Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yup, I remember these.
There was alot of press about the car around '68-69.
When the Pantera was anounced AM concieded.

They claimed that they had no money to fund the project but in my heart I know it was Ford's announcement of the Pantera that killed it.

It isn't a bad looking monster either.

Not bad for a car from Indiana.

Are those wider wheels in the rear? copycats.
The AMC followers are a fickle group. They like to refer to the Pantera's as a cheap imitation and how they could of built a real mid engine car.

In my book they ignore a couple facts. One is the AMC had some problems. One major problems was 100mph was begining to bring daylight under the front wheels. Among several design problems the car was always "would have could have should have". That is not a car that was put into production so to me that has very little merrit. How many race car drivers which always finsh last say "would have could have should have".

Neat, interesting design. No way of really knowing what it could have been in production but the design was neat looking; despite the fact that it didn't work functionally.

Gary
A friend of mine in town owns the Yellow car and a 3/4 scale version of the AMX/3. The thing - in person - is undeniably gorgeous.

Too bad so many 'show' cars of the era weren't even half intended to make production. This one, however, came closer than most.

To me that's why the Pantera is so entertaining. It could've EASILY been squelched on the finanicial responsibility, or the difficulty to piece together, or the many 'unknowns' of the project... but it soldiered ahead. Yea to Ford for going against conventional "wisdom"! In a way, too bad AMC didn't.
Cool Car, but I think more than one new owner might have lost a rear decklid at speed from not getting it locked down good - kind of like towing a P-car backwards on an open trailer?? Didn't these cars originally come out with the 390 in them? Might well have given our P-cars some competition had they gone into production.
quote:
Originally posted by 1973UFO:
Cool Car, but I think more than one new owner might have lost a rear decklid at speed from not getting it locked down good - kind of like towing a P-car backwards on an open trailer?? Didn't these cars originally come out with the 390 in them? Might well have given our P-cars some competition had they gone into production.

The prototype back hatch on the Pantera also opened from the front.

Mike
Link copied to your clipboard.