Skip to main content

I have noticed that there are a few Panteras with Delta wings installed.

I was wondering if the wing makes the rear deck lid situation worse?

To those of you who have them, if one needs to brace the rear deck to keep from chipping the paint on the ends how do you brace it with the wing installed?

I know that I had a problem of tearing out the deck lid hinges when I changed the deck shock lifts. I don't have a wing.
How do you deal with these issues with the wing on?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a delta wing and I bought an upper trunk latch. Pantera Proformance has them listed for $20. Part #EB1080 on their website. Sorry, no picture.

http://www.precisionproformance.com/enginebay.htm

I have had zero chipping since 2001 and I drive my car quite a lot.

As far as bracing, I don't have any. I also have the stock decklid shocks that don't work anymore. I use a metal rod to prop up the lid (similar to front hood).

I hope this helps.

John
I have a Delta wing and it was always chipping the corners. But it wasn't the decklid that was moving. I followed my son around in my car checking the gap all along the rear deck and what I thought was deck movement was in fact the body flexing!

Since I installed the complete stiffener kit then redid the visual test and there was no more movement. I have had no more chipping (and no more cracks in the pillars or anywhere else) since stiffening the chassis. The car handles so much better, letting the suspension do its work.
First let me state that I in no way mean to be critical of anyone who will or has joined in.
My thought was simply that the additional stress placed on the decklind can't be good.
If I seem to have a tone, I don't intend to.

I already know the deck flex issue.
I already know that adding additional lift to the shocks is risky. I tore my hinges out by doing so.

Question for Deeb; did you have stress cracks in the rear roof pillars? Are they actually metal cracks or are they just cracks in the paint?

My wife refers to them as the Pantera cracks. Every car that I have seen that has been repainted has them. I think they are in the paint only. I don't see them on original paint cars. It's very strange. Maybe the paint needs flexing agent in it?

Anyway Deeb did you repair the cracks and repaint the car after you installed the stiffening kit?

I've only seen a couple of cars with roll cages with tubes to the rear tubs.
I'm wondering if they would help in eliminating the roof cracks? I've heard some mention that they will cause the front pillars to crack.
Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, I have the "Pantera" cracks at the base of the front pillars and at the roof of the rear pillars. They were growing every year, but since I added the stiffener kit it stopped.

The paint is original, but I am planning to retouch some of it this winter. When I get there I'll let you know if it's just the paint or the leading.

The stiffer the chassis the less stress on body joints and paint - and the less cracking you will find. That is for sure. In 7 years of hard driving there has been no further cracking anywhere.
Link copied to your clipboard.