Skip to main content

I am in serious need. I removed my original AutoLite 4300 for rebuild, taking careful digital photos of the original vacuum line routing. Today I was informed that my son accidentally deleted all of the photos.

I haven't any idea how to 'recreate' the routing. Does anyone, anywhere have the original routing diagram? Pretty please?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Adams my friend, I can probably dig up a diagram somewhere. But before I do, my recommendation is to connect the outer cannister of the vacuum advance directly to ported vacuum (a nipple located on the side of the carby) and throw the remainder of all that plumbing away, plug the various vacuum nipples with those little rubber caps made for that job.

One of the little goodies on the Pantera is a switch, screwed into the engine block's coolant outlet, that slows the engine's idle speed as the coolant system over heats. Reducing the idle speed of the motor makes the motor want to die when its hot and reduces the speed of the water pump, therby pumping less coolant. Slowing the motor was intended to reduce the heat load on the cooling system, but circulating less coolant causes the motor to overheat WORSE!

Ford orignally designed the vacuum advance plumbing for their engines in that period to increase the engine idle speed when they got hot. But in Italy they did things differently.

The rest of all that vacuum spaghetti was solely designed to pass 1974 emissions testing, and had nothing to do with optimizing the performance of the motor.

Let me know if you still want that diagram. If you must replumb all the vacuum hoses, I would suggest plumbing it the way it came from Ford, and leaving off the Italian engineered bits.

cowboy from hell
Last edited by George P
quote:
Originally posted by A Hudson:
...if I don't renew perhaps...

If you don't renew you'll have the cowboy from hell pulling up in your driveway with fire in his eyes, lasso in one hand and shot gun in the other. Pantera International is like a secret society, once you join there's no quitting.

quote:
Originally posted by A Hudson:
...If you or others can locate the original diagram, then I can route it to look 'correct' but plug up the useless stuff. Hopefully I can identify the "right" one to leave operable...

Larry, not to steal your steam, but I'll be able to post the pic of the diagram out of the Ford manual this evening, and a second pic of my recommended revised plumbing scheme. Its fairly simple to make it look plumbed properly when in fact its not.

Of course, I'm at the day job right now, which is why the pics will have to wait until this evening.

cowboy from hell
I shall be perched by my computer, awaiting word and diagram from the master, with my renewal form somewhere nearby.

Thanks in advance. My 14-year old son's guilt (Do Teenager's Have Guilt? Discuss) will be mightily relieved at sight of diagram. I went and saw my carb-less Pantera today, and cannot WAIT to get in there and detail before it comes back. The vacuum hoses will help complete the task!
I sort of made mine look plumbed right when it was not to show my old boss (and buddy) Earl who runs the local garage/inspection station for my 2007 inspection sticker. Got my sticker and told him to make a good mental picture of my "stock" set-up so he could plausibly deny the existence my present er, slightly non-stock set up when I show up next time.
Adams,

The '74 Pantera has 5 emissions systems:

1. Positive crankcase ventillation
2. Evaporative emissions control
3. Heated air controls
4. Distributor controls (spark timing)
5. Exhaust gas recirculation

I am assuming systems 1 & 2 are not an issue. System 3 is self contained within the air filter assembly, so I assume it is not an issue either. That leaves us with systems 4 & 5. System 4 is Pantera specific, it would do no good to post pictures from a Chilton manual or a Ford repair manual, because they would be different. System 5 is generic Ford, circa 1973. However, 1973 was the first year Ford began issuing a separate repair manual for emissions systems, up to that point, emissions systems had always been covered in the engine manuals. As luck would have it, I have given my '73 & '74 emissions manuals away years ago, because those cars are exempt from emissions testing in the Green State (California).

I have found a pretty good diagram detailing the vacuum hose plumbing, plus a schematic of the distributor controls. Those I shall post. Finally, I modified the distributor controls schematic to detail my suggestion for clandestine emissions intervention and shall post that as well.

To sum up, the brake booster will remain connected to the intake. The PCV valve shall also remain functional. The last connection shall be ported vacuum (side nipple on the carby) connected to the outer diaphragm of the vacuum advance/retard mechanism on the distributor. All other vacuum hoses should be plugged or disabled. My suggestion is to install small bearings acquired from a bicycle shop or an old bicycle, sized so that they fit very snugly inside the various hoses.

The idle solenoid shall be disabled by disconnecting it from its voltage source. You shall then need to set the idle speed of the motor the good ol' fashioned way, with the idle stop screw. Finally I suggest you optimize the ignition advance at idle following the instructions I have provided on this forum several times in the past.

Many emissions motors from this era (1970's) actually ran worse when the EGR system was disabled, however I have never found this to be the case with the '73 & '74 351C Cobra Jets, they run just fine with the EGR valves unplugged.

cowboy from hell

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pantera_vacuum_plumbing_1small
Last edited by George P
Link copied to your clipboard.