Skip to main content

I got a call from Daryle tonight, Friday at 8:00 PM. It's a done deal. Everybody that ordered wheels is getting 25% off.

In all, there were 12 sets ordered. I asked him to also give Adam Kats until Monday to call in his order at the 25% discount and Daryle said he would if I contact Adam and let him know, which I've done.

Everybody can take a deep breath and slow down now. Everybody has time, another week anyway to get their offsets worked out. Daryle is aware that calls will be coming to discuss the offsets and he's there to help all he can.

Well done gentlemen, you make me proud, my efforts were not in vain.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I left a message for Daryle right now letting him know I would like the FX wheels in sizes 17x8 front and 17x11 rear. I will contact him first thing Monday morning and speak directly with him.

I think we all owe Coz a huge debt of gratitude for being such an awesome friend to us and getting us this great deal!

I'll be lifting a glass tonight for you Jim. Thanks again.

Happy New Years everyone!

Adam Katz
Regarding measurements for my Kodiak order...

I did the measurements as per David Bell’s suggestion and here’s what I came up with on my stock-bodied ’71:

My measurements for face of hub to inner fender lip (mine are not rolled) are:

Rear: 5.75 inches

Front: 4.25 inches

Using .5 inches for wheel-lip, .5 inches for tire-bulge and .75 inches for tire-to-fender clearance, I subtract a total of 1.75 inches from the hub-to-fender measurements and get frontspacing of:

Rear: 4.00 inches

Front: 2.50 inches

I’m going with 18 x 11 in the rear and 18 x 8.5 in the front, so my backspacing is:

Rear: 7.00 inches ( ie 11 minus 4 )

Front: 6.00 inches ( ie 8.5 minus 2.5)

Before I pass these measurements to Daryle, can anybody else with a stock bodied car offer their numbers for comparison to help boost my confidence that my wheels will actually fit.

Thanks,

Mike

(619) 804-3757
Are you saying that you are going to use 7" backspacing for the rears and 6" backspacing for the fronts? Eeker

That doesn't sound right to me at all.

I am going with 17x8 front with 4.75" backspacing and 17x11 rear with 6" backspacing on a narrow bodied stock '71.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeBecker:
Regarding measurements for my Kodiak order...

I did the measurements as per David Bell’s suggestion and here’s what I came up with on my stock-bodied ’71:

My measurements for face of hub to inner fender lip (mine are not rolled) are:

Rear: 5.75 inches

Front: 4.25 inches

Using .5 inches for wheel-lip, .5 inches for tire-bulge and .75 inches for tire-to-fender clearance, I subtract a total of 1.75 inches from the hub-to-fender measurements and get frontspacing of:

Rear: 4.00 inches

Front: 2.50 inches

I’m going with 18 x 11 in the rear and 18 x 8.5 in the front, so my backspacing is:

Rear: 7.00 inches ( ie 11 minus 4 )

Front: 6.00 inches ( ie 8.5 minus 2.5)

Before I pass these measurements to Daryle, can anybody else with a stock bodied car offer their numbers for comparison to help boost my confidence that my wheels will actually fit.

Thanks,

Mike

(619) 804-3757
Mike & all, my comments regarding wheels for "narrow body" Panteras;

With 18" wheels you'll most likely run 335/30R18 tires in the rear, with 17" wheels you'll run 335/35R17 tires, both tires are the same OD, which is about 26", so clearances should be the same, and if rubbing is not a consideration for one, it shouldn't be for the other.

However, wheel width is a consideration, the minimum wheel width for the 17" tire is 11", but for the 18" tire it is 12".

You'll want a front tire between 24" & 25" OD, in 17" you commonly see 245/40R17, and alternatives are 235/45R17 or 235/40R17. I think the 245 tire works better with 9" wide wheels, the 235 tires work better with 8" wide wheels. The selection is more limited for 18" wheels. Pirelli sells 235/35R18 and 245/35R18. There are no choices that fall within those diameters in the Michelin Pilot Sport, you'll end up with a tire a bit larger in diameter than 25". Which is why I recommend 17" front wheels. A lot of owners feel the staggered wheel diameters look better.

I have a '74 L with factory rolled front fender edges. My modular wheels are an older set of Etoile model 455s, sold by one of the vendors, I have no idea which one. The wheels were supplied by Kinesis. The wheel dimensions are as follows:

Front 17" x 9", back spacing 5 1/4"

Rear 17" x 11", back spacing 6"

In both cases, my brake rotors are mounted in the oem location, behind the hubs. Everything fits & works properly, one of the front tires just barely rubs the inner tire well when the wheel is turned full extreme. I had to remove the big steel box in the right front fender well that encloses the windshield wiper motor and fabricate a smaller one, as the right front tire rubbed it too frequently when I purchased the car.

Your friend on the DTBB, George
Last edited by George P
Happy New Year Mark!

Its a 245/40ZR17 Dunlop, can't remember what the model is off the top of my balding head, SP8000 maybe. The tires were on the car when I purchased it, Dunlops are not what I would have chosen, but they're OK. I drove the car in heavy rain just before Christmas and had no problems with hydro-planing at 70 mph.

Your friend on the DTBB, George
I just checked with Daryle about the wheel center caps. He says that some are having the inside of the hub machined to accept the stock blue/white deTomaso center. That might work with the rear but at least on my car not the front. The spindle is over 2 " long and would protrude beyond the center of the wheel cap. He says the forged centers are really no more that 1.5- 1.75 inch depth. But for a small fee he would make new caps for those who ordered them. He asked that I put this on the BB and see what others plans were. He also suggested I ask if Nathan Weber has the original plans for those center caps that Coz and the other have. He can make caps off those plans. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David Martin
Daryle says he is still waiting for spec sheets from quite a few people and he will not make the wheels until he has every single one complete. He wants to make all the wheels at the same time. It's the only way it is cost effective for him since he is giving us such a great discount. It would cost alot more if he made the wheels one at a time. So.... if anyone is taking their time it's time to get it done ASAP for the group! Thanks guys Smiler
John,
I thought it was closer to around 145.00 with the set up for the 6 caps.
I've traveled at least 10,000 miles with mine and haven't lost one yet....

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyAlki:
I have the same center caps that Coz does. I think we all paid $120 for six of them. This included shipping. We opted to get 6 so we would have a spare or two in case something happened. I have been on a 400 mile trip and a 300 mile trip plus a lot of other driving. The caps are still firmly attached.

John
David,

I bought my car to drive it. I bought it in Houston and drove it home to Seattle. I drove it to Vegas and back and am going to try and talk the wife into giving me an extended weekend pass to go to Monterey this year.

re the caps, Nate Weber designed them and sourced them for us. Daryle at kodiak should have info on this. Give him a call.

John
I guess I just dont yet have enough confidence in a 30 y/o car that I feel I can go outside a 60 minute radius of my town. I hate calling for help. If it was a chevy who cares but nobody should see the Pantera broke down.

I was speaking about Daryle at Kodiak. He was asking about the plans. How do I get in touch with Nate Weber?
Thanks,
David
Guys,

In reply to a previous post, I have to apologize, I'm one of those that Daryle is waiting for final specs from. I'll get the measurements done this weekend as Daryle was fairly insistent I went through the whole exercise to double check, rather than just use Coz's previous specs.

It's just been a heck of a week, we caught some severe rain over New Year in Reno, which ended up with the Truckee river flooding and our office buliding under a foot of water, but no more excuses I'll get it done the weekend.

Julian
So, regarding the center caps...

Here's a link to a couple of pictures of the custom made Nate Weber caps, I copied these pix onto the SDP Site, from another post on the PIBB (click on the thumbnail image to see a large picture)...

http://www.sandiegopanteras.com/downloads.htm

They look pretty nice. There was a previous post saying that Daryle could fab the centers if he had the design specs that Nate made up. Does anyone have Nate's contact info so we can see about getting those designs to Daryle?
Mike
I also sent email to everyone (I think), but just in case there's anyone who watches this BB and not their email...

I just spoke to Daryle. Here’s the status.

-They are trying to get all wheels completed and shipped by the end of this month.

-The Center caps are $34 each.

-The Isis logo on the center cap is optional and FREE

-The center caps will not be manufactured until after all the wheels are done

If you want center caps, you need to send an email to sales@kodiakmotorsports.com Make sure you give your actual name (in case your email address isn’t obvious) and specify whether or not you want the caps engraved with the Isis. Daryle already has you credit card info, except for those of you that sent a check. If you sent a check for your wheels, you’ll need to make arrangements for cap payment.

Let the ordering commence.

Mike
I just talked to Daryle to confirm a change I faxed to him and he realized that just the logo cap and "c" spring I sent him won't work on the front to clear the wheel bearing, so we must go with the center cap he is making if you want a cap at all, so i'm in for a set of four with logo engraved. I'm sure Robert Sthur here in hawaii is in for it as well, but I will confirm today with him and let you know.
Thanks Mike for spear heading this! Smiler Big Grin
Emery
Link copied to your clipboard.