Skip to main content

Hey all,

My car has been at Les Grays shop in Phoenix for a while now, and we have been waiting for this part for over 6 weeks now. I have been told it was not manufactured on time and they ran out, but some are being made and will be here sometime...no eta.

Wanted to know if anyone has this part, and if they would be willing to sell it to me. This is all I need to get my car buttoned back up and running.

As you can imagine, it is very frustating having this one little thing holding everything back. .

Thanks for any help!

Adam
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Adam,

This is not something that us owners are just going to stash away in the garage. As I understand, all the ZF bearings are proprietary to ZF and are not sourced from your local bearing supply house. I imagine that Les has searched with the other vendors that do ZF work to see if they have one. You might ask to make sure, but you may just be at the mercy of time.

There was a poster on this list a while back over in the UK I believe that did ZF work. Perhaps if you can search out those posts you could give him a try.

Good Luck,

Larry
It looks like the rear main support bearing on the main shaft.
RBT doesn't have this bearing?
The two most common bearings needed for this transmission and any transmission are going to be the input shaft front and rear bearings.
If they are no longer being made or there are no substitutes that is another major blow to this car.
The only way to get one will be to take one from another transmission. Wait, let me call the juke yard...yeh right!
Call this company .... Rockland Standard Gear Hillburn NY is a ZF dealer and they may have it sitting on a shelf... dont have the number. Also dont let them tell you the story that you cannot get the bearing ... only one thing be prepared to have the dimensions of the bearing in Millimeters. GENERAL BEARING CO is another source they have the bearings for the steering rack in stock. Also they had the rear wheel bearings for my Cobra in stock.

Ron

Ron
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
It looks like the rear main support bearing on the main shaft.
RBT doesn't have this bearing?
The two most common bearings needed for this transmission and any transmission are going to be the input shaft front and rear bearings.
If they are no longer being made or there are no substitutes that is another major blow to this car.
The only way to get one will be to take one from another transmission. Wait, let me call the juke yard...yeh right!

PD...they are making these bearings, they just didn't make enough and ran out. they had to start production back up and there is no eta on when they will be distributed to RBT.

accobra, I will try that co. Thanks.

Adam
Hey accobra, I called Rockland Standard Gear, but they told me that they only sell their bearing sets for the ZF in a "complete" package. I told them it was for a 5DS-25-2 transaxle, they had no idea what it was "is that from a Corvette?", they asked me. When I stated it was for a Detomaso Pantera they had no idea what i was talking about Roll Eyes

Also called General bearing co, just to see. They didn't know what a ZF was Confused and said they could not help me.

Oh well, looks like I will have to be patient and see when Lloyd gets them. Big Grin

Thanks for the help, though. Wink
The bearings all have numbers on the side and can be cross referenced or comapred to an equal as I said most are cross referenced in MM's ... Rockland standard gear is an authorized ZF dealer ..... but they are mass producing rebuilt ZF transmissions and had no time for my ZF. It sat in there shop for a month and I picked it up. I have rebuilt many transmittions including 12 & 18 speed Roadrangers for Big Rigs ... I just dont have the time ... but I guess in this case I will find the time. I cleaned a spot in my garage for a table and I'm going to do it myself.

Both General Bearing is a bearing manufacturer ... they dont know where their bearings go ??? they could care less ... call them or call any bearing place enar your house with the little number on the side of the bearing and it can be cross ref.

The trick is dont tell them its for a special trans and you cant find it anywhere.

There is another little bearing supplier near my house that sold me General bearings for many other applications over the years. He is a very patient old man ... who loves the challenge.

Ron
Link copied to your clipboard.