Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wow! That's a LOT of customization for an essentially "brand new" car. I think you're right about the "new speedometer." Or, they must mean "Believed to be 839 original miles" on the new Goodyear tires... Yeah, that's it!

It's a shame these auction houses shade the truth to make a buck! Actually, it's downright dishonest and they should be treated as criminals.
quote:
Originally posted by garth66:
Wow! That's a LOT of customization for an essentially "brand new" car. I think you're right about the "new speedometer." Or, they must mean "Believed to be 839 original miles" on the new Goodyear tires... Yeah, that's it!

It's a shame these auction houses shade the truth to make a buck! Actually, it's downright dishonest and they should be treated as criminals.

That car appears to have other criminals in its past.
I think this auction is one we should all watch.

The high Pantera prices we have recently seen at auction have been for low-mileage "original" cars and for the Ring Brothers, let me be kind, "highly modified" creation.

Here is a Poster Child real-world Pantera. It displays a lot of changes that would be deal-killers for any 'original' car:

headlight delete ???!!WTF

moonroof

molded-in sugar scoop

ummm, flared wheel arches

spun aluminum wheels much better suited to any car other than a Pantera

tuck-n-roll door panels Eeker

an obviously modified engine

Thus this car may be better suited to giving a real-world price check for what a modified Pantera market is like.

My 2¢

Larry
Gentleman. With regard to the 1974 GTS..in defense of Dennis Muck, the owner of the car, I have to say, this is A REAL CAR w/REAL MILEAGE. Google his name in Englewood Colorado, or better yet, call Dennis Quella, who ALSO knows him personally. Dennis [Muck] has a vast collection of high end cars, it's not what he does for a living but a hobby. He has the knowledge and the necessary capital to back it. He DID buy the car new, Dennis [Quella that is]was the only mechanic to touch the car to my knowledge. The mods were done when the car was new, & yes it has a race engine. I was very close to a deal on that car about a year ago. You can even call Dennis Muck directly if you like, he's a super nice guy. Theres no funny business on the mileage.
I do not believe, on a car modified as much as this one is,that low mileage adds any noticeable increase to the value of the car.

With that in mind I find the bidding that went up to $87,000 to be more than I feel the car is worthy of.

Obviously there were at least two bidders who would disagree with my opinion.

Would be interesting to know what the seller had in mind as a reserve.

Larry
Ahhhh, thank you Gentlemen. Much better than the [initial] harsh criticisms, plural. In any event, here are the dynamics as I see them, my 2 cents worth. The car has some light issues going on with the old paint work and custom body work. Custom Panteras do well under the lights, but not when in need of redoing. The car should be redone & remove the sun roof at the very least. Next, I sell at live auctions. History shows the first year of any collector car auction does not get a big draw. The number of cars is relatively small by standards of Mecum, RM Auction America, Russo & Steele, etc. That car could easily break the bank at Barrett Vegas or Mecum Kissimmee [3000 cars], even Monterey where the Greg Brody GTS did a buck twenty no sale. He wanted 160 at the time, held out, sold it for 180k to Japan recently. The big auction houses experience a very high percentage of sell through. Second, I blame it on the number...someone was sleeping when they handed out the numbers. That was a horrible number, early Saturday. Premium numbers sell for thousands, just for your 90 seconds on stage. I would have never accepted that number. I've had such numbers in the past, the cars won't do the money, only to go to Craig Jackson and ask him to rerun the car prime time. Then the car does 40% more. Dennis is a friend of mine, my idea would be re-do the car, insist on prime billing next time, buy the best number months in advance on a Friday or Saturday night around 7 or 8, a crowded standing room only audience at Russo or Barrett Scottsdale, make the body work/paint work perfect & look out. Only takes two bidders. Like Dana [Mecum] says, the beat goes on...just off the heels of doing 43 MILLION in sales at Mecum Spring Classic last month at Indy, 1400 car auction. I liken this GTS to the artist carving the bear out of a log. The bear is in there, he knows it, he makes it happen. The value of this GTS is there also, I can see it. If Dennis wanted to, he could have that car ready for January Scottsdale with Ring Brothers mods looking like a million, or would that be......drum roll, back to stock the day it was born! 700 original mile original owner GTS that was once modified.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.