Skip to main content

More Ford history, enjoy.

For use at Indy in 1963, Ford prepared a special version of the recently introduced 260 CID engine (small block Windsor V8). In stock form this engine produced 157 BHP. After an extensive series of modifications, the final engine displaced 255 CI and produced 376 BHP with good durability. Many parts were replaced with aluminum or magnesium to trim the weight down to 350 lbs. While impressive for a hotrodded 260, successful competition at Indy in 1964 was simply going to require more horsepower. And to do this, the breathing of the engine had to be improved.

For 1964 a dual overhead cam version of the engine was produced. The block was cast of aluminum alloy, using patterns modified from the production 289. Cast iron cylinder sleeves were a shrink fit in the block, and were sealed at the heads with copper laminated steel O-rings. In order to clear the two banks of camshafts in the heads, the 10 attaching studs were moved in closer to the cylinder centerline. An additional 8 studs protuding from the heads maintained the clamping force needed to seal the combustion chambers. The space occupied by the camshaft in the normal production engine was replaced with an oil tube. This acted as a gutter and collected oil as it drained from above to keep it off the reciprocating assembly.

The bottom end was beefed up considerably. The special forged steel crankshaft was held by 4-bolt bearing caps on numbers 1 through 4. Main and rod bearing journals are the same size as the 289, as is the engine's stroke - 2.87". The rod journals are crossdrilled for better oiling at high engine speeds. The rods are from the 289 HiPo, having been modified for floating pistons pins. The pins are 289 HiPo pieces. The oil pan is cast magnesium and is a structural part of the engine as is common in Indy and Formula car design. Ears cast intregrally with the pan provide the engine mounting points in the chassis.

The cam-ground forged aluminum pistons have a pent-roof dome to closely fit the combustion chambers. Compression is 12.5:1. The cylinder heads used 4 valves per cylinder with a central spark plug location. The plugs are canted toward the 1.64" diameter intake valves. Exhaust valves are 1.36" diameter. The camshafts run in bearing bores in the cylinder heads, directly over their valve banks. Valve clearance is adjusted by the selective fitting of the followers. Intake ports are between the cams, with exhaust out the top of the heads between the vee. This was done to do away with the nightmare of exhaust tubing normally required. Hilborn injection is used having been selected for its light weight and simple low-pressure design.

The complete 255 CID engine weighed 406 lbs. and produced in excess of 425 BHP at 8000 RPM while giving a fuel economy of 7 to 8 MPG. Maximum speed is 9000 RPM while the minimum useful speed on the racetrack is around 6000 RPM.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1964_Indy_DOHC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Heck. I guess I could run without a screen. So you say that fella wants $3500 for it?? What do you think George?? Is it worth that much?? Seems pretty resonable. I bet it sounds real nice up around 9000 rpm too. And pipes sticking out the back shouldn't bother me that much.
OK Dennis, you talked me into it. My wife will kill me being as I have a perfectly good engine in the car, but I gotta have an engine that will turn 9000 RPM.
DeTom,

An engine like that is for somebody building a show car, no parts available, wouldn't be of use to somebody who actually wants to drive the thing.

It is basically the grandpa of the 4.6 cammer motor. You would be better off buying the cammer. You could also pick up a 427 SOHC cammer for the same money, at least it would have parts available.

The motor you need DeTom is a Ford/Cosworth DFV. It has a single plane crankshaft, so the exhaust will make that whine you love to hear.

Dennis, you mentioned the Long Beach swap meet, I once lived just east of the Veterans Memorial Stadium, where the swap meet is held. Brings back memories of my younger days. I haven't been to that swap meet since 1988. Folks referred to me as Mr Mustang back then.

I hope a few of you find this stuff interesting. It takes time to dig around the internet & find this stuff. That's why I post these little trivia things, to stir up some conversation, keep people interested in the bulletin board. I love history. I figure the folks who don't know any of this Ford & automobile history might find this stuff fun to read. DeTom, you're always good for a wry comment or two. Thanks my friend.

Dennis, I love your new avatar!

your friend on the DTBB, George
quote:
The motor you need DeTom is a Ford/Cosworth DFV.

COOL. I bet it sounds exactly like a formula one car. Where do you buy these things at?? ARe they in the FRPP catalog?? Are they like a crate motor deal you buy from a vendor?? Are they under five grand in price?? Are they all chrome and shiney looking?? Enquireing minds need to know.
Always trying to answer my friend's questions:

quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
COOL. I bet it sounds exactly like a formula one car. DeTom, the Cosworth DFV IS a former Formula 1 motor!

Where do you buy these things at?? you buy them here:

http://www.tgpf1.com/carmarket49.htm

ARe they in the FRPP catalog?? sorry, no

Are they like a crate motor deal you buy from a vendor??
you buy them from a race team, used, but normally rebuilt & ready to race

Are they under five grand in price?? one is listed at 75,000 Euros, another is listed for 48,000 pounds, another for 42,000 pounds and there is one listed at only 35,000 pounds! what a steal

Are they all chrome and shiney looking?? no DeTom, these are REAL race motors, they work for a living, the show car motors are shiny

Enquireing minds need to know.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Cosworth_DFV
Last edited by George P
Steve,

the internet is full of such sites, for instance:

http://usedracingparts.com/racing_parts_18.html

or:

http://www.voy.com/108635/

or:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/215649/

Type "used race parts" into your favorite search engine, I got 25 million results with Yahoo.

Race teams, race organizations, car clubs, large race tracks, owner clubs like ours, bulletin boards, etc normally all have a web site for owners to share information AND to buy & sell parts. There are vendors on e-bay who specialize in selling used NASCAR stuff. As a matter of fact, e-bay is a good place to start. That's where a lot of people purchase & sell their parts, including teams. You just have to be patient and wait for what you are looking for to go on auction at your price. Too many people buy stuff on e-bay above what they could purchase the stuff new, retail.

Link copied to your clipboard.