perhaps a new critter for you to deal with (it sure was for me.. Frowner) and it will add another dimension to your task.

Also, the rubber square rings are famous for drying out due to non-use, which you mentioned.
I would advise you replace the rings with whatever work you do on the clutch.

And then, as I and others have found out, with fresh tight seals in the slave, the still-old seals in the Master Cylinder are often found to not be up to the task. They start failing by allowing an internal fluid bypass, requiring a rebuild of the MC, too.

We are here to help you, and want you to get your car back out on the road so you can terrorize the local Vette and Ferrari owners. Big Grin

Welcome to the joys of ownership!

Larry

Here is an exploded view of the McLeod unit_

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Picture_7
Link copied to your clipboard.