Skip to main content

Hooo boy- if you're talking of actually restoring the wheels, remember that all were painted, first with chromate, then an aluminum-colored paint. None were run 'naked', which is why polished magnesium doesn't work without daily waxing. It depends entirely on WHAT paint you now have if you're going to attempt to remove it. It also depends on whether they were sand-blasted then rattle-can-painted, or were the wheels powder-coated. In the case of a simple spray, aircraft stripper should get everything off. In the case of the wheels being sand-blasted, the essential protective zinc chromate coating would have been removed as well, and will have to be reapplied quickly. In the case of powder-coating, sandblasting is the only way I know to remove all the coating. I'd try a tiny bit of stripper, in back where it doesn't show, & see what happens.Or, get some stock argent-silver paint and again, try it to see if it covers. But I'm afraid that the occasional rock-chip or weathering will let the yellow show after a while, unless they're chemically or mechanically stripped.
Link copied to your clipboard.