Skip to main content

I would like to get more informed about the 351 Cleveland vs the Windsor. What's the main difference between these two engines?

I have a '73 Pantera that I will be rebuilding. It has just over 78k on the odometer and even though it runs OK, I'm going to tear it down and rework it. If it becomes necessary to replace it, I would like to be up to speed on my options.

SteveFlier
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Replacing the original Cleveland engine will GREATLY reduce the value of your car. In answer to your question...

The Windsor and Cleveland blocks both have the same bore spacing, bore and stroke. The Windsor has a better oiling system and larger main bearing journals than the Cleveland. The larger journals do have more friction though. As for power, the Cleveland gets all that power from those heads with huge valves and ports. I would stick with the Cleveland. Of course you can modify those great heads to fit the Windsor. You'll need another intake and possibly longer push rods. Stay with the Cleveland!

[This message has been edited by Pantera1252 (edited 07-04-2002).]
There are a boat load of after market heads for a windsor motor that will out flow and out perform the cleveland head.There is also a far better selection of intakes and camshafts available.I personally like both motors .I run a cleveland in my P-car,but I had a 398"winsor in a 3100# mustang that ran the 1/4 mile in the 9's with/no nitrous,and through the exhaust.Winsor cylinder walls are stronger than the cleveland.I dont know what exhaust problems you would have w/the taller deck hight,but I'm sure there are headers available through the after market.
One other option would be a SVO block w/9.2"
deck higth and a set of after market heads like the Edelbrock Victor or Trick Flow twisted wedge-R.They make a ton of power when ported right.
Ron
Thanks for the info! I know there is a wealth of knowledge and experience out there.
I read an article about building the Cleveland to maximize its potential on the street. (PI mag #70) This article was written in '92 and I'm wondering if the suggested parts are still available: Holley 4778 carb, Performance MotorSport Cam 6250-A344, Edelbrock 2665 intake? The article also mentioned work with the Comp Cam 268, has anyone worked with this cam?
My P-car is mostly stock now, but I'm working on that. I would like to keep everything subtle, you know, nothing sticking out of the engine screen area. (Low profile killer machine!)
Anywho, thanks again!

SteveFlier
P.S. Can anyone tell me the paint number for that SUPER Bright Russo Red? That's in the plan, too.
The differences could fill pages. Approximately nothing is the same on the two motors except the displacement & block weight. 351C heads will fit on a 351W with some fiddling but other parts are necessary to make it work. The W has better oiling and slightly thicker cylinder walls, and is still being built while Cleveland stuff is getting very hard to locate. The Pantera bellhousing & motor mounts fit the W. This is not really a bolt-in swap unless you are well equipped & experienced, and not in a hurry.
Yup, there are plenty of overhaul parts for 351Cs available at most big-city engine shops, as well as reconditioned castings. The following are getting hard to find: early closed chamber heads, the 'turkey-roaster' oil deflector/intake gasket, stock-bore used blocks and most stock Boss stuff. In addition, aftermarket cam grinders have had recent problems due to a large batch of cam blanks made with the angle of the integral drive gear cut wrong. This causes the gear on your distributor to wear out in as little as 5 miles and spreads metal shavings throughout your engine. This is a real problem because of low demand for 351Cs so the blanks won't be used up quickly. The tooth angle variance is not easily detected by cam grinders, most of whom use the generic blanks to make their proprietory cams.
Link copied to your clipboard.