Skip to main content

Can anyone give me some info if this is a true 1982 GT5?... The VIN # is: THPNZM09208.
This car is a Southeast florida car. Also what would be a fair price for the car? Here's some info on it. The side flares have been molded to the car, as well as the rear spoiler. Needs new seats. Every thing has been painted, including the front rubber bumper, the side gills, the grills, front and rear, the door handles, the rubber moldings. Engine is pretty stock. My concern is that it will be a bigger job to undo some of this mess, and bring the car back to it's beauty. The wheels front and rear are gold Campinola rims. Car still looks good even if it looks like it came off the Miami Vice show owned by some drug lord. I'm considering purchasing it. But would like some feedback.

------------------
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

George, all non-GT-5 or GT5-S cars sold in Europe were termed 'GTS'. Only the 138 1973-'74 GTS sold in the United States actually had 'GTS' in their serial number but none of the Euro cars did. This car is a std European Pantera, and as such, it badly needs a knowlegable expert to look critically at it, since many such did not have any rust-proofing, were 'driven hard & put away wet' as the cowboys used to say, with minimal service. In your area, one such expert is Marino Perna in the St Petersburg area (he also runs 'Pantera East' parts/service shop).. I'd bring a 'Bondo-meter' to the inspection and check all the known rust spots. As a 1980 (?) -model, it may have a 351W or an Australian 351C engine, a stronger dash-2-1/2 model ZF and a host of other factory additions common to later Panteras. Incidently, serial # 9200 is shown in the DeTomaso Roster as a 1984 car, and #9172 as a 1983 GTS.....so I'd also examine the build-date tag as well. Note that all the parts are available to restore this car, but it is not especially "collectible" IMHO.
George, where in Florida is the car actually located? Marino is in St. Pete, not exactly SE Florida but there are knowledgable friendly guys in Miami, W. Palm and the Fort Lauderdale area. Southeast Pantera president (for life) Dave Clark at ufmbagrad@earthlink.net can give you a list of people in your area.

Gary
I'd second the suggestion to bring an expert to help you look at the car. You may be able to get a great deal on a rare car, or you may be saddled with a money pit.

I'd be nervous of a complete paint job including door handles, etc - it may indicate that the car has some body issues so someone sprayed the whole car to make it "look pretty" for sale instead of doing a proper restoration.

Seats are easily repaired, and if the body is solid, then the paint is easily sorted out as well. The serial number is about right for it to be a real GT5, of which there are pretty darn few in the US, which adds to its value. Being a 1982 model it will have a 351C - the Windsors didn't come along until much later.

Summary - someone who really knows what they are doing ought to assess the car for you to see how the body, engine, and transmission are. It could be a diamond in the rough or a nightmare, and the price should reflect that.

------------------
Charlie McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/gt5s_1985
George, I bought my Pantera in 85 in Miami and lived in Lauderdale with my car until 1990. I used a mechanic named Steve who was one block off of Sunrise, Give me a day or 2 to see if I can remember his shop's name. He worked on all kinds of exotics and was a really good mechanic.
Again, I would recommend you get in touch with the SE pantera president Dave Clark at his above email address and find a local guy. Rodger "Guts" Gossage has owned several P cars and he is a great guy who lives in West Palm. The resources are there, you should use them.
Gary
Just beware George. I bought mine for 27, in Europe, brought it home and then began rebulding it. Believe me, it never ends.

And as you will find out, the cost for parts for a real GT5 are much more expensive than a normal Pantera since they are totally two different animals with respect to suspension and other parts you will need.

You need to look this car over very, very well and be sure of what your getting yourself into.

Get your check book ready.... :-))

quote:
Originally posted by george kazakian:
The car is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Any one close by that can give me advise would be helpful. The car is being sold for around $31,000. I'm not sure if it's a fair price or if like others have said a money pit.
Jack,

Your info re the Pantera Roster is interesting. Mine is #9203 and was purchased as a 1982. I have the orginal Certificato di Garanzia which identifies the car as GT5 Autotlaio 874/ L/THPNZU/09203 Motore 351/07240. How can I find out what year is was really built?

Here are some others from my list of VIN #s. Are these all wrong?

#9116 - 1979 Pantera GTS � Germany
#9178 � 1980 Pantera GT5 - Arizona
#9182 - 1981 Pantera GT5 - Atlanta
#9203 - 1982 Pantera GT5 - Canada
#9261 - 1983 Pantera GT5 - Norway
#9321 - 1984 Pantera GT5 - Sweden
#9365 - 1985 Pantera GT5 - Australia
#9375 - 1985 Pantera GT5-S - Spain
#9395 - 1985 Pantera GT5-S � Idaho
#9425 � 1986 Pantera GT5-S � Florida
#9444 - 1987 Pantera GT5-S - Maryland
#9491 - 1988 Pantera GT5-S � Florida
#9492 - 1989 Pantera GT5S - Florida
#9494 - 1989 Pantera GT5S � Florida

David http://www.canspanad.com/pantera
George, I know Dave put you in touch with a SE Pantera club member to help you out, I also looked through my papaerwork and found the name of the shop I used off Sunrise Blvd. Steve at Tropical Sports Cars is who did all of my mechanical work on the Pantera. Brakes, A/C, Clutch, suspension etc. etc. His number is 954-467-2142. If you call him tell him Gary Ford said hello, He might remember me I spent lots of $$$$ over the years with him. He works on exotics, Ferrari's Lambos, Alfa's and he always did a good job at a reasonable price.

Gary
Dave,
Bear in mind that DeTomaso did not always use vin numbers in sequential order of construction. Evidentally, sometimes a number was pulled for an order, the order was delayed or changed (standard Pantera to GT5) or cancelled and the car or another car may have been produced with a particular vin at a later time or year. Talk about disorganization!
DEEB-- IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION OF ACCURACY REGARDING YOUR VIN LIST. I ASSURE YOU YOUR GT5S LIST IS NEAR PERFECT. I OWN 9494 THE LAST CAR BUILT FOR NORTH AMERICA (AMERISPORT)YOU MAY WISH TO ADD TO YOUR LIST 9495 WHICH REMAINS UNFINISHED IN THE FACTORY AS A FUTURE MUSEUM PIECE AS REPORTED AND PHOTOGRAPHED LAST YEAR BY CHARLIE MCCALL. WHILE VIN NUMBERS TELL SOME OF THE STORY THEIR IMPORTANCE IS SUSPECT AND LIMITED. THERE WERE ASSERTIONS THAT SOME MANUFACTURERS ASSIGNED VIN'S TO GHOST CARS NEVER COMPLETED.THUS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE ITALIAN GOVERNMENTS EFFORT TO CREATE JOBS AND REDUCE CORPORATE TAXES
GEORGE--I HAVE BEEN A PANTERA OWNER SINCE 1972 THIS SOUNDS LIKE A CAR THAT LOCAL PERSONS HAVE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED AND WALKED AWAY FROM AT AN ASKING PRICE OF 25K. AS THE OLD SAYING GOES "BUYER BEWARE"

I DONT GIVE MECHANICAL OPINIONS HOWEVER IF YOU GET PAST THIS POINT I WOULD GIVE YOU MY OPINION OF WHAT I THINK ITS WORTH.
ROGER GOSSETT TEL 561 575-9843
Link copied to your clipboard.