Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You have to take the ZF out of the car. There are 2 tensioned long bolts that run along the bottom of the bottom cover. While you can get the nuts off the bolts, you can't remove the bolts as because they are too long and the frame rails get in the way of pulling them out.

Once the ZF is out, drain it, flip it over and take the bottom plate off and see if it's been done.

The object of the safety wiring is to keep the ring gear bolts from coming loose and sheering off. If this happens, Not only do you have bolt heads flying around inside your gearbox but you could also snap them all and have your ring gear spin free as well and this will be very disastrous to just about everything including your wallet.

The bolts are a special type that have holes drilled through the bolt heads. The safety wire is wound through one bolt to the next. The object of safety wiring is to keep the bolts tight. The 2 wired together cannot loosen since they are wound opposite of each other. If one tried to loosen, it tightens up the other one and vice versa. They become locked in position with each other.

quote:
Originally posted by Downunder:
As a new owner I was wondering what ZF Safety wiring is all about and how can I tell if its been done on my car?pitt_tech@optusnet.com.au

Attachments

Images (1)
  • AZ_Rebuild_008_smaller
Last edited by coz
Would you really trust the inspection of a very expensive and important part of you car through a bolt hole with a tiny light ?

quote:
Originally posted by Husker:
Jack DeRyke has mentioned using a very small lightbulb and feeding it through a bolt hole to inspect the ring gear. If you're interested, I believe the write up was on the DeTomaso forum and I can try to dig it up. This would not require removal of the ZF.
Link copied to your clipboard.