Skip to main content

Yesterday went to cruise around the hood to wake the neighbors with my black 5S, but the front Air Ride suspension petered out about 1/2 way up when I was raising it, so I let it down again and now I don't get anything when trying to raise it. Anyone experienced with these systems? I am thinking if it was partially working when I tried it initially, then it may not be an electrical issue such as a relay or something. This unit shown below clicks when da wife hits the up button, but other than that nothing happens to raise the car.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0945Close
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks. So that valve unit may be working fine since it does produce a tick sound when hitting the on button for the car to go up. Yes, the compressor and other associated things are behind the rear side fender grill. I will be taking off that grill to take a look see, but peeking through the grill I don't see any relays. But after I get it off I will see better. I am thinking maybe they put relays in the usual fuse area if they are not back by the compressor.
Below is what I see from the engine bay looking outward toward the compressor area. The bottom of the black compressor tank can be seen in the top right, where one hose connects from the compressor to the other unit shown that has the two red wires/blue connectors. I suppose I need to see if I am getting juice to this unit with the two red wires. I have a test light, but not sure of the process to test that area.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2477_Compressor
The round device with the two red wires looks like a pressure switch. It would turn off the compressor when the pressure reaches a certain level.

First unplug the wire on the terminal closest to the compressor motor and see if you have juice in that wire when you push the button. You are testing in the wire, not at the switch terminal.

If no, then the interruption is upstream of that. If you have juice in the wire, plug it back in and remove the other short red wire from the other terminal. The one that leads to the compressor motor. Now test for juice at the male spade terminal on the round switch. If no, then that switch is bad.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave2811:
The round device with the two red wires looks like a pressure switch. It would turn off the compressor when the pressure reaches a certain level.

First unplug the wire on the terminal closest to the compressor motor and see if you have juice in that wire when you push the button. You are testing in the wire, not at the switch terminal.

If no, then the interruption is upstream of that. If you have juice in the wire, plug it back in and remove the other short red wire from the other terminal. The one that leads to the compressor motor. Now test for juice at the male spade terminal on the round switch. If no, then that switch is bad.

I tested as mentioned above and this is what I found in the photo below. The red wire closest to the compressor in the photo is hot all the time, even when the car is off I get light on my test light when I hook that wire to a test light and the other end to ground. Then I hooked that wire back up, unhooked the other red wire (furthest from the compressor) and made a female connection to slip over the male terminal, and hooked a test light to that with the other end to ground, and no test light came on at any point, even when operating the switch to make the car raise. Not sure what all that may mean. Maybe that entire switch and compressor unit needs replaceing, unless there is something else I can test.

Yesterday when I went in the car, it did raise somewhat and pressure guage went up, but then it petered out and I let the rest of the air out with the downward switch. Now it won't go up at all, and no pressure on the guage.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2477_Compressor2LoRes
quote:
Originally posted by Steeler:
Briefly couple the two red wires together, and see if the compressor runs and builds pressure, Beware it will over pressurize the system if left on too long!
If it works like that, the compressor is OK, see if you can get a new pressure switch?
Wink

Thanks. So I presume I can hook those two red wires together with the ignition off and nothing should happen with the ignition off right? But then I get in the car and turn the key on, and then press the up suspension button just briefly to see if I get any raising of the car, right?
quote:
Originally posted by tecnosound-Jim Coyne:
Jan, No, If one of those is hot with the ignition off (as you say) then when you hook those two wires together you will probably energize the pump immediately.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking as well since the one red wire is hot even with the car off. But thats ok if it raises when I hook the two red wires together, because this unit raises slowly and not like the chevy's hopping up and down in da hood. Now to bed, too tired to monkey more with it tonight. Just charging the battery now to be sure I have juice!
I am obviously no electrical expert, but I was thinking about this testing and wondering what actually gets juice to the compressor when I operate the switch to raise the car. The one red wire that is going to this switch in front of the compressor is hot all the time, even with the key off. Then you have this other red wire from that switch going into the side of the compressor. Thats all the wires I see. So if the one wire that goes to the switch is always hot, then what wire is providing the electrical pulse when I operate the switch to raise the car?
I am no expert -- but if I remember correctly, the compressor has a reservoir and always is pressured up with air, ready to go. When you call for air through the valve, the pressure goes down in the reservoir and the pressure switch closes the contacts and closes the circuit for juice to the compressor, and the compressor makes air until the pressure builds enough (finger on the valve to raise your car or not) to shut off. The button or lever you push to call for air does not regulate when the compressor goes on and off -- that is the job of the switch with the hot wire all the time.

So, do not connect these two wires and walk away -- something bad will happen. Either too much pressure will build and a safety valve will pop, or a seized air compressor will start a little fire, maybe...... don't know.

Wish I was closer to help you out. Sounds like fun!!!!

Later Jan,

Mark
quote:
Originally posted by DeMopuar:
I am no expert -- but if I remember correctly, the compressor has a reservoir and always is pressured up with air, ready to go. When you call for air through the valve, the pressure goes down in the reservoir and the pressure switch closes the contacts and closes the circuit for juice to the compressor, and the compressor makes air until the pressure builds enough (finger on the valve to raise your car or not) to shut off. The button or lever you push to call for air does not regulate when the compressor goes on and off -- that is the job of the switch with the hot wire all the time.

So, do not connect these two wires and walk away -- something bad will happen. Either too much pressure will build and a safety valve will pop, or a seized air compressor will start a little fire, maybe...... don't know.

Wish I was closer to help you out. Sounds like fun!!!!

Later Jan,

Mark

What? Sounds like reverse electronics. So it seems when I press the button for the car to raise, that actually cuts electricity to the hot wire and then allows air to flow from the reservior and raise the car? I couldn't test things today by touching the two red wires because I need to gets me some male connectors and fix them to ends of a wire to connect both of them. I wanted to get all my stuff first, because when I monkey too much with the car turning it on and off, then the alarm from hell goes off and I shit my pants. So I need to pick up some Depends tomorrow as well.
Jan,

Basically, you have two separate parts to this system.

First, you have the pump and pressure switch.

Second, you have the solenoid valves (the pic in your first post). These are activated with the up/down switch.

Looking at the pic of the solenoid valves, there are two pairs of wires on the upper part (just above the red "block", which is the valve body). These wires go to the up and down solenoid valves, and receive power from the up/down switch.

At the compressor, remove the two red wires from the pressure switch and temporarily connect them together (just a few seconds). The compressor should run. As Steeler mentioned, don't let the compressor run too long, as bad things could happen. If the compressor runs, then the pressure switch is bad. The pressure switch is most likely the problem.

John
Ha ha, yeah money talks, but I must say da more da pain da cheaper the price. However I have a good health plan & provides lots of meds to cope with all the modified Panteras Smiler

You guys know your shit. I hooked the red wires together and the the compressor ran. Then hooked the red wires back up to the switch and went in the car and worked the raise switch, and pressure guage went up, not enough to raise the car though, probably because I only worked the compressor for a few seconds. So, it looks like I probably need to replace this switch part as shown? Probably with Air Ride company, I think now operates as Ride Tech or such.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_2525AirRideSwitchAtCompressor
quote:
Originally posted by jb1490:
quote:
So, it looks like I probably need to replace this switch part as shown?

Correct. Make sure that you bleed off the air before removing the switch.

John

Getting the part soon. To bleed off the air, I figure I just work the the suspension down switch button which lets air out so the car lowers, and I assume all the air would be out doing that unless I am missing something.
quote:
Getting the part soon. To bleed off the air, I figure I just work the the suspension down switch button which lets air out so the car lowers, and I assume all the air would be out doing that unless I am missing something.

That should do it. As a precaution, unscrew the switch slowly and listen for any air that might be escaping past the switch's threads.

John
Thanks on the pressure advise when I unscrew it. As an added protection, maybe I will have the wife unscrew the switch Big Grin

As for Pantera prices, we all say things are not for sale until someone shows up with a brown bag of cash (big bag). This switch thing fortunatley turned out to be rather minor frustration, however we are not done yet. I will be happy when the part is in and car raises up to clear the driveway, and I can once again wake the neighbors. But show car Chevy is for sale Smiler, dropped to $39K OBO, bargan of the century!: http://www.poca.com/index.php/...ery/?g2_itemId=12533
Thanks all. Switch arrived and I put it in (after a little ananysis of which whire connects where since it looked a little different). So just finished wakeing up the neighborhood cruising, I am sure they appreciated it being fixed. It now goes up and down at the speed of light, just like when I was a teenager dating. Big Grin
Link copied to your clipboard.