Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THE DEPTH OF THE SUMP HAS NO RELATION WITH THE TOP LEVEL OF THE OIL. HENCE THE OIL LEVEL AND DIPSTICK LENGTH WILL REMAIN THE SAME AT 38.0 INCHES TIP TO STOP. AND IN A 10 QRT. PAN YOU WILL ADD MORE OIL UNTIL YOU HIT THE SAME LEVEL LINE AS BEFORE. MARLIN
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Anyone know how long dipstick and tube
should be for 10qt. oil pan, and how much
should extend into block and pan?
Thanks TJ.

The length of the stick is not as critical as the pentration into the block. It should go in 9 15/16 inches from the insertion point. I have just had a LOKAR dip stick made to this spec and all is well. The length of the stick "handle" is not as critical as is the pentration into the block for proper readings of oil level. The handle is to allow us not to show how badly we can't find the hole when we check the oil

Greg
This question came up a month or so back; as far as I know, 10-qt pans and stock pans are the same depth, so the stock Pantera dipstick (not the stock 351C stick for a Mustang) works accurately. FYI, it should be 38.0 inches from the stop on to to the tip in the pan per TSP 5, Article 34. In some '10-qt' pans, they hold 8-1/2 qts plus whatever filter you use.
Link copied to your clipboard.