Skip to main content

Hi Guys,
I have 2 Michelin Pilot Sports that I wanted to use on my soon to be flared GT-5 conversion. I definately need new rear tires, but was wondering if anyone has used a tire as large as a 285/40x17 on the front on a 10" wheel with any problems. I don't have any wipers and the linkage & motor has already been removed so I could take the box off the right fender wheel for clearance. Whada ya think? Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Emery,
I am running 275x40x17's on the front of mine. 285's would be fine with my GT5 flares. And I still have my wipers, linkage and motor on the car.

I would be running the 285's but got a great deal on the 275's....So I bought them instead.

quote:
Originally posted by hawaii:
Hi Guys,
I have 2 Michelin Pilot Sports that I wanted to use on my soon to be flared GT-5 conversion. I definately need new rear tires, but was wondering if anyone has used a tire as large as a 285/40x17 on the front on a 10" wheel with any problems. I don't have any wipers and the linkage & motor has already been removed so I could take the box off the right fender wheel for clearance. Whada ya think? Smiler
You bet brother....You'll be fine....I had the same jitters when measuring and ordering mine.
But it all came together perfect....
You could just as easily call Daryle, have him look up my spec's and use them....
Besides, your going to have the advantage of fitting the flares after you already have the wheels Wink

quote:
Thanks Jim! Smiler
Mine is an factory GT5, they used Fiberglass flares. Personally, I think steel flares would have been a better choice. But that's just my opinion.

From all the GT4's I've seen, the only major difference I see in the one's people have done is the side skirts and some have the rivets showing where the flares are mounted compared to the GT5's.

I would think 10's and 13"s would be an idea set up on a GT4 as they are on the GT5.

I'm running:
10"-275 or 285x40x17"
13"-335 or 345/35x17"

quote:
Originally posted by accobra:
Coz,

Do you use fiberglass or steel ? Are the GT5 the same as GT4 less the body skirts below the doors ? I'm looking ot go with Steel GT4 flares but as you suggest I would like to get the flares but also would like a couple suggestions on tire and wheel sizes.

Ron
Could be, my understanding is that real factory GT4's ran 15 wide on the rears.
Rolland or Les Greg might know for sure.
Les Grey actually has a factory GT4.

quote:
I may be wrong but I heard GT-4 flares are about one inch wider than GT-5 flares. Can someone advise if that is true. Confused
I see the guys at Pantera East sell a wide body 17x11 Campy clone and state "RUN 285/40 FRONT TIRES (req's MINOR SPLACH SHIELD MODS)or RECOMMEND 275/35x17 FRONT (NO MODS REQ'D)" so maybe some mods are required for the 285 width tire. They also recommend factory spacers and lugs, so I don't know what width those would add to the set up...I'm hoping to get some info from them.

Ron; Did you eventually find a good source and price for the steel flares? If so please let me know, maybe we can get a group buy on flares too!! Big Grin I'm going to go through the same mods and buying the Kodiak wheels at 10" and 13" for GT4 flare addition. I figure, once I've spent that much on wheels it'll give me the incentive and courage I need to put the cutter to the body. Smiler
Link copied to your clipboard.