Skip to main content

Epic Pantera Pick Up Trip Take One:

"It was a dark and Stormy night when suddenly out of the inky blackness the unmistakeable report of a gunshot rang out . . ." - Nah, too melodramatic!

Epic Pantera Pick Up Trip Take Two:

"When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton . . ." - No, there weren't any Hobbits, rings or Orks involved.

Epic Pantera Pick Up Trip Take Three:

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world . . ." - Ok, there wasn't a ship or a white whale this time.

Epic Pantera Pick Up Trip Take Four:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire . . ." Nope, no Death Stars or Wookies here.

Epic Pantera Pick Up Trip Take Five:

"Speak, memory - Of the cunning hero, The wanderer, blown off course time and again after he plundered Troy's sacred heights . . ." Yes, this was an odyssey, but not The Odyssey

Ok, well perhaps the trip wasn't as epic as any of these great trips in literary history, but it was in fact a hell of a trip from Thousand Oaks to San Diego and back that included 3 friends, dinner at The Grill on the Alley, lots of Johhnie Walker Blue Label, lots of caffeine and the Bayside Hilton in San Diego where a convention of 3,000 CABI sales women (think Mary Kay but for fashion)dressed to the nines and doing lots of imbibing was going on, and you have a pretty memorable trip. Throw in the purchase of your first Pantera - yea that car you've been lusting after since you were 13 - and like the commercial says, "Priceless"!

Yesterday after about 3 hours of sleep in the last 48, I brought #6144 to her new home here in Thousand Oaks!

Here's some info on her from the previous owner(courtesy of Chuck Melton's great Pantera Registry) and below that will be a pic or two:

VIN: THPNNG06144
Year: 1973 Number of Cylinders: 8
Make: Other Makes Transmission: Manual
Model: DE TOMASO PANTERA Body Type: Coupe
Trim: None Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
Engine: 351 CLEVELAND Vehicle Title: Clear
Drive Type: 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION Options: Leather Seats
Mileage: 22,000 Power Options: Air Conditioning, Power Windows
Exterior Color: Red Fuel Type: Gasoline
Interior Color: Black For Sale By: Private Seller

1973 Ford DeTomaso Pantera Body by Ghia powered by Ford Cleveland 351 High Performance Engine with 5 Speed Manual Transmission.
Sold in December 1974 by Beverly Hills Lincoln to Larry Kimura as a new vehicle with 1,147 miles. The original bill of sale that accompanies the car describes it as a “Demo”.
Mr. Kimura then had a SIG ERSON RACING CAM installed and had the engine balanced. After that service records indicate that the Pantera was serviced at 7,220 miles in April 1975 and then again in Aug 1975 with 12,365 miles. Mr. Kimura kept the car but found a new toy and stored the car.
In 2005 the car was purchased by Mr. Michael Moga of Arizona with 20,381 miles. The Pantera had been in storage and needed the usual new belts, hoses, fluids, and new tires. The Pantera was brought back to life.
In 2006 I purchased the Pantera with 20,850 miles. The car now has 22,181 original miles.
I have collected high performance cars for many years and this was by far one of my better purchases. It is obvious that the car has always been garaged and well cared for. The undercarriage is rust free, truly a California car. The engine sounds like any high performance Cleveland – Powerful. The body is straight and shows no signs of having any body work. I would say it is an accident free car!
This car is definitely a collector and would be a great addition to any collection. Car has original Bill of Sale, Owners Manual, Service Records, & Original Tool Kit!!!
The car is available for inspection at my California home in San Diego.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 6144_Front_Doors_Open
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Car is now registered (was from out of state) and has real plates on it (Rusnak was a temporary red herring for the cops) and personalized plates are on order.

Needs tuning (dieseling a little at shut down) and clutch needs adjustment - doesn't go into 1st or reverse as nicely as it should. Already checked spring/set bolt adjustment on transaxle and it is all the way out already - will have to dig deeper. Clutch pedal doesn't start engaging until almost all the way out, and accelerator pedal doesn't really engage until an inch or so in - so that needs adjustment too.

Other than that - all smiles!!!
I know you have a pic with you standing next to your mistress, and one with you in the driver's seat. The man cave is cool.

You can only upload one picture per dicussion type post. You can load mutiple pictures to a picture album however. I don't think I have picture albums enabled in every forum, just the photo forums; too old to remember for sure. You can load your pictures to a photo server, like Photobucket, and then list up to 8 URLs in the body of a post. That method uses the least amount of forum bandwidth, and save Pantera International a little bit of money.

You don't want the accelerator pedal to have full travel, it will just get you into trouble.

Nice blue sauerKaki
Link copied to your clipboard.