Skip to main content

Well, I've held on to her as long as I could. Through 2 layoffs at two different companies and little to no time to play with her.

Any thoughts on the best way to market her?

Any opinions on price range for a highly modified 427 sideoiler car?

I'm trying to confirm the origin of the 427 block, refrenses I have found link it to Lola racing, but no true documents that I have confirm this.
Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.
Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jeff,

Sorry to hear you are selling. Looks like a nice car.

Lots of large detailed photos posted somewhere (there are lots of free photo sites) and maybe an ad on eBay (just to generate exposure) along with the excellent suggestions made by Mike and Larry. Check out the kind of photos that PIM does when they sell a car. I think they do as good a job as anyone when it comes to taking useful and high-quality photos of their cars for sale.

Good luck with the sale and I hope we see you back in the seat again in the future.

Of course, posting more details and an asking price here would be a good idea as well.

Mark
Thanks for all the advice.
I had spoken to Dave Adler(emails) last year just before I went to Bulgaria about pricing in todays(last years Razzer)market.
Biggest thing would be finding the buyer who is looking for one of the few 427 powered Panteras out there. Possibly an overseas sale that I am not familiar with arranging. Many plusses to consigning the car to PIM.

A few of the documents from the build.

Scans of the dyno testing done at the completion of the build in '89.

I'll be putting the louvers back on the car and getting it ready for a local car show this weekend and will get a complete set of current pictures for a possible eBay sale.

Thanks
Jeff
Here are the latest pictures with the louvers re-installed.
Would these work well for a for sale writeup or eBay auction or should I gt some with minimal background "clutter".
I have a possible Cobra shop that might let me get shop pictures, maybe with an aluminum cobra body in the background?
I was thinking of promoting it to the Cobra crowd, tieing in with the 427FE? Make a nice stablemate to a 427 Cobra?

Clicking photo will open a photobucket slideshow page.
Now's really not the time to be selling a car. The unstable economy has most people holding onto their money and most of the sales are "fire sales" where owners are forced to sell cheap. I've had the 5-0 pushbutton continuously listed on Ebay, not so much thinking that it will sell but more for the free advertising and world wide exposure. I've almost sold it twice but the owners could not swing the financing. I've received numerous trade offers from a Nissan GTR, a pair of custom Choppers, and numerous muscle cars. It's fun seeing what trade offers come in. People like the Panteras but I guess don't have the cash.
If that's Don Welch's 427 targa, it was the first one ever built, done 5 or so years before any such 'kits' were available, before Hall did a few similar cars and well before Pavesi did some targa-topped GT5-S cars for the DeTomaso factory. After the FE engine was in place, Don punched the throttle during his first test drive and the body flexed enough from torque that both doors popped open. Much time and engineering went into stiffening the monococque so that didn't happen again, even when it was open-tracked a few times. There's quite a bit of history on that particular So-Cal machine.
David,

I dug out my 'Big Book' Pantera album just for you and took some digital pictures of pictures of Hall's targa subframe I took in Vegas in '93. He had the parts displayed arranged like the car itself because he hadn't yet completed (or even started?) Purple Passion. They're not the best pictures because they were dark to begin with and I had to take the digital pictures on an angle with no flash to reduce glare.

I don't ever recall Hall offering these parts for sale, but I do recall him saying that he would never do another one again because it was just too much of a pain in the ass and too labor intensive. He said he wouldn't duplicate Purple Passion for $400,000.

First picture is more or less straight on:

Michael

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PurPash_Targa_FrameA
Thanks Michael! That's the one.

Yes, I also saw it in their showroom. It was anodized purple and pink. But was also available in steel or aluminum. I was amazed how inexpensive it was.

Topless? Hmmm... I'm keeping it in mind for the next one I build. I have the body, trim, colour, drivetrain and interior all figured - except for the roof.

Now all I need is the money Wink
quote:
Originally posted by 4NFORD:
Now's really not the time to be selling a car. The unstable economy has most people holding onto their money and most of the sales are "fire sales" where owners are forced to sell cheap. I've had the 5-0 pushbutton continuously listed on Ebay, not so much thinking that it will sell but more for the free advertising and world wide exposure. I've almost sold it twice but the owners could not swing the financing. I've received numerous trade offers from a Nissan GTR, a pair of custom Choppers, and numerous muscle cars. It's fun seeing what trade offers come in. People like the Panteras but I guess don't have the cash.

Yeah, haven't had a lotta luck with eBay lately, lotsa trade offers. Got my 'Cuda relisted after the top bidder flaked on a buy it now he begged for and never pushed the button.
Link copied to your clipboard.