Skip to main content

I have a 72 pre-L with a push in the frount end. But before I get into suspention. Just how bad is the flex of a stock body car in the rear. I have the stock shock brace in the rear. Has anyone ever made a brace that goes down to the uper shock bolt, and then up to the stock bolt- so it can not move up or down. then also bolt to the top and bottom of the trans bell housing. If so did this help with body flex or do you think the flex of the motor will create a new problem? Thanks # 3620 Todd
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The stock brace is utterly useless, since the bolt holes it attaches to, are slotted. IMHO the best unit around is Hall's cheap painted bracebar that jams into the two pockets, thus spreading the loads to the entire weldment rather than trying to use bolts to absorb it. Incidently, the backside of the two brace brackets ARE the upper shock mounts... All the other braces have too-short ends to jam in there. FYI, the front-end push was designed in by Ford who were terrified of the Pantera's potential for lawsuits. To minimize it, remove all the shock spacers, lower the steering rack about 5/16" to correct most of the bump-steer, run 8" rear wheels in front to remove most of the scrub radius mismatch & 245-50x 15" in front (with bigger rears also on 8" wheels). Use a 7/8" rear swaybar with the stock front bar. This, along with a good frt/rear alignment, will correct 90% of the push while not compromising ride etc. The type of brace-bar you describe is an extension of the cheap one I mentioned and it requires welding to install. You do NOT want to send suspension loads into the bellhousing, as it is cast aluminum; besides, the engine has rubber motor mounts so its not solid enough. Commercially available welded brace systems MAY prevent body-flex and subsequent paint cracking, but they are too new to have a long enough history to say so.
quote:
To minimize it, remove all the shock spacers, [/B]

Jack, what was the size of the original spacers? I'd like to duplicate that size on my car. Problem is, I've got Koni shocks with a 1" spacer on each end of the spring. I'm afraid if I take them both off, it may be too much.

Thanks,
Kevin
First, Konis aren't stock on Panteras. And since the OEM metal spacers were added by Ford to make the Pantera comply with the brand-new bumper-height and headlight-height laws, I suspect someone checked your car, found it too low so spacer(s) were added. Are both your spacers metal? There is a rubber dust cover that sits on top of the stock aluminum spacer, and that should be left alone as it protects the shock rod from flying rocks that might nick the exposed rod, which would then fail the shock seal. Remember, if you remove or change anything in the front suspension,realign the wheels and the headlights afterward.
quote:
Originally posted by jack deryke:
Are both your spacers metal?

Yes, they are both aluminum.

quote:
There is a rubber dust cover that sits on top of the stock aluminum spacer, and that should be left alone as it protects the shock rod from flying rocks that might nick the exposed rod, which would then fail the shock seal. [/B]

Neither spacer has a dust cover. Since I plan on removing only one spacer per shock, I'll remove the top spacer only to be safe. Thanks.
Link copied to your clipboard.