Skip to main content

I had to pull my engine to replace a leaking gas tank so while out, I have been sealing, painting and detailing the motor and ZF. With a 45 year old pressure plate, disc and TO bearing, it makes sense to replace those parts before reinstalling the engine and trans. I do NOT track the car so I am looking for an OEM style three finger set-up, not Center Force.

Can someone recommend the correct parts, numbers and source(s). My car is a '72 Pre-L 03046 I have heard that Mustang clutches don't work as the outer finger ends contact the bell housing on the Pantera.

Also, any tips on reassembly of the transaxle, clutch, TO bearing, slave cylinder, etc.. Anything to lubricate? Should the flywheel be resurfaced? Etc.

Many thanks! Fred
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by usmcfred:
I had to pull my engine to replace a leaking gas tank so while out, I have been sealing, painting and detailing the motor and ZF. With a 45 year old pressure plate, disc and TO bearing, it makes sense to replace those parts before reinstalling the engine and trans. I do NOT track the car so I am looking for an OEM style three finger set-up, not Center Force.

Can someone recommend the correct parts, numbers and source(s). My car is a '72 Pre-L 03046 I have heard that Mustang clutches don't work as the outer finger ends contact the bell housing on the Pantera.

Also, any tips on reassembly of the transaxle, clutch, TO bearing, slave cylinder, etc.. Anything to lubricate? Should the flywheel be resurfaced? Etc.

Many thanks! Fred

Fred after megga cock ups with mine,

I would get a McCloud
spinner plate
Pressure plate
Release bearing

I would inspect the old parts you have VERY carefully, and then compare them with the new ones you will buy, BEFORE fitting any of them.

It is also recommended that you have the flywheel re faced/ machined flat, or renewed if need be.

Slave cylinder adjustment will be needed to allow for the difference in size of the new spinner plate.

McCloud will supply details of the measurements needed just go to their website and helpline,

I had a reply in a couple of days

good luck with the job, ask them also about lubrication

Hope this helps,

best Pete
quote:
I am looking for an OEM style three finger set-up, not Center Force.

One option I have used with full success is to have your old clutch disc resurfaced, your pressure plate rebuilt, and your flywheel resurfaced.

A good rebuild shop will know as soon as they view your clutch disc that something is different. A GOOD shop will know it came from a Pantera.

In any case, as long as the rebuilder is made aware of the disc thickness issue, and the lack of large counterweights on the three fingers (should one need replacing) any competent shop can easily make your stock pieces good for another 45 years.

Larry
I also ordered one of the precision machined pilot bushings available on eBay from the Machinist who also fabricates the water inlet brass restrictor plates. My pilot bushing looked okay but after 45 years and with everything out of the engine bay, now is the time replace these wear items.

Is there a suggested minimum flywheel thickness for surface machining?

Thanks again to all for information and suggestions.

usmcfred

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.