Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When you find one, buy two.

You don't want to burn up your ZF clutch packs by running significantly different diameter tires on the rear.

Or you can run 8" Rears, and 7" fronts, so you can move the rear to the front in case one blows.

Rocky

PS> This was a regular tire explosion, not a spare.... But scary to look at....

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_4125_(Medium)
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:
I guess 10 year old "Eldorado Legend GTs" sometimes don't cut the mustard.

From Grade School -

"Ride, boldly ride, the shade replied,
If you search for Eldorado!"

What do you want from ja-bonga tires?

The inflatable spare matches the od of the rear, not the front.

That tire probably took out a couple of rattlers when it went huh?
It wasn't mine, but it left some carnage in it's wake!

When that baby blew out on the high bank at Monza, all those dudes (Hamilton, Roseberg, Senna, Lauda, Moss and Fangio) were scrambling to deconflict! Riggazoni and Iyxx were luckily in the pits. You may have seen it on Wide World of Sports!

Luckily only delay and nothing more serious.

I didn't know the space saver spare puffed up to the full 26 1/2" diameter (or whatever it officially is). You learn something new around here every day.

Rocky

P.S. You know a dealer for Ja-Bongas? They are in short supply out here in the Southwest! Let me tell you about the 2006 Ford GT that showed up at the Tubac show. He was proud he got a pair of rear tires off eBay for $150 each! Why pay those high prices! True story.
Last edited by rocky
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:
It wasn't mine, but it left some carnage in it's wake!

When that baby blew out on the high bank at Monza, all those dudes (Hamilton, Roseberg, Senna, Lauda, Moss and Fangio) were scrambling to deconfliction! Riggazoni and Iyxx were luckily in the pits. You may have seen it on Wide World of Sports!

Luckily only delay and nothing more serious.

I didn't know the space saver spare puffed up to the full 26 1/2" diameter (or whatever it officially is). You learn something new around here every day.

Rocky

P.S. You know a dealer for Ja-Bongas? They are in short supply out here in the Southwest! Let me tell you about the 2006 Ford GT that showed up at the Tubac show. He was proud he got a pair of rear tires off eBay for $150 each! Why pay those high prices! True story.

Everywhere I go I hear the ja-bongas. You just stand along the roadside and you hear the cars going down the street. Ja-bong, ja-bong, ja-bong. They're all over the place? Eeker
Good question. I don't know.

I would think yes simply because of clearance on a 14" wheel and the disc brake calipers?

You could, just for the heck of it, mount the space saver wheel on the Pantera and see if the wheel clears the brake calipers?

Since this is all such ancient history and few if any have ever used them, they tend to be just for "Concourse" cars and as a result just for display.

The Mustang people are identifying different units for different applications such as Boss 429 specific, etc.

The GM people had them also.

More research on this is necessary by me but if none are manufactured now then it is going nowhere anyway?

In the case of the Pantera, I am very sure that the steel wheel used was a Mustang wheel and added to the car here in the US.

Here is one from a Porsche that is 15".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsch...AOSw0JpV529t&vxp=mtr
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Borruso:
I believe the Stang pieces were 14"

I'll mount one up this weekend and let you know...

Thanks. In all the years I had the spare (sold it) I never mounted it up to check for anything?

The rear won't be any kind of problem I'm sure but I would want to see how close the front Girlings come to the inside of the rim.

Good info to know?
Sorry, my mistake I wasn't thinking straight. 68 Shelby's and the 15" Kelsey Hayes steel wheel spares I was talking about were full size tires not space savers. As far as I know though 69/70 Shelby's used 15" space savers not sure, how many other Fords used them. The space saver that came with my Pantera is a 14". I am not sure if its the original one or not, but I think so.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.