Skip to main content


I am trying to setup the PCV and vapor hoses that connect to the stock Pantera air cleaner housing via two ports on the side of the housing.  In the above picture the short black hose connects the oil filler cap to a small filter inside the housing.  Next, the yellow hose is a mockup of the connection between the air cleaner housing and the charcoal vapor can.  I have two questions at this point:

1. Is the black hose configured correctly?

2.  Is the yellow hose also correct?  If so, where can I find the actual hose connection to the air cleaner housing since mine is missing?


Images (1)
  • C5B6412B-D680-4F15-9C4C-4172F04B2983
Last edited by stevebuchanan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You need this for the air cleaner base, and they are hard to find.

Then this for the hose

You paint it black, but beware, it is fragile, very thin wall aluminum. I would like to find a substitue, but rubber hoses seem to be way too thick and bulky, and they pull the fitting out of the air cleaner.

Last edited by rrs1
@bluepant posted:

This diagramm always puzzles me. The PCV system requires vacuum. Right? Therefore, the PCV valve must be connected to the carburetor or intake manifold. Am I wrong? In the diagram the connection is shown the other way round (PCV valve connected to the air cleaner). Please correct me if I am wrong

Oooh. . .

I JUST noticed that when I went to color above cartoon.   I got those illustrations from the shop manual. 

There are TWO vents involved.  With engine running the flow is- air is drawn into the air cleaner and filtered; a small amount is pulled from the ac into the left rocker cap via #1 vacuum hose, through the crankcase and via a second hose pulls air & blow-by out to #2 cap, all pulled via manifold vacuum into the intake plenum to be burned. Leaving #1 hose off only means that unfiltered air is drawn into the crankcase by manifold vacuum. In dusty areas you may notice that #1 rocker cover & cylinder head gets a little dirtier inside than #2. There are two different fully interchangable rocker cover grommets: OEM is noticeably larger OD than current replacements.

A 2nd place is from the filtered fuel tank vent near the sender to the charcoal canister (which only has a 5 yr operating life before it's hopelessly saturated), then to the air cleaner. When the engine is operating, fumes are sucked into the carb from the charcoal canister into the air cleaner & burned. Leaving out an ancient charcoal canister only means that sometimes you may smell tank fumes inside the car when first starting out.  They are replaceable (stock Ford/Mercury/Lincoln) but ours has been gone for 35 yrs & we've never noticed....

The little sheet steel tank vent cover has a small piece of filter/baffle-foam inside that's probably disintegrated after nearly 50 yrs. Drill out 3 pop-rivets to access; the tank holes are threaded for screws but Ford saved a penny with unserviceable pop rivets. Remove the fuel sender next to the vent & reach inside with pieces of masking or duct tape to catch drilled-out rivet ends. Otherwise they will fall to the bottom of the tank and be difficult to fish out since they're aluminum. This is where Hall's economical (< $50) anti-rollover safety valve inserts. Such valves are mandatory in all modern cars. The tank vent will still be functional.

the PCV valve gets fitted into the rubber grommet in the flower shaped valve cover twist cap and a 3/8" hose connects the PCV valve to a vacuum source near the carburetor base plate.

the plastic elbow you have in the flower cap goes in the opposite valve cover grommet and is somewhat correct from there except for length if needed

unless DeTomaso swapped the valve covers to position the flower cap to the rear of the engine for easier oil fill and also flipped the PVC and breather hose?

Last edited by 4vandproud

I found a molded hose that connects the charcoal vapor can to the air cleaner.  Its inside diameter works  well with both the vapor can and the air cleaner adaptor.  It is Dayco 80413 ($11) and can be cut to fit.  The original parts from Ford are no longer available except on eBay or similar maybe.  One of the Mustang parts vendors has the adaptor (used) at the end of the new hose below for $30.



Images (1)
  • D150953B-5DFB-4E70-ABA7-94974596CB32_1_201_a
Last edited by stevebuchanan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.