Skip to main content

I am slow as a turtle but I am moving. First things first. Made some engine stands this weekend to move around the engines. I am begining to cut up some steel to fab new engine mounts for the 400/434. The embosment is there for the old mounts but it's not drilled-n-tapped. It could have been done before the engine was built but a little of the 400 mount would have to be shaved off. Won't be too hard to make a 400 mount:

Gary
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by LF - TP 2511:
Gary,

Please tell us about your bellhousing/adapter.

Looks to be a dash-1 ZF, but not the stock bellhousing?

Larry (not too bright on the Dash-1 units)

Well the 400 is still a 335 serries engine but it has a 460 bellhousing. I ask about a 400 adapter about a year ago and some one on the forum had one. No one knows the source. There are no markings on it!

G
Gary, I notice you have the single rear trans mount. That is the one that got loose and broke a stud off in my trans. I scrapped mine because of the poor design. Then bought a set of fabricated mounts that bolt to the sides of the ZF and mount behind the rear swaybar mounts. I got mine from PI. YOU could easily make your own. Just say the word and I will send you some detailed pics....
Comp2, I was backing up the drivway and noticed the back of the ZF raising up. I realized that a stud had broken off in the tail of the trans, With my "infinite wisdom" I decided to drill a hole in the stud and remove it with an EZ out. When we started drilling the stud screwed itself all the way through into the ZF. We fished around for a couple of hours with a magnet, then removed it and shook it out. What a releif to get the tip out! Pics on way.
quote:
Originally posted by comp2:
Have you heard if that is a common problem?

I mean, you know, I have heard about how you drive; airborn over RR tracks, running from the cops, etc...
I belive...you can't make it too strong. 2 mounts are better than 1 I think it was just an early mistake that Detomaso corrected when they went to the dual side mounts. Only our early cars had this silly single mount. The side of the ZF are already tapped for these side mounts. The single rear depends on the studs that hold the rear cover on the trans.
quote:
Originally posted by lastpushbutton:
quote:
Originally posted by comp2:
Have you heard if that is a common problem?

I mean, you know, I have heard about how you drive; airborn over RR tracks, running from the cops, etc...
I belive...you can't make it too strong. 2 mounts are better than 1 I think it was just an early mistake that Detomaso corrected when they went to the dual side mounts. Only our early cars had this silly single mount. The side of the ZF are already tapped for these side mounts. The single rear depends on the studs that hold the rear cover on the trans.

I was looking at those photos. I was thinking of adding a little metal in that area anyway to beef up the sway bar mount.

Gary
Link copied to your clipboard.