Skip to main content

Tom@Seal Beach,

As you are considering painting your ZF, Here's how I did mine.

I recently rebuilt my ZF. After I finished assembling the box, I then spent an entire week on the paint. Rubbing down in between all the little ribs is very time consuming. To make the ZF look really nice, dont shoot the clear over bare aluminium, you just have to treat it like you would if you where painting a body panel. Self etching primer (acid etch), silver base, urethane (2 pack) clear coat. Then sanding flat with 1200 grip paper, then more clear if necessary, 1200 grit then 3M Perfect it fast cut, 3M Perfect it fine, 3M Imperial Hand glaze, Harly Wax.

The most important thing of all when painting an engine or tranny is to get it completely clean and free of oil.
I dont like powder coating because I dont have control over the finish.
I made a carousel so that I could turn the box with one hand, and shoot the paint with the other.

Johnny

Attachments

Images (9)
  • zf_pic_1
  • ZF_pic_2
  • ZF_pic_3
  • ZF_pic_4
  • ZF_pic_5
  • ZF_pic_6
  • ZF_pic_7
  • ZF_pic_8
  • ZF_pic_9
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Johnny, Thanks for taking the time to post pictures of your extraordinary automotive artistry. I havent forgot about your request at Las Vegas for some pictures of that orange 5s ish looking car we both admire. Email me at tecnosound@hotmail.com. and I will try and forward some to you. I have recently had trouble sending to over sea email destinations and I want to see if they will go through.- Jim Coyne

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.