Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The rush of drag racing can only be felt on the track. The starting line is so sticky that it can pull your shoes off. On the street you just spin, but as you can see, the track "Hooks up" I will drive my Pantera 130 mph without fear, But I have a drag car that goes o to 100 in 6.75 seconds and it scares the crap out of me. Last time I drove it I threw up before I made my first pass from being nervous. But I overcame my fears and had a couple of decent reaction times.
John, I have never run the 1/4 mile. They tell me the rule is you can add 3 seconds to your 1/8 mile time. 6.75 my best et plus 3 sec. Is less than 10. Maybe I'm not adding enough? It really dosent matter 'cause if I'm scared of the eighth, I damn sure ain't holding down through no 1/4 mile! Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by lastpushbutton:
Now this is where we differ in opinion. My car got to 100 mph from a dead start in the first 1/8 and you say it will only pick up 20 mph in the second 1/8?

Yes.

Not really a difference of opinion. Given that nothing is out of the ordinary, a car that turns ~6.75 @ 100mph in the 1/8 mile is about an ~11:80 @ 120 mph car in the quarter, give or take a tenth or 2 and a mph or 2. I'll see if I can find a few representive time slips and post them..
quote:
Originally posted by jeff6559:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_fuel_dragster

The numbers are amazing.

Assuming 7000 hp, each cylinder generates 750 hp.

Assuming 4.5 sec quarter and 8000 rpm, each cylinder fires only 300 times.

Each cylinder is 62.5 cubic inches. Each time a cylinder fires, it consumes a little over .5 ounces of fuel. .5 ounce volumetrically is about .9 cubic inches.

I'm going to ask Dan Jones to check all of this out for me. He knows how to calculate the value of pi and delta.
Link copied to your clipboard.