Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
Yup, that's what I thought. The two largest suppliers of metric fasteners don't carry anything that large.

OK, Fredrick, where'd ya' get the parts? Probably in a Euro Home Depot, right?

Help me! Excuse me, I have to go bang my head on the wall now!

I bought the parts from a tractor parts supplier here in Sweden! I paid $20 for the parts and almost the same for the shipping!

I think you can find the parts here also. Link
The 22mm size of the fluid/hollow bolt is the problem.
It is a very large size for us here in the US.
The largest I can find is 16mm.

I can't find anyone that even has a reducer to go down from 22mm to 12 or 10mm.

The 12 or 10mm hollow bolt is very common in Earl's or Aeroquip.

I can't even make my own because I don't have taps and dies 22mm.

This is the biggest problem. Once I can reduce the 22mm it will be a piece of cake!
Doug 22mm = aprox 3/4" try Mc master car for adapters to NPT. or you can get a 3/4 NPT tap and tap out the tank it could be 1" ? if you have the 22mm Plug .. take it drill it out to 1/2 NPT and your done. If your car flows more then 1/2 NPT ( ID ) your going to need 2 gas tanks ...LOL or if you want I'll drill it and tap it for you in my shop in about 2 minutes.
22mm = .866".

Drilling it out to npt is the next best alternative I agree. Simplest is to use a 22-1.5 to 12mm-1.5 reducer fitting, put a banjo to -6 and a fluid bolt/hollow bolt on it.

I still have to pull the plug out and see what the Detomaso's gave me to work with. The bushing needs some meat to go to 3/4npt. No sense in leaving it too thin, with a brass to steel factory fitting soldered in there.

It is for a return line for the EFI. A -6 hose is all it needs.

The question is how to get for point "A" to point "B" by the simplest route.

The tank is in the car and will not be coming out anytime soon. At least that is plan A.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Great find George and it probably will work ..but its not the correct fitting. I checked the plug removed from my tank and its a 22mm Tapered thread in the bottom. The fitting on Pegasus it a straight thread and may work with the o ring as a gasket .. but be sure to file the bottom smooth so the o ring seats.

A 3/4 NPT tap works .. 3/4 is ID 1 1/16 " OD and theres enough meat to tap it.

I would nt use those banjo fittings .. your flowing liquid and all those sharp turns and small holes are restricive. Your defeating the purpose.

This is why the fitting George found is the next best thing to tapping it out you can use a Radius'd 90 with a smooth bend to flow fuel.

My 2 cents.
This is one of the reasons that one needs to do a "look-see".
Apparently there were a few details left out of the 22x1.5mm fluid bolt/banjo install. But that's ok.

Everyone is just trying to help.

22x1.5mm taps are as scarce as hens teeth around here.

Like I said, 3/4npt was the next best thing. Now it is the way to go. No problem on those tap sizes here.

Thanks for checking it out Ron.
Last edited by panteradoug
Yup, you found more.

As I read them (sometimes I am semi-literate), the first one is just plugs.

Parker shows an adaptor but does not indicate the metric thread is a tapered thread.

I live near the NYC retail/distributor for Parker/Weatherhead.

Metric fittings, regardless of if they are in the catalog or not, are not available.

I can't find someone to buy them from to try anything. Everything is a BFD with this thing.

Taping to NPT looks like the simplest fitting by far. Even if I just want to plug the drain back up, I can plug it with a 3/4NPT.
Ron, only the PLUG is tappered. The bung is not!
The 22x1.5 adapter from Pegasis should work with no problem. Particularly with the o-ring.

That can probably be swapped for a copper gasket I'll bet.

Also point of noteworthiness: 1)1/2npt will physisically fit the factory tank bung as it exists.

2)The difference between the two is that the 1/2npt has a thread pitch of 1.75mm instead of 1.50mm.
I am tempted to just run a 1/2npt tap through it and use an o-ring adapter to seal it.

3)the location of the bung makes it very important to hold the fuel line as close to the tank as possible.

Although the the nice radius bend hose ends are signifigant to fuel flow I suppose, even with a 120 degree end the line is projected into harms way. A banjo or maybe one of Earls fancy flex-o-ring pipe to jic would be acceptable. Especially if it is just a return.

I was going to use this drain for a return line for the EFI.
Considering that I took 6 gallons out of the tank when I thought it was empty is a very poor reflection on my Holley Electric fuel pump. I knew I had fuel in the tank and had originally located the electric fuel pump in a way that it could be used to power drain the tank. I used it that way here until it ran dry. The only thing is that there were still 6 gallons in the tank. I think there is something wrong here?

This car is unreal. It is just a never ending sagga of twist upon twist. The term, of "opening a can of worns" really seems appropriate now.
Granted it isn't even an Italian fuel pump? Holley wasn't Italian...right?
Will it ever stop?

Well you never know? Who would of thought a guy named Weber was Italian?

Oh, Forest, you are right on with the 1/2npt fitting. The 1/2npt does screw in!
There is a difference in the thread pitches though. The 22mm plug is a 1.5 pitch and the 1/2npt is a 1.75 pitch.

It explains why you were able to install it tighly though.
Wishfull thinking Ron.
The 22mm is the size of the tubing. 3/4npt the size of the male thread.
They are checking to see if they can get a fitting but they say they do not have metric fittings at all.
Metric fittings are about as easy to find in the US as are metric speed limit signs.

The thought of using the plug itself as an adaptor is a great idea. I will investigate that today.

I'm leanig towards running the 1/2npt tap through and using an earls adaptor. If it gets screwed up, the option of drilling out the bung and going to 3/4npt is always there and looks doable.

Forest, did you use the drain plug as the supply or the return on you EFI system?

What should I use for an electric fuel pump? How much psi does the system need?
Thanks Rover. I found the picture in the electric fuel pump thread. That part would be perfect.

The Parker Tech people say the part # you gave me is cadium plated steel.
I like the o-ring seal design. Thanks for mentioning it in this thread. I would have never thought to look in the other thread. Even if I found it.

It is ordered and has to come from the factory. It's a non-stocked item by the distributor.

It's a little pricey for steel at $28.84 but I can't complain. It's the correct part.
Purchase the 22MM x 1.5 to 8AN adapter fitting from Pegasus.

Chuck the fitting in a lathe and remove the AN end from the fitting, machine the fitting smooth & flat.

Now drill the Pegasus adapter fitting and tap it for the threads of a readily available SAE spec banjo fitting of the proper size.

For a 1/2 hours worth of work you'll end up with the exact fiting you are looking for.

If you don't have a lathe, you probably know somebody who does. If not, mail it to me, I'll machine the fitting for you. Other than the adapter fitting, you'll need to purchase the banjo fitting & through bolt you want to use, plus the proper tap for the through bolt threads.

cowboy from hell
quote:
Originally posted by george pence:
Purchase the 22MM x 1.5 to 8AN adapter fitting from Pegasus.

Chuck the fitting in a lathe and remove the AN end from the fitting, machine the fitting smooth & flat.

Now drill the Pegasus adapter fitting and tap it for the threads of a readily available SAE spec banjo fitting of the proper size.

For a 1/2 hours worth of work you'll end up with the exact fiting you are looking for.

If you don't have a lathe, you probably know somebody who does. If not, mail it to me, I'll machine the fitting for you. Other than the adapter fitting, you'll need to purchase the banjo fitting & through bolt you want to use, plus the proper tap for the through bolt threads.

cowboy from hell

How did you know I have a lathe? Are you spying on me?

I already kinda' went that route this AM with the plug.

The problem is that you can't thread the sucker because you can't hold it in the vise. Ordinarily who'd care? Just run it through the die to clean up the threads right? Well the die for that 22x1.5 is $87 at Grainer and needs to come from the central warehouse.

Bottom line isany which way you go, for an adaptor to npt, they got ya'.

I'll have the parker by Wednesday of next week.

That's life, that what all the people say. Flyin' high in April, shot down in May...
It figures that the banjo's are available.I'm already commited to the Parker. I do like the o-ring design against the tank. It makes the fitting 360 degree adjustable.

Nice search George. Google returned nothing for me. Those are probably what Fredrik used.

The tube end of the fitting is a -10 jic. It's a little big so I'll step it down to a -6. It will work out fine.

The Swagelok people say they have a 22mmx1.5 reducer to anything I want. It isn't on the webpage. He is faxing me a "template" sheet. I think they want to make it for me in SS.
Doug .. for a return fuel line the Banjo fitting that George recommended is the best for the application .. I have my tank out and I welded on a 90 degree 1/2 NPT to 12AN adatper. that will be my fuel supply.
Swadgelok is for Sanitary Application in the Food and Drug Industry. .. the the level of quality and cost exceeds both our needs. I have piles of this stuff left over from completed jobs .. so I use it up when ever I can.
I think that I am going to use the drain as a supply.
I can always use the original supply as the return and it won't matter if there is something wrong with the pickup.
The Parker is already on it's way. If it doesn't work out the "new" bajo find is an alternative.

You can see the picture of the Parker installed in a picture that Rapier posted in a thread about electric fuel pumps.

It's a nice piece and it has an o-ring with a locknut set up. That let's me swing the fitting to wherever I want it.

This thread should be quite worthwhile to a lot of Pantera people. There were alot of technical points touched upon it and will help out a lot of people in the future.

I just wish my search engines could have found what the CBFH do.

Oh, I did try using the old plug as an adaptor but in order to tap it 3/8npt ther is no way to hold the plug as you tap it without damaging the threads.
With the possible exception of installing it into the tank and tapping it in place.
The way the tank flexes I didn't want to risk a $1500 tank for a $30 fitting.

Thanks for everyones input. I do appreciate it.
There may be a few of you who like the idea of the banjo fitting and the fluid bolt.
I can't argue with the logic.
Mr.Pence was kind enough to find a listing in the continental US at a company known as Summers Rubber Co.
Well I liked the idea so much I actually called them to order it.
I know you don't want to know my negative vibes on the interaction. How first I spoke to Moe, then Shemp and finally Curley.
Curley was the most helpfull.

After 5 calls to these stooges, they decided 1)they didn't have the parts. 2)they could get them in 4 to 6 weeks 3)I had to order at least 250 of each item.

Wait, wait, wait, this isn't entirely true. They did have the two crush washers. With a $15 handling charge, $8.80 for UPS, and $1.60 for the washers, I don't know what came over me.

I think Curley is really the smartest.

My Parker park will be here around Wednesday.

Have a nice weekend enveryone. I still have snow in the front of the house, the north side. It should be gone by May. Well sometime in May.
Ron, everything is under control. I thank you for the offer to help. I do appreciate it. I'll have the fitting that I want by the middle of the week.
There's no hurry.

Yeh, I do still have a pile of snow. More like an iceberg. Hey this is Yonkers. What do you expect?

My wife crossed the bridge last Sunday to go to the "Palisades" shopping mall. I'm still hearing about how packed it was. Rockland has caught up.
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
The fitting from Parker is here and installed.
It threads in perfectly. It is a 1/2 ISO to -10JIC.
It got here fast. The package said Made in England.You can see a really nice pic of it posted in the Electric Fuel Pump thread.
I am going to use it as the supply.
I will use the original factory pickup as the return.
This will eliminate any possibilaty of vapor lock in the system.
Thanks to all. I never would have found that fitting without this Forum.
Link copied to your clipboard.