Skip to main content

1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car
> After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates the F-88 was reassembled.
In 1954 the F-88 was a Motorama Dream Car and was one of only two or an unconfirmed possible three ever created. The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona for an unbelievable $3,240,000. This acquisition made automotive history and is the "cornerstone" of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum in its own special room in a rotating display worthy of the F-88!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/veh...le-F-88-Concept.aspx

Attachments

Images (9)
  • mime-attachment_8
  • mime-attachment
  • mime-attachment_1
  • mime-attachment_2
  • mime-attachment_3
  • mime-attachment_4
  • mime-attachment_5
  • mime-attachment_6
  • mime-attachment_7
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I remember watching this auction at Barrett-Jackson on TV. The eventual owner was in a bidding war with another guy. Both absolutely refused to lose out on this one of a kind automobile. The new owner was so steadfast about wanting the car he actually opened the door and took a seat in it! It was pretty incredible to watch and helped make Barrett-Jackson what it is today.
Thank you for showing us this car. As a youth, my father took me to the GM Autorama in Spokane, WA where we lived. It was set-up in large tents and they had those amazing Autorama buses parked outside which looked like something from outer space. Every car was incredible in the show, especially the Corvette, the Nomad-like Corvette and some Cadillacs, which I remember. Alas! my father was a confirmed MoPar Man and we had a '53 Chrysler New Yorker which he thought was much better than the GM cars displayed. Tom Tjaarda also played his hand at the BJ Auction when his one-off Corvette sold for around half of the F-88.
Is there anybody in this community that went to the GM Autorama and can still remember it?
Dave
quote:
had those amazing Autorama buses parked outside which looked like something from outer space

Never got to see those in there heyday Im to young. I have seen the Futureliners at the 28th street cruise in Grand Rapids. As a matter of fact one will be in Grand rapids this weekend for the cruise.
That Olds is simply gorgeous.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.