Skip to main content

got as surplus for my car 4907 two 15"x8" rims. They look like Campagnolo's, but have NO Rim labeling in the cast, only stamp 8x15 at the front and on the rear numbering 40702Bp. Weight looks pretty much correct for magnesium..17 pounds.
Does anyone have an idea on this rim's - original or not?
TX for help to a Pantera Newcomer

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN2110-x
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That kinda looks like a second-design 'Campy'. Some of these wheels were made AFTER Campagnolo went bankrupt (the first time) and was sold to several different holding companies- finally to Technomagnesio- a competitive wheel maker in Italy. Note that "Campys" were used by all kinds of racing cars other than Panteras. I've seen 8" & 10" x 15s on 911 Porsches and Alfas! If the casting wasn't touched up by someone with a die grinder or heavily painted to conceal the marks, it may be one of Techno's wheels. A small scraping could be taken from the back and chemically analyzed (or burned); if it's positively mag' and not aluminum, I wouldn't worry about ID-ing.

An owner in So-Cal had a set of these wheels on his Pantera and had a batch of repro decals made a few years ago that say 'Technomagnesio' instead of Campagnolo; he was selling them in sets of 4 pretty cheap and probably still has some left. PM me for his e-mail.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.