Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If that is the new DeTomaso Pantera, I'm not very impressed. The car in the video looked ok, but not that great. Actually, the original body design by Tjaarda looked better IMO. That car may in fact not be the new Pantera, because I saw some photos when the factory first announced last month the unveiling of the new Pantera at this Nov. L.A. Auto show, and it looked much different and much better than whatever was in this video.

Whatever this new Pantera is going to look like, for those of you that have an extra $400,000.00 in your wallet, it can be yours.

David
Very disappointed. Just another Lambo like clone. Maybe just their body plopped on a Gallardo platform ?

Absolutely zero compliment to the car it will be named after.If they are going to do that . Put the Panthera body on it. A far better looking car with a real heritage look.

Please tell me again why the new owners spent the money to acquire DT ? If they make no attempt to connect to the company's past why buy the name ?

I should have known after seeing that bastardized new logo , and the pathetic Deauville.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Panthera
Last edited by Pantera 3rd&Last
It is rumored that the underlying car is an existing car, like a Mosler-type hyper-exotic that they have rebodied. It is Euro-sourced. It may have a 12 cylinder in it. It is more race car than street car. It was traditional in the past that the factory did not share information with the enthusiast media. Information was received by rumor only or after reading other media reports. This long-held tradition is apparently continuing. The owners of the old cars as we have been referred to are definitely out of the information loop.
quote:
Originally posted by Whiplash:
It is rumored that the underlying car is an existing car, like a Mosler-type hyper-exotic that they have rebodied. It is Euro-sourced. It may have a 12 cylinder in it. It is more race car than street car. It was traditional in the past that the factory did not share information with the enthusiast media. Information was received by rumor only or after reading other media reports. This long-held tradition is apparently continuing. The owners of the old cars as we have been referred to are definitely out of the information loop.

Out of the information loop!
And if the price is up around $400.000? That will keep many of us (old Pantera owners) out of the Buying loop also!
All Auto makers try to conceal the new body style of a car for as long as humanly possible. The reason is simple. If the new body design is seen by the public, it kills the sales of the existing cars at the dealerships with a body design that is about to be outdated. I get that.

But with the DeTomaso, there hasn't been a sports car coming out of their factory in 20 yrs. I doubt their premature unveiling of the new Pantera will hurt sales of the Pantera SI. lol. So why keep things under wraps? Maybe they are still working on the final touches?

I am sure it will be a nice car. But it doesn't look spectacular from the video, just kind of nice. As others have already said, I would have liked to see the car be a modernized version of the original. Oh well. On the other hand, it is nice to see the DeTomaso brand is being revived. I just wonder with their somewhat dull looking sedan that costs a bundle and a less then spectacular looking sports car priced in the stratasphere, if they will be able to make a go of it?

And yes, I did read somewhere that the DeTomoso factory spokesman said their new sports car will cost around 250,000 Euro. Which translates to around $400,000.00

David
quote:
I think DeTomaso should have partnered with Ford to re-body the Ford GT with a next generation Pantera body rendered in aluminum, which the new owners specialize in fabricating. Having a 400K modern Pantera will make our $30K Panteras look like a bargain, which in reality, they truly are.

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Ford in a better economy would. Call it a Ford Cougar GTS and PO DT.
quote:
should have partnered with Ford to re-body the Ford GT

I was leafing through the June Road & Track the other day and it had 3 potential designs for the next GT and talked about how they might be sold through Lincoln dealerships. It went on to say something like 'you might think it strange to sell a sports car through Lincoln, but Ford has tried this before with the Pantera...' it then quickly dismissed the Pantera with a flippant remark like '...which suffered from quality problems.'

As for the car in this video, it made me think R8 crossed with a Lambo.
quote:
It was traditional in the past that the factory did not share information with the enthusiast media. Information was received by rumor only or after reading other media reports. This long-held tradition is apparently continuing. The owners of the old cars as we have been referred to are definitely out of the information loop.

But hey guys you need to remember that the vintage Mustang clubs are the ones that saved the brand, otherwise the Probe would have been the 1994 Mustang.

quote:
I think DeTomaso should have partnered with Ford to re-body the Ford GT with a next generation Pantera body rendered in aluminum, which the new owners specialize in fabricating. Having a 400K modern Pantera will make our $30K Panteras look like a bargain, which in reality, they truly are.
¨

Ford has all but canned any projects in that category of vehicles, there were a few others in the tube, but the market crash has all but destroyed that. Chrysler is the only N.Am manufacturer to have a supercar in the plans (2013 Viper) but no news on that project for a while now.

Denis
Theres probably a snowball's chance in hell that Ford would allow use of the Ford GT platform anyway for the Pantera but I wonder if the new owner of the De Tomaso brand even approached Ford or offered to buy the tooling? It would definitely be a nice platform for the Pantera and it would be very roomy inside Smiler

Oh well, one can only dream.
The car is quite promising. For one, it exists!! Secondly, it sounds great and looks like it can move. I am certain that the tail light treatment is a mock up to throw people off. Additionally, the rear of the car (engine compartment) looks very Pantera like, look at it again. This is definitely not the finished product. I for one am glad on many levels, especially since it does not have a high pitched whiney F car sound but rather something more ominous. $400k is waaaay too much though. Add some script under the door, flares and a wing and you've got a winner.
Wow, those spy shots of the new Lotus sure share a lot of similarities to the 'new Pantera' spy shots, but of course it can't be, "...Pricing for the 2010 Lotus Esprit is expected to be around $125,000" but in this discussion, the Pantera is to be $400,000, so obviously two completely different cars. Besides, the Lotus has white blotches all over it, nothing like the Pantera!

Wink
Link copied to your clipboard.