Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
anyone got some for sale

I have a set of 48IDA's on a Hall Pantera manifold (for cast iron heads) and since I purchased the new 393C 620HP stroker engine I won't be going that route, so I have contemplated selling them. While on the subject of Webers I'm on the lookout for a set of 48IDF's on a 302 manifold.
I have run them on two cars.

They certainly are not childs play to set up. The most difficult thing about them is how the nature of the engine changes with the weather.

Linkage over time tends to be a problem. It tends to twist and put the carbs out of sync.

Once you have driven a car with a well set up set that's all you will ever want to drive.

They really were brought to light in use on the 289 Cobras.

People don't understand what they are getting with them.

The misunderstandings are similar to the misconceptions many have about a camshagt change.

I would advise you in this manor. You can put four 2-4 weber carbs on a 289 (or a 351) but that won't make it into a 427.
I bought a Hall Weber manifold and was going to hunt up the carbs, but decided against it. EVERYBODY that I talked to said that tuning would be a constant problem because of the range of altitudes we run into in Colorado. I was told that setting one up for racing on a track was reasonable since normal race tracks don't change elevation more then a few tens of feet. Similarly, if you live and drive in an area of mostly flat lands, you can set it up and go. However, if elevations are constantly changing where you drive (I live 30 miles from the Rocky Mountains) the Webers will be nothing but a headache.
I don't know what the topography is like in Melbourne, but if you do any mountain driving, you may want to reconsider.
I'll probably give it a few more years until my engine needs attention and then start shopping for an EFI system for my manifold.
All carbs are going to change with altitude because the air being thinner at altitude effects the air fuel ratio.

The issue is no just the type of carb,which is a 48ida which is a RACING CARB, but you are running individual runner induction.

If you are going to start from scratch and want the IR look (and performance advantage) you should consider a fuel injection system.

If I ever get organized and get the money that's what I intend to do.

This way the computer will take care of all of the instant variables that occur. Some complained about hot starting with these systems but that can happen with carbs also.

If you shop wisely you can do the FI for a little more then the carbs but anyway you look at it figure on a minimum of $4000 for the FI.
I know that efi is the best, I remap efi cars on the dyno daily, what I want is the neat look.
i was thinking of the webbers as they are fairly eat, no wires etc. Where i live it is flat no real hills etc.
and did look better than a plain holley.
with efi there will be 2 fuel lines / rails etc plus pressure pump, and the ecu has to fit somewhere !!
I am going for the clean look in the engine bay and detailed, which I will show everyone when finished.
the webers would add that extra sparkle !!
everything else is getting polished !!
I did think of tunnel rams, but unsire how they would look ( will the rams fit under the stock engine cover !! ha ha !! )
The IR EFI would have the fuel rail but the Webers have the fuel line plumbing to deal with.
They are actually very similar.
There is very little that fits under the original screen.
Marlin has his own version of the tunnel ram dialed in.
I don't know what he has done with it except eliminate the Weiand plenum.
Perhaps he has pictures of how he adapted the carbs?
A 1/2" adapter plate isn't much of a plenum.
Yeah I think if it can't fit under the screen I may as well go overboard !!
The tunnel rams with 2 side mounted chrome carbs, may be the way to go !!
That way it will be noticed !!
I don't park the car anywhere unattended anyway !
Surely that will look tough !!all polished up with polished gearbox and detailed smoothed engine bay ! all in black !!
quote:
Originally posted by v8capri:
Surely that will look tough !!all polished up with polished gearbox and detailed smoothed engine bay ! all in black !!

Heck V8, why not mount two Dominator Holley sideways? If you can't see out the rear window you might as well get some attention? Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
quote:
Originally posted by v8capri:

Heck V8, why not mount two Dominator Holley sideways? If you can't see out the rear window you might as well get some attention? Smiler
Ha Ha, you are very close !! they won't be dominaters, but they are sideways mounted !!
I agree with your thinking !
If you are gonna do it, do it BIG !!
...Doug, Who is doing Your 'Precision Measurements'?? The Planums are 1.5" Deep! And that is plenty. Each of Four Cylinders Draws from One 4 Barrel Holley; at Idle, Cruise, on up to WOT. Ofcourse, I have Over 40 Years Experience working with Holleys. I've learned what works and what doesn't...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Satin_Black_013
quote:
Originally posted by Transmitter Man:
Is that your intake for the high port heads?

No, that's a Hall 4V 48IDA intake.

quote:
Is there enough meat to port match to either stock iron 4V and CHI 3V heads?Phil
79 Longchamp GTS 3061

On my intake, you can not port match the floor to 4V port. Plenty of meat width-wise. As for the CHI 3Vs, you might need to fill the floor a tad. Don't recall. I'd have to check the dimensions from the deck to the floor and roof of the 3Vs. On my lid, the floor is up about 1 1/8"" from the deck and the roof 2" up from that as cast.

Kelly
Link copied to your clipboard.