Skip to main content

I ahve been looking at 18" wheels for quite a while for my GT5S and have just seen those sold by Wilkinson Pantera. They are the closest in appearance to the original "dished" wheel on the car. Does anyone know about them and how much heavier than the factory wheel are they.
Stephen

------------------
S Burke
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Stephen;

Goram Malmberg wrote an intersting piece on the disadvantages of various aftermarket wheels, versus factory magnesium Campagnolos in the PI magazine a while back, check it out!. Both forged and billet wheel and tire combinations are, as I remember, about twice as heavy as the Campy's with tire.

What has been lost on many Pantera owners is that this weight differential has meaningful consequences on shock performance, spring function, rebound time and unsprung weight issues and measureable undesireable consequences to handling. Knowing this, I elected that the smartest thing to do would be to "pay up" for original size tires despite their cost, and the trouble finding them.. If you can you might want to also.

However, as the supply of 15" tires is extremely limited and practically non existant, the new wheels have become a defacto necessity for all of us in the future and unless a factory produces a run for us. The problem is that by the time they do, so many will have made the switch that the run will likely be counter productive because we will all have 16" to 18" wheels by then and won't buy the 15" tires.

Also if you switch to aftermarket wheels you must go through a full tilt boogie four wheel alignment setting the ride height first. You should consider getting a caster range max of five degrees to balance steering loads. Your stock suspension will not provide it, so, you'll have to get your A arms modified. Call Pat Michal at Performance Automotive in chelmsford, MA for that. So, now with 3k plus in A arm mods, 1K+ in new properly valved shocks and correct spring rates for your application, and probably $400 in a time consuming 4 wheel alignment (multiple test rides before locking it up) you'll be $4,400 out of pocket in addition to the wheels and tires.
However, it is the only properly engineered way to make your car handle as it should.

[This message has been edited by phill1 (edited 10-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by phill1 (edited 10-08-2003).]
STEPHEN--I PURCHASED 18 INCH PANTERA EAST WHEEL AND TIRE COMBINATION FOR MY 89 GT5S AND WOULD CAUTION ANYONE ELSE FROM DOING THE SAME. UNLESS YOU BUY FROM A MAJOR WHEEL SUPPLIER SUCH AS BBS OR OTHERS FUTURE INDIVIDUAL WHEEL NEEDS RESULTING FROM DEFECTS OR DAMAGE MAY PROVE UNAVAILABLE.
JIM-- WHEN YOU HAVE NEW 13 INCH WIDE WHEELS ON REAR AND 11'S ON FRONT AND ONLY NEED REPLACEMENT OF ONE BAD WHEEL AND YOUR SINGLE SOURCE SUPPLIER TELLS YOU HE HAS NONE AND MAY NOT MAKE ANYMORE THE PROBLEM BECOMES CRITICAL. THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. I HAVE MANAGED TO ACCOMPLISH REPAIRS BUT WOULD ONLY PURCHASE FUTURE WHEELS FROM A MAJOR WHEEL MANUFACTURER.

ALL IS OK NOW BUT NO THANKS TO THE VENDOR.
quote:
Originally posted by GUTS:
STEPHEN--I PURCHASED 18 INCH PANTERA EAST WHEEL AND TIRE COMBINATION FOR MY 89 GT5S AND WOULD CAUTION ANYONE ELSE FROM DOING THE SAME. UNLESS YOU BUY FROM A MAJOR WHEEL SUPPLIER SUCH AS BBS OR OTHERS FUTURE INDIVIDUAL WHEEL NEEDS RESULTING FROM DEFECTS OR DAMAGE MAY PROVE UNAVAILABLE.

Thanks for the advice, the only reason I would buy wheels is because the front tyres are not available for the GT5S and the wheel sold by Wilkinson Panteras is the only one that is dished inwards like the original mag wheel, Those from Pantera East and Hall are flat faced which I dont like, prefer to keep my car as close to orignal as possible, unsprung weight worries me however. Any aluminium rim is going to be heavier than the fctory magnesium one but I cant find out by how much?
quote:
Originally posted by stephen:
Thanks for the advice, the only reason I would buy wheels is because the front tyres are not available for the GT5S and the wheel sold by Wilkinson Panteras is the only one that is dished inwards like the original mag wheel, Those from Pantera East and Hall are flat faced which I dont like, prefer to keep my car as close to orignal as possible, unsprung weight worries me however. Any aluminium rim is going to be heavier than the fctory magnesium one but I cant find out by how much?

I think PE has the wheels you are looking for. Try giving him a call.

Mike

[This message has been edited by www.PanteraPlace.com (edited 10-08-2003).]
Both front and rear tires are available for the GT5S. Tire Rack have the rears 345 x 35 x 15. I think the Swedish club have a small supply of the fronts and apparantly some fronts are being manufactured, Phil Stebbings has the details on this. Send him a fax to register your interest (UK) 01903 893870, he will let you know when and where the fronts will be available. Hope this helps.
I ahve secured some yokohama fronts, a batch of 1000 have been made and the UK Club have 30 booked, all spoken for now I believe but they are trying for more, The rears are widely available, I just wanted to secure some fronts, puts an end to my need to buy 17" rims thankfully.
Stephen
Yes, wheel-weight is certainly a problem espc.running wide tyres.I weighed my rear 345/35 x 15 P7 on a Split Compomotive 3 piece spun ally.rim (15x12inch)& was delighted to find it weighed in at almost 8 lbs.lighter than the equifilent sized 17 inch. aftermarket rim of a freind of mines Pantera Gt5.The downside is that being a 3-piece rim no matter how carefully you seal the rim before fitting tyre, it will leak on you. However,I check my pressures regualary anyway so its not too much of a concern.
I wonder what a 13x 15 rim and 345/35 P7 Campy would weigh ? Anyone know,-I am sure not much less than the Split Compomotive & at a good price. Plus if you go'farming'on TrackDay and ding the rims you need only to replace the severely damaged section or sections,true it all up,balance & away you go.......I once had to buy a 13x 15 Campy & we all know it aint cheap.
Why are you guys in the USA battlling to find 15 tyres ? Ive bought around 6 sets over the recent years (one set very recently)and have never had a problem finding P7's - 225/50 on a 8inch rim & 345/35 x15 on my 15x12 in back, this is on my present Grp.4 Replica without the Grp.4 wheel arches,as I prefer the 'skinny-body'look,-the rear tyre sticks out a bit, but looks great anyhow, but this combination I have also used on my old GT5 with the flares, although a 285/40 P7 fills the frt.flares better,-the car handled better over the'tram-lines'with the smaller 225/50's however, but most people will not like the look. Look-wise the best combo I ve tried on my GT5 was 285/40 front on 10inch Campy's & a intermediate Firestone SS racing/street tyre on a 13x15 Campy which filled out the rear arches perfectly with no fouling and great handling,- even in the wet. ...well, almost great.
Cheers, tai
Does anyone have an e-mail address for this contact for the front tires ?
Thanks.
Coz

I think the Swedish club have a small supply of the fronts and apparantly some fronts are being manufactured, Phil Stebbings has the details on this. Send him a fax to register your interest (UK) 01903 893870, he will let you know when and where the fronts will be available. Hope this helps.[/B][/QUOTE]
quote:
Originally posted by Cozman:
Does anyone have an e-mail address for this contact for the front tires ?
Thanks.
Coz

Try Kjell Jansson at detomaso@sverige.nu, or alternatively at Kjell.Jansson@detomaso.se

He said that he's ordered 20 tires, and if he knows that they are destined for outside of Sweden he doesn't have to pay import duties...

------------------
Charlie McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/gt5s_1985
Hi Stephen & Rich.
I have been away,but asked my missus to link you up with Ron mccall....(hope you dont mind Ron.....if you read this missive.)
Ron has 3 x pics of my present GRP.4 Replica which has the 'skinny' body with the light-weight Split Compomotives & correct GRP.4 trick-bits I spoke of,(took me 6 mths.just to find the right heads & carburation..)and with 8x15(225/50 P7's) & 12x 15(345/35's)fitted,which I think looks great and yes,i dont want to touch this very orginal,totally rust-free,- (Nothing rusts here in the Transvaal--its very dry in Johannesburg )-body. The look Stephen is talking about & that I mentioned in my first posting;on my GT5 with flares etc.using the same 225/50 x 15 but on the orginal Campy 15x10 (frt.)rim and in the rear,the Super-Sport, Road racing Firestone Intermidiate on the Campy 13x 15. This tyre being much taller and wider,(I was running what they call the "Le Mans" gears in the ZF,)-than the 345/50 P7,filled the rear arches beatifully & raised the back a nats., giving me a bit more top-end, which incidentely,-the top-end was accieved without the big wing, but thats another story. Anyhow,-sorry to go on,-but I have now found 3x nice pics of this old GT5 of mine,(I bought in '84) which is apparentely for sale at present. I can find out the details if anyone is interested in a car we know the history of and is a solid, unmolested, rust-free beauty.......
Anyhow I can forward these pics also to you Rich & Stepen if you wish....to see the combination of my choice for the wide bodied GT5....Remeber that these pics have the smaller, but INMHO the best handling package I have tried with this car;- the 225/50 on the 10x15 Campy frt. This is a stretch over the 10inch.rim as you will see on the pics but I wasnt into looks then,- mostly handeling.....( this car by the way came second in a serious 'cone-racing'-Moto-Course Championship running against one of the very quick Porshe RSR's here in JHB., also, came second to my mates twin-turbo +-750bhp.GT5 at the Welcome Raceway TopEnd Day, many years back. The Twin-Turbo was timed at 317Klms.before the boost distorted the ally.-pleninum box feeding the 4-barrel,causing the carb-spindle to jam up.)-Enough allready! -Cheers,tai
Link copied to your clipboard.