Skip to main content

I just purchased a set of 4 pt. seat belts and was wondering what others have done for the mounting points. I was thinking of making a steel plate to replace the original retracting seat belt mount on the outsides for the lap belts using 11 gauge steel. Now, for the shoulder harnesses, I was thinking of welding nuts into the upper rear channel that is just below the rear window and reinforcing this channel with some additional steel. This is the same channel that the original 3 pt. shoulder harness attached to. What have others done for their attachment points? Pictures are always welcome.... Thanks......
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did this upgrade also.

For the shoulder harness there is a premade bar of flat steel that I bought from Hall. It is powdercoated black and prebent to the correct shape.

It bolts up to the existing shoulder harness mounts on the bulkhead.
It permits you to slide the shoulder harnesses left to right.
The only negative to this set up is that in NYS, one is required to wear all belts the car is equipped with or pay the $75 fine per occurance.

I have submarine belts also for track use but since I just converted the car to power seats, I still have to figure out how to put them in so as not to interfere with the operation on the seats.

The seat belts require a new hole through the floor on the inside of the seats. I have lowered pans so this is easy.

On the outside where the retractors are I removed the retractor and either drilled a new 1/2" hole or used one that already existed. I don't remember which was the situation.

The retractors are stored away for future historic use in my museum. Cool
Everyone I know (including me) has the aftermarket crossbrace Doug refers to for the shoulder harnesses, unless of course they have a roll bar installed. My lap belts simply bolt to the '74 OEM mounting points on the inside of the seat and through the rocker plate on the outside. I understand earlier cars had different seat belt arrangement so YMMV.

Julian
I use the cross bar mentioned and the stock inside floor attachment holes. I fabricated the plates your thinking about out of 14 guage steel and painted black crinkle. I attached with SS socket bolts and washers. Used a big washer on the back side of the belt mounting bolt to spread the load if needed.
Jim Cain
My 79 has a entirely different seat belt arangement then the older cars ... problem was the retractors were shot ... and I just found the replacement set new on ebay ..I;m waiting for them to come.

I choose the option because I had a roll cage and harnesses .. on the street it was overkill.

I also would like to sse the Hall seat belt bar ??

Ron
I bought this from Hall Pantera aswell.
The bar did not fit my car, and had to be altered. My car seems to be narrower. And I changed the radius of the bar at both ends. by cutting several cuts, and bending the bar, to reduce the lenght of the bar.. Then welding the cuts and paint. the whole thing.
Its not a bolt on.

Best regards
Frode
Link copied to your clipboard.