Skip to main content

I've found a 1973 European GTS on the net and have talked to the seller. Are euro GTS' different than the American ones and should I see a price difference? Does the VIN number have a "GT" in it like american models? Will it have higher compression ratios and less smog equipment? Are there any unusual things I should look out for besides the km vs miles/hr?
Original Post
All std-body Panteras sold in Europe were called "GTS'. They didn't have all the DOT-mandated safety features; they may not have had the required smog stuff either, depending on where they were originally sold. As far as the engine, lets face it- the machine is 29 years old and likely has had several owners fiddling with it. Anything could be in there, but it should have had a std 351C 4-V. By and large, Euro-cars may have the same type of rust damage and 2nd-gear synchro problems as many East Coast salt-belt cars, so be very sure to check this. All gauges will be in metric units which will become annoying after a while to some drivers. The std "THPNxxxxxx" serial number will be there; "THGTSxxxxx" serial was only for the 150+ units built for North America in '73-74. Look at the brakes- a few GR-3 cars were also 'GTS' and carried BIG 3-piston Girling front/rear brakes w/thick vented rotors, for club racing along with more powerful engines. You might get lucky- less than 50 GR-3 cars were built '71-78 and are quite sought-after.
Link copied to your clipboard.