Skip to main content

Now here's a project that you don't want to do.

I like the GTS look and wanted my exhaust tips 1" from the bumper, so I adjusted the rubber hangers from the Ansa's all the way up. Guess what? They stretched 1/2" ovals in each hole. And one tore. As I said, I want my exhaust tips on my "L" Pantera to be 1" under my rear bumper like the GTS, so I concluded that I'd have to do a custom fab job....

So I got the biggest truck tire from the tire store that had 4 ply steel belts. I got the chain saw out and tried to cut it into 2" wide strips down the circumference, but it started smoking the chain saw real bad, like with sparks, etc. So the neighbor comes over and asks me what I'm building. He says he's got a Sawz-All I can use. So I get that tool onto my project and quickly burn out a few blades.... I have to drill holes at all the corners to get the blade going 90 degrees for my steel belted exhaust hangers, but eventually, like 2.5 hours later get it done, including a trip to the hardware store to buy him some replacement blades for his Mikita Sawz-All. So he comes over and sees how they are looking installed the next day and says "yep, those exhaust hangers will out live the car all-right, I had no idea those tires were so sturdily constructed." (Under statement, I'd say.) I had to de-burr the steel belt wires with my Dremel Moto-Tool and ruined a few of those little cut-off wheels in the process....

I kept thinking that I could have thrown a chain saw chain and really done some harm if he hadn't come over. But these exhaust hangers are not going to ever split and cause me a cracked header or exhaust pipe, and he and I both agree when we say never, we mean never. These are permanent replacements. Permanent means like the Grand Canyon, permanent. It was a project that only had to be done once.
Original Post
Link copied to your clipboard.